Cloth Diapering

Stash Suggestions - Especially flats vs. prefolds

Hi everyone! I'm new on the CD board, but have done some lurking. I have a toddler and am TTC. You all seem exceptionally knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask you some questions. Thank you in advance for your help!

I've been using pockets for almost two years, but I've always gotten leaks. I'm to the point where I want to completely change my stash. I was originally thinking that I would use prefolds and covers, but I like the idea of flats, too. I'm trying to decide between flats and prefolds (or maybe a mix) before Black Friday. I have searched and read some of the archives, but I still have some questions:

- It sounds like many people padfold flats. Is it possible to pin/snappi flats for a toddler? Would that be a nightmare with an active child?

- I think that my toddler is a heavy wetter. We use disposables ON right now, but I'd like to go back to cloth. Are two flats with a doubler a good option or should I try a fitted? I've heard that Sbish OBFs are nice. What are the pros and cons of snaps vs. snapless?

- I have one RaR cover, but I'm not in love with the fit. I'm thinking of getting some Blueberry (Capri and/or Coverall) and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. Do you have any comments on those or suggestions for other covers?

- I'm interested in wool covers ON, but I'm nervous to take the plunge. Can you talk me into/out of it?

Thank you so much! I know that this is really long, but I'm nervous about spending the money to rebuild my stash and then not loving it.

Re: Stash Suggestions - Especially flats vs. prefolds

• The beauty of a pad folded flat for a toddler is that it's quick, easy, and easy to spray. You certainly could pin/snappi with a larger fold like diaper bag, but seriously pad fold is awesome.

I haven't tried flats ON so I can't comment on that. I do use a bamboo prefold with a hemp doubler on my 2 yo and that works great for us.

Pros of a snapped fitted are not having to have a snappi/pin around. Cons are less customizable sizing, and therefore something sized might not last as long.

Love love love my Blueberry Coveralls and capris. Thirsties Duo are good too though. I use both and they both fit over my ON solutions well but also work great with daytime diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• NKview said:
    Hi everyone! I'm new on the CD board, but have done some lurking. I have a toddler and am TTC. You all seem exceptionally knowledgeable, so I thought I'd ask you some questions. Thank you in advance for your help!

I've been using pockets for almost two years, but I've always gotten leaks. I'm to the point where I want to completely change my stash. I was originally thinking that I would use prefolds and covers, but I like the idea of flats, too. I'm trying to decide between flats and prefolds (or maybe a mix) before Black Friday. I have searched and read some of the archives, but I still have some questions:

- It sounds like many people padfold flats. Is it possible to pin/snappi flats for a toddler? Would that be a nightmare with an active child? I only have a few flats so far, and I only use them pad folded. Its fast and easy.

- I think that my toddler is a heavy wetter. We use disposables ON right now, but I'd like to go back to cloth. Are two flats with a doubler a good option or should I try a fitted? I've heard that Sbish OBFs are nice. What are the pros and cons of snaps vs. snapless? I haven't used flats for ON. We have sbish snapless, TTNN, GMD workhorses with 2 hemp doublers, and are just trying out a Tots Bots Bamboozle. Fitteds are great for ON, but I don't see why you couldn't start with flats to see if that works for you first. I like snapless for a customized fit. 

- I have one RaR cover, but I'm not in love with the fit. I'm thinking of getting some Blueberry (Capri and/or Coverall) and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. Do you have any comments on those or suggestions for other covers? Blueberry coveralls are great, esp for overnight as they are very generously cut. I used Thirsties for the NB stage and liked them a lot. I am like best bottoms.

- I'm interested in wool covers ON, but I'm nervous to take the plunge. Can you talk me into/out of it? Haven't tried it yet. Just got one and prepped it this week. 

