Stay at Home Moms
Options

Are the parents at your kids preschool cliquey?

Or do parents even talk to one another for that matter? I feel like the ones at DD's preschool are. A lot of gparents do pick up and drop offs and also many parents just run in and out, then a few hang around and talk. It's freezing here now anyway, but I was letting her since the beginning of school, play out in the yard with the other kids when school was over. It would usually only be about 6-7 of them there, but literally not a single parent has ever come up to me to talk, or said anything for that matter. I have numerous times went up and started conversations, and then when I see the mom the next time, I get a stare like who are you, as I smile. I'm thinking of just having her go right in the car now when school is over.

It's a small, church run school. The church is Christian, we are Catholic, so we don't attend the church. The school doesn't teach religion though. It was one of 2 schools close to home within our budget which is why I sent her there. Also, the teacher said orientation night that the majority of the class was together last year for the 2 year old program. DD wasn't. So, I'm not sure if it's maybe like this bc their kids were together last year, maybe most of the parents attend the church, who knows. But I hate just standing around holding my baby blending into the background lol. Even some of the kids seem cliquey as I've seen DD, who is very friendly, go to play with some of the girls to be yelled at "Oh I'm not playing with you" or ignored. She always talks about a boy in class and another girl, so I know she has at least 2 friends and she seems to lover her teacher.

So has anyone else experienced this? Do parents talk to one another at your kids school?

Re: Are the parents at your kids preschool cliquey?

• Options
    KeeptruckinKeeptruckin member
    edited November 2014
    Yes! First we did play school where parents attended. I loved all the parents and we all talked. Then we switched to a regular preschool when she turned 3 and it was very much like high school. There were the ones who thought they were real housewives. They only spoke to each other, I would listen and all they spoke about was their nannies slacking off and the gym. Finally one day I smiled at another mom and just started talking. It was a bit better but I think the real housewife types intimidated all the rest of us. Now DD goes to a Montessori charter school and all of us parents talk. We are all crunchy types, no real housewife types lol. It's much friendlier.
  • Options

Oh man lol. Yeah, there's no house wife types at mine, just that the few who are always outside literally only talk to each other. It's as though I have the plague to ask "Hey is that your daughter?" or something friendly. Guess I won't be asking for playdates anytime soon lol.

She won't be going there next year though for Pre-K at age 4, so I'm not sure if I should even give a hoot.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Preschool has been great, especially DD's class the last two years. DS's is still friendly. Kindergarten, though...that seems surprisingly clique-y already. Maybe it's just that everyone is busy and lots of them have older kids and are past the "let's bond!" stage.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes but I live in near a military base and it is where a big school is so many times, people are only here for a year (like us).  The locals seem to know each other and have their own little clique from when their older kids went to the preschool.  The parents of the other kids in DS2s class are really nice and we've chatted some during drop off and pick up.  
  • Options
    DS2's preschool is pretty cliquish.  A lot of the families live in the same giant subdivision, so I think they are familiar with one another.  We do not live in the same subdivision nor do we go to church at the preschool, so I don't know a lot of the moms.  However, I always say hi and my son does play with the same girl every day after school.  I talk with her grandmother but we aren't great friends or anything.  

However, my older son's elementary school is the opposite.  Everyone is friendly there and hangs out while the kiddos run around.  

I agree with those who said to not let it get to you.  Remember preschool is really for your kiddo (s) so look at it in that sense.  
  • Options
    I don't even get out of my car at pick up and drop off at my boys' preschool.  That was part of the reason I chose that school for them this year.  It sucks to try to drag two kids threw a parking lot with people who don't give a fig about how fast or how crazy they are driving.  Last year they were at a school I had to get out and take them in and pick them up.  It was a small group and no one really knew each other... but I found out that a mom had been a nanny for a member of my twin club. So we started talking, our boys get along and now she is a friend.
  • Options
    DochasDochas member
    edited November 2014
    For the most part no, but there are people who are.  There's usually several kids playing so you don't notice the ones who completely ignore everyone (including the misbehaving children) but their clique.  There is one Mom who I talked to quite a bit at the start of the year.  One day there was someone she knew well and it was like I wasn't even standing there.  It was just the 3 of us too.  I don't know why people are so rude and hurtful.  Luckily the kids aren't like that.

adding - I'm only talking about the people who stay and let their kids play after pickup.  There's plenty of people who leave right after but there's a core group of kids that all want to play after school.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    just saw this and thought it was cute
    (dont know the author just read the article)

The only one I fit is frantic mom lol!
  • Options
    I definitely attempt to chat, but often, I think that they are on a mission. They have to get home, cook dinner & get the kids to bed. Many of them work long hours. I'm the only SAHM I know in the group.

It's not cliquey-ness as much as I can't really relate sometimes. My schedule is very relaxed & so I don't have to worry about late drop off or pick up for DD.

Also, DD only goes 3 times a week. So, I don't necessarily get to see the parents that often. I drop off late (9am) & pick up early. So I miss most of the parents that work the 8am-6pm.

At the parties I've tried to get to know the parents, but it can be hard to break the ice.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"