Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Reducing or stopping sterilization of bottles

Any thoughts/advise on when to reduce or stop sterilizing bottles, etc...?  My son is 4 months and 2 weeks old and I currently use a sterilizer.

Re: Reducing or stopping sterilization of bottles

• Options
    Pedi said no more sterilizing and tap water is ok. Babies immunities are better now.
  • Options
    You really don't need to do it at all except for before first use and it's a good idea to do it if they've been sick or you dropped the bottle on the floor of a public bathroom or something :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never did except when bottles were new. I'd say you're fine to stop unless LO is immuno-compromised for some reason.

• Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    I only sterilized before first use. Now I put the bottles in the dishwasher and run with the sterilize setting, but that's only because nothing in the dishwasher gets dry if I don't run it with the sterilize setting. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for the responses. Really appreciate it!
  • Options
    roo1oo said:

I only sterilized before first use. Now I put the bottles in the dishwasher and run with the sterilize setting, but that's only because nothing in the dishwasher gets dry if I don't run it with the sterilize setting. 

Exactly this.
  • Options
    I sterilize everything still at 5 months. but we dont have a dishwasher and we're on a well that didn't pass inspection (on a scale of 0 to infinity it got a 2 which isnt horrible). but i don't even drink that water so i sterilize everything with distilled water.
  • Options
    peitripeitri member
    Never sterilized my bottles. Just wash in warm water with soap.
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• Options
    I sterilize everything still at 5 months. but we dont have a dishwasher and we're on a well that didn't pass inspection (on a scale of 0 to infinity it got a 2 which isnt horrible). but i don't even drink that water so i sterilize everything with distilled water.
    We still sterilize everything too. But it's mostly due to the fact that we don't have a dishwasher and my nephew ended up getting thrush when he was little even though they actually -had- a dishwasher.
    Became Stepmomma to the world's best little boy, Marcus, on November 1, 2009!
    BFP On December 7, 2013! Due August 8, 2014!
    Reese made his arrival on August 13, 2014 after 42 hours of labor!

BFP on April 2, 2015, estimated due date is December 6, 2015!
    Teryn made his arrival on December 6, 2015 after only 15 short hours of labor!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I stopped at 1 month he is now 5 months.
  • Options
    We still sterilize daily a at 4 months, but our community recently had an E. coli scare so we will continue to sterilize. We don't typically drink the water either.
  • Options
    I use the dishwasher daily and will continue to do so.

I also purchased the munchkin sterilizing bags which are great for binkys, breast pump accessories, etc.
  • Options
    I never sterilized either, except when I first took them out of the box. Just hot water and soap for us. 
  • Options
    I stopped when my little one was about 1 month old. Honestly, the biggest reason was i was running out of counter space in my kitchen. But I figured that as long as I wash them with hot soap and water, rinse and dry them completely, there is not much of a risk.
  • Options
    roo1oo said:
    You totally just gave me NBR advice !! i just got a new dishwasher (first one) and i didn't know what i was doing wrong and why my dishes were still somewhat wet when it was done. 

• Options
    OMG. I feel like such a moron. I didn't realize it was ok to stop sterilizing. With my first I did it FOREVER. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"