August 2014 Moms

Advice needed/formula questions

Recently I am having a hard time with BFing.  I nursed my first for 22 months so I know I am capable of it, but #2 is so different.  I cut out dairy for him and he seemed to be doing better.  Less fussy, less gassy, less spitty, no more green mucous poop.  Then I decided to change our eating habits and cut out grains and sugars too.  During that time I started to seem like I was losing my milk supply and he went back to being fussy and gassy.  I was eating a lot more veggies but not the ones I knew would cause gas like broccoli and cabbage.  Now I am back to eating like I normally would and it is like he still is just uncomfortable all the time and he spits up so much. I know he doesn't have reflux because we had him checked already. It is really starting to get me down. I feel like I am doing something wrong and ruining him. I am contemplating switching him to formula but I don't have formula knowledge.  How much would an almost 4 month old 16# baby typically go through in a week?  Part of the reason I BF is because it is free and we are on a tight budget for a few weeks.  I am not a person who feels like formula is horrible for babies so that isn't what is holding me back, but I haven't even switched him and I already feel so much guilt for even thinking about it.  And if he has a dairy sensitivity when nursing, would he need a dairy free formula?  Someone tell me I'm not selfish for just wanting it easy.  These first 3 months have been so hard dealing with all this and a toddler and going to school full time.

Re: Advice needed/formula questions

• I don't know anything about formula, but one thing I remember is that babies who have the milk allergy often have the soy allergy too. Would cutting out soy be an option? I imagine it would be incredibly hard to do that because it is in so many things. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide. Breastfeeding is hard enough in and of itself, and it has to be so tough to be dealing with these kinds of issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Long story short, I was hoping I would be able to EBF, and it didn't happen. I wasn't producing, and I was so stressed out. It wasn't until she had a hypoglycemic scare at the hospital that I realized I was gonna have to EFF. It wasn't until her 2 month check up (when I learned how big she had gotten) that my guilt finally subsided. LO has been growing like a weed. Born at 17inches and 7#3oz, she is now 14 1/2 weeks old and 24 inches and 13#8oz. She is incredibly healthy. Formulas nowadays are so close to breast milk, and while they are expensive, they are keeping my kid extremely healthy and well-fed. LO is on Enfamil Gentleease. She eats 4-6oz every 2 1/2-3 hours during the day. I buy the tub refills, which usually run $35-37 for 2lbs. It will last me (I think) about 1 1/2-2 weeks. I'm sorry I can't help answer your questions about the dairy free stuff, but I know there are formulas out there.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also had a very difficult time with breastfeeding and switched to EFF at 3 months. I felt terribly guilty and like a failure for a few days, but once she was finally weaned I also felt enormous relief. She takes from 4-6 ounces a feeding (usually 4) every 2-3 hours for a total of about 26-29 ounces. She had been waking once in the MOTN to feed, but for the last two nights slept 11 hours without waking. Good luck whatever you decide to do. I hope your LO feels better soon.
  • I can't tell you how much your LO would need but we use Similac Complete Nutrition (Stage 1)- LO will be 12 weeks Monday, drinks 5oz every 3 hours usually. She also goes between 10-11 hours a night (not attributing that to formula as she has always been a good sleeper, even in my belly!). We go to Sam's Club in Des Moines and get the big tubs for $30. They usually last a week or two. If we went to our local WalMart, they have smaller tubs for $25 so definitely shop around if you can! Another thing is to sign up for coupons from the brand. We got like 4 $5off coupons. Awesome!

I wanted to switch to a different brand like Parents Choice, but I learned that Similac is the only one (that I've read) that does not contain palm olein which can be a little harder on the stomach.

I can't comment on the dairy issue because we didn't have that- sorry! Formula definitely gets to be expensive in the 4-6 months because they are still taking in quite a bit until they start getting enough from solids.
  • My LO has a dairy allergy which yes typically means soy allergy as well. If I would have stuck with pumping I would have quickly found her allergy as I eat a lot of dairy and soy. I commend for already cutting your diet because I know that's not something I could do.

She has to be on special formula. Its 27-30$ a can (1lb) and lasts about 5 days....it makes 115oz the can says. Its a similac product. Alimentum.

Try not to feel bad. I often think I should try to nurse LO again, since km still lactating some (earlier post) but I know giving up dairy and soy and her schedule just wouldnt be right. You've done extremely well so far. Formula has all its benefits.
  • Your LO sounds a lot like mine. I've cut out dairy and also soy and seen quite a difference. We've also started giving her probiotics (Gerber Soothe) and she has been so much happier the past week. Might be worth a try!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Thanks all! In the midst of cutting out food I never even considered a probiotic. I will give that a try before making a decision on switching and see how it goes.
  • We use Costco formula. $18 for a can that lasts about 1-1.5 weeks. He drinks 6 oz. at a time (typically), and eats 5-6 times a day (usually only 5).

Oh, he's almost 4 months (17 weeks on Monday). He's a chunk. We think he's about 17 lbs now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"