Parenting after a Loss

Formula Supplement & Breastfeeding Question

Hi ladies! I'll post a birth story & announcement soon :-) we came home today and I have a question.

My lil guy struggled with latching at first (frenulum was clipped 2 days ago) and is getting better & stronger (delivered at 37w3d csect). We were also separated for a day while he was in NICU.

He has dropped enough weight that I'm having to supplement formula along with my breast milk. I'm fine with this. Overnights I really struggle, and I'm thinking about just pumping but not actually trying to get him to take my breast. Does anybody have any advice or thoughts on this?

And to clarify, I've been pumping after every feeding. Typically we try a breast (max 10-15mins because latching can be such an issue), then Baby gets my pumped milk and then the formula supplement.

TLDR: I'm wanting to try overnights only as an EP'er. Any advice or thoughts?

I also have a f/u appt on Mon for lil man and to see the lactation consultant.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: Formula Supplement & Breastfeeding Question

• Thanks @meagpt22‌ ! Hearing your story makes me feel much better already.

I know my milk will come in, as I feel fairly confident with getting 3-6mLs of milk at each pump session.

I too think that a bottle will help, he's gotta learn one for when I return to work anyways. I might try the nipple shield again today just to see.

image    image

• First, congratulations on the arrival of your little man! I hope you are both doing well (feeding issues aside) at home.

Second, I think meagpt22 gave some great advice. Definitely not an all or nothing situation. I hope the LC helps you develop a game plan that you are comfortable with.

As for trying EPing overnights, I don't think there is any harm in trying it out this weekend and asking the LC about it on Monday. I kind of stumbled into EPing so I do caution that it was a slippery slope for me. But, again, everyone is different and there are so many ways this whole process can go.

Hope you and your little guy find your groove soon!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • We had to supplement with formula until my milk came in. DS was a big boy when he was born and wasn't getting enough from me. I would nurse then feed him formula right after. Once my milk came in 4 days after he was born he was content. And went back to EBF really easy! Don't feel bad about supplementing. Whatever keeps baby fed and happy!
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Happyin14‌ so I'm pumping on babys feeding schedule to try and increase my supply. So what we've been doing during the day is trying my breast first, then giving the milk I had pumped in the previous session, then formula.

After all that I pump again for stimulation purposes and to have some breast milk for his next feeding session.

I'm 5days post partum and am able to pump 3-5mL of breast milk every couple of hours. I'm planning on trying to get back to EBF if my milk really comes in and baby starts gaining weight back.

image    image

• I was EPer for the 95% of the time M was in the NICU for 4 weeks, so I pumped around the clock.  When we brought her home, she was just starting to BF.  We did two things.  Some nights I would try to BF, and then DH would feed her and keep her upright while I pumped.  Some nights when I just absolutely needed sleep, I would just pump and then and let DH do a bottle feed.  As she got stronger, and more efficient, I would just BF at night and dropped pumping at night. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • Nice to see you here, and congratulations on the arrival of your little guy! Best of luck working toward a plan that is best for you both, whatever that may be. It's all good :)

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• We struggled with breastfeeding too. I hope things get better soon. I don't have any useful advice since I just ended up pumping all the time. (((hugs)))
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• OK first of all? You have a BABY!!! So excited for you. As for supplementing, we struggled too. If the idea is that pumping while DH gives a bottle takes less time than bfing and means you will all get more sleep, do it. He can still bf during the day when you aren't as exhausted, and eventually his skills will hopefully improve enough that MOTN bfing will be NBD.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Breastfeeding has been a struggle for us as well.  I have a low supply, so we have to supplement every feeding.  I hope things get easier for you!
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!
  • Update: 

Baby John is only 3oz less than his birthweight! So the formula supplementing has paid off!! The lactation consultant said that I'm doing everything I can to try and increase my supply. I started taking fenugreek and the LC still encourages putting baby to breast to help with stimulation. 

We still aren't doing too well at the breast, both of us get frustrated. Each time I pump I've been getting about 15mL or 0.5oz of breastmilk. So he's been getting my breastmilk and then the formula, which he eats 2oz/60mL of formula at each feeding.

@kateitho out of curiosity, since you have a low supply, how much breastmilk are you producing and how much are you supplementing at this point?

image    image

• I'm only able to pump an ounce or less at a time, even before feeding DS.  I just let him nurse until he gets frustrated/bored, then he gets 2 1/2- 3oz of bottle.  I just make 3oz, and let him have as much as he wants.
    BFP 11/24/2012  MMC 1/21/2013 - BFP 3/29/2013  MC 4/8/2013 - BFP 4/25/2013 MC 5/6/2013 - 5/17/2013 Diagnosed with LPD - BFP 8/24/13  MC 9/6/2013
    BFP: 12/19/13  - Beta 1@11dpo: 26.8 - Beta 6@23dpo: 3,672
    Our Rainbow Son Born August 26, 2014
    Lilypie - (nueR)
    All ALers welcome!

• Veganlady said:
    I saw three different lactation consultants before we were totally dialed in. For me, it was valuable to have more perspectives and suggestions, because you never know what will work for you and your LO.

Things that helped me: Pumping a tiny bit just to get a letdown, then putting him to breast. He didn't have to work so hard and got instantly rewarded for a good latch. 
    Fenugreek - take it until you can smell it on your skin. Seriously, I read that on Kellymom or some such. That's how you know you have enough in your system to help.
    Try, try again.

Best of luck to you
    Yep, my armpits smeed like I used maple syrup for deodorant :)
    @mamato3boys how much fenugreek were you taking? The LC recommended 3 tablets, 3 times a day = 9 tablets a day. So I started doing that wed evening/yesterday.

image    image

• @KMW08 I took 4 fenugreek capsules twice a day with meals.   It took almost a week before I started noticing a big improvement, but it did work for me.  I also ate lactation cookies, and drank tons and tons of water.   I could never stomach mother's milk tea. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"