Baby Showers

baby shower food?

My mom and sister are throwing my baby shower January 24th. I am due March 23rd. It will be inside but I'm not sure how much access we will have to outlets for hot food. It will be cold here in Southern Illinois so I feel like hot food would be more appropriate but not entirely possible.

The shower will be from 1-3 and will have about 30-40 people. The theme is a vintage baseball theme.

With that said...Does anyone have any finger food ideas? We have chicken salad and crackers and I am bringing hot chocolate and punch. Any suggestions are wonderful!

Re: baby shower food?

• I guess I'm just use to being the one throwing parties for everyone else so for them to do it for me I feel like I should be helping :/ I thought about hotdogs or little smokies but they wouldn't be able to stay hot.
  • They actually asked what I wanted to eat there. To which I had no response lol. Hence my post.
  • Loading the player...
  • You guys are hilarious. She didn't ask if she could/should help with cooking. She asked for some food ideas.

How about:
    - wraps cut into sections with toothpicks in them
    - hummus and veggies
    - 7 layer dip
    - broccoli slaw
    - cold cuts and cheese plate
    - Chinese chicken salad with crunchy noodles
    - could do some hot dishes and use crockpots to keep em warm- queso, mini hot dogs, meatballs, tamales

• I agree with pp it's a gift for you so think of what sounds yummy and tell them. Let them work it out. They were kind enough to ask what you wanted if you can't think of anything tell them to have what ever they please.
  • Crock pot items would be good- a few of my fav crockpot appetizers:
    -Meatballs (just add meatballs, bbq sauce and grape jelly- I promise they are good!)
    -pulled pork
    both of the above can be served with Hawaiian rolls.

Also, you can buy the metal tins/warming trays to keep food warm.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love going to Costco and ordering all sorts of trays and heating up the good frozen dips and apps when I'm hostessing but that's just me.

Tell them whatever they serve is great. :)

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • You guys are hilarious. She didn't ask if she could/should help with cooking. She asked for some food ideas.
    Since she left out the detail that she was asked by the hosts, her OP sounded like she wanted to help plan the party. That will get called out here. Plain and simple.

Doesn't mean it's not hilarious!  Plain and simple 
    ;)
  • lilhenry89lilhenry89 member
    edited October 2014
    Thank you for being one to not jump to conclusions and more importantly not judging someone else's decisions. If I did want to help so what? I am better off than a lot of my family so I don't mind helping but that wasn't the case here. I simply asked for food suggestions.
  • I didn't ask for any one to give their opinion on my choices. I simply asked for recipes or ideas so when it comes to butting out maybe you should take your own advice.
  • It's a public forum. People will and can comment however and on whatever they want. For recipes there are cook books and google if you would like no opinions on anything else.
  • I think is perfectly fine if you want to help, especially if your hostesses are asking for your input. It doesn't mean she is co-hosting, she is just letting them know what she'd like to eat per their request.
  • Crockpots as much as possible. If you have to leave them plugged into random locations till the party starts.

Queso rotel dip
    Meatballs
    Things to dip in queso
    some chilli or soup

Keep it simple.
    Mini sands work just fine.

There is nothing wrong with helping. But once your told to sit. Avoid the drama and go sit.

Pinterest foods. Much more helpful.
  • deafy2006 said:
    Crockpots as much as possible. If you have to leave them plugged into random locations till the party starts. Queso rotel dip Meatballs Things to dip in queso some chilli or soup Keep it simple. Mini sands work just fine. There is nothing wrong with helping. But once your told to sit. Avoid the drama and go sit. Pinterest foods. Much more helpful.

FWIW consider seating if you are going to serve chili or soup. It is hard to eat these types of foods seated without a table. Also if guests are invited to bring their children who are still nursing it is darn near impossible to gracefully eat soup and nurse a baby. Just saying.

MTB should NOT be helping at all. It is tacky and rude to "backseat" drive your own party. The party is a gift. You should trust the women who want to throw it--they are your closest friends, right?

The hostesses should handle the party planning, too. Honestly someone who is going to throw you a baby shower should know what types of food you like and what you're allergic to at the very least. If you have a terrible allergy to something or are on some kind of restriction it is OK to remind but again, all of my friends know I can't have shrimp or shellfish--and don't serve it or order it if we are at a restaurant. This is not new news.

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • When my hostess asked me what kind of food I wanted, I said I thought some kind of cake would be nice, but that anything that she chose would be great.  When pressed further, I said snacks, or lunch foods, or brunch foods - really anything would be lovely. I don't want to be difficult by not being specific, but I really wanted her to feel free to plan whatever she is comfortable with in terms of her budget and time.  I imagine when the date gets closer she will ask again, or run the menu by me, but I plan to just say, "that sounds wonderful - thanks so much."  

• You can always do dessert fondue. I've done a chocolate and a caramel fondue at parties before... It's technically warm and very versatile (there is always something for everyone). You can just cut up a large variety of fruit, have some different cookies/wafers, marshmallows, etc. I've always received tons of compliments when I've done this at parties.

