Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Short term disability ins for maternity leave???

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are currently trying to get pregnant, but my employer does not offer Short term disability insurance.  I saw a few people mention that AFLAC has a policy that they offer, but only after a 10 mo waiting period can you collect.  Can anyone tell me if the 10 months have to be prior to conception or  if I were to become pregnant a few months from now and give birth after the 10 mo period it would be covered?  Sorry if that is confusing... I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to word what I want to say. LOL

TIA
Heather
BabyFruit Ticker
Evan 16mos (10/15/15)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Short term disability ins for maternity leave???

• Options
    mandy522mandy522 member
    edited November 2014
    The exclusionary period almost always starts prior to pregnancy, not prior to payout (ie you can't be pregnant when you sign up and just wait 10 months for benefits). But you could call AFLAC or your insurance broker to confirm their specific policy restrictions.

ETA words because this wasn't really clear before.
    January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Options
    That's what I was affraid of :( Thanks for your help!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Evan 16mos (10/15/15)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That would be wonderful! I should have planned for this earlier... oops!  I will be calling Monday to find out the costs, but just wondered if I was still in the clear or if I need to start making other plans.  Thanks!! I hope to hear the same news!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Evan 16mos (10/15/15)
  • Options
    estakis said:

I have short term disability through AFLAC. I can only speak for my plan - it won't pay out in the first 10 months of the plan. So basically you can't already be pregnant when you sign up for it as pregnancy will be considered a pre-existing condition. But, if you sign up for it now and get pregnant no sooner than a month or so from now, you should be good. This info came directly from my agent's mouth who I just met with last week to discuss. I hope that helps!

This is exactly what my agent told me, too.
    I don't remember exactly what I pay per month, but it's very reasonable.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have this insurance through my work. The 10 month waiting period means you can't have a baby sooner than 10 months from the effective date.

I have heard that you can only get the Aflac short term disability plan if your employer offers it. In other words I don't think you can just call Aflac and sign up as an individual like you can with their other plans. I could be wrong though so it is worth a call to them to find out.

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Options
    I too seem to recall that AFLAC is only available through an employer, at least that's how I got my policy. I bet you could work with a broker to find something that meets your needs. I think I pay $60 a month, and the payout ends up being 3 to 4 paychecks worth of income.

BabyGaga
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Movie Couple
  • Options
    estakis said:

I have short term disability through AFLAC. I can only speak for my plan - it won't pay out in the first 10 months of the plan. So basically you can't already be pregnant when you sign up for it as pregnancy will be considered a pre-existing condition. But, if you sign up for it now and get pregnant no sooner than a month or so from now, you should be good. This info came directly from my agent's mouth who I just met with last week to discuss. I hope that helps!

This is what my plan does too.
  • Options
    Work already covers std without my having to pay a premium for it. However, I had the option of enrolling through work for a couple of aflac policies right now, so I signed up for hospital indemnity. Unfortunately it won't pay out if I get KU before Feb. 1 (which is my effective date)...kind of wondering if I should bench myself, actually. But for $20 a month I'm willing to gamble. 
    Anniversary
    Me: 27 | DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 10/14
  • Options
    I've been thinking about adding this plan but the 10 months is difficult to manage with actively TTC. It would be a game of chance for me.
  • Options
    Now I am really wishing I had signed up for the extra STD plan thru my employer. We have maternity leave, but its solely based on your PTO bank. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
  • Options
    dmsmthdmsmth member
    edited November 2014
    I am pretty sure it's before payout.  I had it when I had #1 and I got pregnant with in the 10 months of signing up and they still payed out my std.

I guess I need to add after reading a few posts, that we got paid some but not a ton.  It certainly helped because I had no paid leave other than vaca days.  I was able to stay out for 10 weeks with #1 between vaca days and the std.  With #2 I had no std and we could only afford for me to stay out 6 weeks.  Let me tell you, that if that 6 weeks was for baby #1 I would have never made it.  I bounced back much faster the 2nd time around and was used to no sleep etc still, so 6 weeks wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

The us severely lacks in any good maternity leave.  It's sad and depressing :(  I really hope one day it changes, so at least my girls won't have to worry about the BS I had to worry about :(

m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"