Baby Showers

Shower or not?

Husband has two kids from previous marriage ages 12 and 13. I have been with their dad since they were 4 and 5. This is my first child. Is it appropriate to have a baby shower even though I'm already a mom?

Re: Shower or not?

• AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited November 2014
    I think it's fine because you are becoming a first time biological mom.
  • Loading the player...
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited November 2014
    Only if someone offers and it's just his side of the family since your's already celebrated with you.
    I think you got that backwards.  The H has kids, it's the OP's first biological child.

You're right I sure did!
    Never post after taking meds that make you loopy :D
  • I've always been confused about "a shower is to welcome you into motherhood" part of shower etiquette. How does biology play into that? So you arent a mother until you have biological children? She has kids, and is a mom. How would a shower be okay for this but not for any other mom having a shower after the first child? 

Please note Im not trying to be controversial just genuinely curious.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • jaztastic said:
    I've always been confused about "a shower is to welcome you into motherhood" part of shower etiquette. How does biology play into that? So you arent a mother until you have biological children? She has kids, and is a mom. How would a shower be okay for this but not for any other mom having a shower after the first child? 

Please note Im not trying to be controversial just genuinely curious.

now if they adopted the children together and had a shower for that I would say no but these are his kid from a previous relationship and are not children they chose to have together. Am I making any sense?
    The only exception for a second baby shower is when it's one of the parent's first.
    This I can get behind. But Ive seen some flamings for his first, but not hers. Although more times than not the suggestion is to limit the guest list to the one side where its a first.  
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • If someone offers to throw you one, then yeah I see no reason why not.

You are a mother to your step children, but this would be your first child that you are raising from infancy. That is special, for you and your family. I see no reason why you wouldn't have a baby shower. But only if someone offers to throw you one, so it may be a mute point. I'd also be inclined to keep it to your side of the family unless just a few of his relatives really want to be there, like his mom for example. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Baby shower!
    Second pregnancy, God willing - first baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker

5w0d: HCG 4,300
    5w2d: HCG 15,179  Prog: 27.9
    5w4d: HCG 18,000  Prog: 39 

6w3d: Heartbeat 119
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"