I don't think asking for feedback on food is necessarily bad, it depends on the situation too. I'm a huge foodie and cook/bake extensively (i.e. I sell cakes on the side and have catered small events for friends). For my bridal shower, my MOH told me her ideas for the food because she didn't want to leave anything out. She's NOT a cook but took so much time and effort creating a menu that A. She could make and B. Was cute and shower appropriate that I didn't have a problem listening and telling her how amazing it was (and it was perfect! All her effort really paid off). She was so cute and concerned that I would love everything, it was so out of her element. I think answering their questions if they ask is fine, but don't follow up or mention it again. I didn't want to be rude or stress her out unnecessarily by not giving her an answer.
  • Glad I looked for this, would've gotten snarled at for posted a duplicateish post lol.

I'm going with finger foods... 

What I've decided on for NOW (baby shower won't be until March lol - I have issues):

-Tea sandwiches - the cute ones with the crust cut off lol. (Which I will make on my own)
    -Cocktail shrimp and sauce - which I will buy.
    -Potato skins, don't know if I'll make or buy these...
    -Onion flower, like the blooming onion at Outback - I'll make this.
    -Bacon warpped tater tots (NOM NOM) - I'll make these.
    -Mac and cheese cups - I'll make these (make the mac and cheese then bake it in well Pam'd cupcake trays so they hold their form)
    -crock pot kielbasa (on tooth picks) - I'll make.
    and a fruit and cheese tray.

I'll have a big old dispenser with lemonade, and I'll be putting blueberries in it. I'll also have water and some sodas as well. But those will be out of the pretty table display lol.
    Second pregnancy, God willing - first baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker

5w0d: HCG 4,300
    5w2d: HCG 15,179  Prog: 27.9
    5w4d: HCG 18,000  Prog: 39 

6w3d: Heartbeat 119
  • @mandjs - I want to be a part of it, and I enjoy cooking - she doesn't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of food more than maybe a large cheese pizza from Dominos, and she will burn the house down trying to cook it. Therefore, I am 'lending a hand' in the kitchen to make those foods. And like I said about the money, that goes for decor as well, therefore, I am purchasing all the decor so that there is decor. She can have a blast setting everything up - but I truly want a memorable day, and not just sitting in our empty living room eating cheese pizza. I'll take my Tacky crown that you people have ever so graciously given me. 
    Second pregnancy, God willing - first baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker

5w0d: HCG 4,300
    5w2d: HCG 15,179  Prog: 27.9
    5w4d: HCG 18,000  Prog: 39 

6w3d: Heartbeat 119
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited November 2014
    @mandjs - I want to be a part of it, and I enjoy cooking - she doesn't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of food more than maybe a large cheese pizza from Dominos, and she will burn the house down trying to cook it. Therefore, I am 'lending a hand' in the kitchen to make those foods. And like I said about the money, that goes for decor as well, therefore, I am purchasing all the decor so that there is decor. She can have a blast setting everything up - but I truly want a memorable day, and not just sitting in our empty living room eating cheese pizza. I'll take my Tacky crown that you people have ever so graciously given me. 

Here's your crown...
  • I would not bring anything. That is not your job.

Asking you what you want does not communicate to you that you are responsible to bring said items. The Guest of Honor can definitely make suggestions on food, but it is up to the hostess to provide the food & means to serve it properly.

If you'd like suggestions that heat & serve well:

Baked spaghetti & meatballs
    Tamales
    Steamed red bean buns or moon cakes
    Chicken legs or fried chicken
    Hot dogs with fixings (hot dog bar?)

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Crock pot items would be good- a few of my fav crockpot appetizers:

-Meatballs (just add meatballs, bbq sauce and grape jelly- I promise they are good!)
    -pulled pork
    both of the above can be served with Hawaiian rolls.

Also, you can buy the metal tins/warming trays to keep food warm.  
    A big yes to the meatballs with bbq/jelly! So yummy.

I threw a shower for a friend of mine and we did grilled jalapeño poppers, croissants, grape and cheese bowls, and a cracker/cheese/meat platter. Also tons of chips and desserts of course. It was in the mid afternoon so we didn't have tons of big stuff. But those are some options! I love little smokies so of course I would do that!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MandJS said:

I want to be a part of it, and I enjoy cooking - she doesn't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of food more than maybe a large cheese pizza...I am purchasing all the decor so that there is decor. She can have a blast setting everything up - but I truly want a memorable day, and not just sitting in our empty living room eating cheese pizza. I'll take my Tacky crown that you people have ever so graciously given me. 

@LindsMichelle‌ : what the ever-loving fuck?! How shallow & condescending can you be?! I cannot believe you.

Let me get this straight: your friend is willing to take what little money they have to throw you a party & you turn your nose up at any attempt she makes? A simple party with pizza is still very nice & she wants to gift it to you!

My BFF threw my shower in 2011 with some cute dollar store decorations, cake & punch. She got a sub tray from subway & called it done. Everyone LOVED it. No, it wasn't fancy, catered or Pinterest-perfect. However, it was a gift from my BFF to me full of love. I didn't come on line to tell everyone how poor she was & how her attempts offended my sensibilities.

That's pretty shitty of you, man.

From what she's posted, LindsMichelle isn't even talking about a friend, but her own mother
    Sweet tap-dancing Christ. How unbelievably entitled. My heart hurts for her mom. If we can sense her distain & judgment of her hostess' situation through words on a thread, can you imagine the haughty, nose-in-the-air vibe she gives off in person?

X_X

It's so sad! :(

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"