Chit Chat
Options

Do you keep a photography blog?

edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
Tell me about it. I've been trying to get going for like, ever now and it seems like I just get more and more overwhelmed. I'm pretty much flying blind here. 
What do you blog with? Do you use something like Blogger or WordPress? If you use WP, can you talk to me like I'm a child about how to get started? Where do you host your photos that you share on your blog? I use flickr for my private, personal blog but I've been told things like, "I use WP and ProPhoto" which means about zero to me. I've pretty much never felt more stupid :/
I have a website, I have a registered domain name, I just want to link a blog to my website. I know how to use blogger- I've been using it for 7 years. Should I just keep on, even though my pro blog site won't have a super professional name (www.businessname.blogspot.com) My H said he can set it up, so that the blog address would be blog.businessname.com -- since I already own the domain name. I don't even know what I'm saying :/ GAH. 
no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
 Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Do you keep a photography blog?

• Options
    Sorry I've been MIA - just returned from vacation!

I have a blog. Mine is powered by Wordpress, with the photo files hosted on my domain. Basically, I host through Dreamhost.com, so I have an account with them. I have Wordpress installed on my domain, and when I want to make a new post, I log-in to Wordpress and update it through their interface. The photos I use go into a folder located on my domain. So on my dreamhost account, I have a few folders: Content (pics for my site), Backups (self-explanatory), and Wordpress. I believe at some point I set up Wordpress to tell it where to upload photos I add to posts, so that when I use their interface it goes immediately into the right place on my domain. I hope that isn't all too confusing! 

As far as the name goes, if you already have a domain, I would set it up so that it goes domain.com/blog or blog.domain.com. That seems to be the industry standard. However, do consider the audience of your blog and how they'll be getting to it. If your blog is going to feature mostly "first looks" and "sneak peaks" of sessions, then they're probably going to be posted to and accessed from Facebook, meaning most people will never type in the web address and won't notice the domain name anyway. If you're handing out business cards that have a link to your blog printed on them, then I'd make sure you use the professional domain. So basically, if you're looking to attract professionals, use domain. For casual Facebook clickers, whatever is probably fine. 
  • Options
    I got it set up, finally. We have a server or server space or something, and I do have a website and domain name. My work blog is blog.website.com :) I was able to get WP working for me :)
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"