Thank you so much! I know that this is really long, but I'm nervous about spending the money to rebuild my stash and then not loving it. You could just get one or 2 of several different things and try them out before going all-in. Check out the swap thread here if you don't mind pre-loved - you could get some variety.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm still in the "playing with wool" stage.....I have one wool longie that I have tried a couple of times. I figure that even if I don't get into using it the normal way, I can still put it on ds over a PUL diaper for winter warmth and backup leak proofing.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • We do flats and love them. I have a 15mo old and a baby on the way. Part of what I like about them is that I won't have to sort which diapers are for which kids, flats work for both. Pad fold is a good option but I actually like the Jo fold the best. My DD is a crazy squirmer and I've never been unable to snappi the diaper on. ON we use a GMD workhorse with a bamboo doubler or with a padfolded flat and both work for my HW
  • tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    edited November 2014
    NKview said:

- It sounds like many people padfold flats. Is it possible to pin/snappi flats for a toddler? Would that be a nightmare with an active child?  Probably depends on your kid.  Padfolding has been fine for my toddler... They poop far less as they get older and it's not runny.

- I think that my toddler is a heavy wetter. We use disposables ON right now, but I'd like to go back to cloth. Are two flats with a doubler a good option or should I try a fitted? I've heard that Sbish OBFs are nice. What are the pros and cons of snaps vs. snapless?  I have S'bish - I like them ok... but it took a lot of trial and error to get a wash routine that worked for me to not have Ammonia in the mornings.  (I have really hard water and an HE machine)   I use the S'bish, but I also have success using a flannel receiving blanket padfolded with a padfolded birdseye flat(for my 6 month old boy I do kitefold blanket with padfolded birdseye flat)  I would consider my toddler daughter to be an average wetter, but my son is a heavywetter.  It's a much cheaper option and they wash up so well!  The S'bish is soaked in the morning, with no leaks.  The receiving blankets method hasn't leaked, but also aren't completely saturated.

- I have one RaR cover, but I'm not in love with the fit. I'm thinking of getting some Blueberry (Capri and/or Coverall) and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. Do you have any comments on those or suggestions for other covers? Not a huge fan of the RaR.  I really like my Blueberry Coverall and DuoWraps.  I have a Capri that came today, which seems great, but I haven't used it yet.

- I'm interested in wool covers ON, but I'm nervous to take the plunge. Can you talk me into/out of it? No experience.

Thank you so much! I know that this is really long, but I'm nervous about spending the money to rebuild my stash and then not loving it.

• I love prefolds in part because they are simple and relatively flexable. This time around I'm going with a combo of flats and prefolds (with wool covers). One of my reasons for choosing flats is that they dry so very quickly which can be a big savings in laundry costs. I'm also pretty intrigued by how flexable they are. I'm planning on using the infant prefolds as doublers with the flats to get more use out of them.
  • I use both flats and prefolds almost equally, that's basically all my stash is right now. I think each has it's pro/con and would suggest you have some of both. Flats are great because they are one size and you can't beat the ease of washing and drying. I find prefolds are easier to jelly roll with EBF poop and keep covers reusable better. Even though I'm still in the runny poop stage I padfold the majority of my flats. My LO only poops twice a day usually so padfold is a pretty safe bet. I do prefer flats over prefolds for newborns just because they are trimmer, but I had a lot of newborn covers, so poop leakage wasn't too big of a deal for us.

Since we padfold flats a lot my favourite cover isy Blueberry Capri ones. You don't need the flaps to hold in the flat, but I like them. Flips are okay, but I far prefer my Capri covers. Over prefolds (snappid) we use Best Bottoms and Sweet Pea covers. I liked my Thirsties size one, no complaints, it was a great newborn cover. I have the squirmiest baby ever so sometimes using a snappi or Boingos can be a challenge, thus the padfolded flats.

We just started using wool overnight and it's been great. We use a next-size-up prefolds with a pad folded flat as a doubler. The wool cover was a bit pricey, but wool has great resale if you don't end up liking it. No help with the fitters, I really don't like fitteds, I find them hard to clean/dry.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I really appreciate your input and suggestions! It's good to hear about the potential cleaning difficulties with fitteds. I've had some ammonia problems with my current pockets and I'd like to avoid that in the future. Thank you all for the advice!
  • NKview said:
    I really appreciate your input and suggestions! It's good to hear about the potential cleaning difficulties with fitteds. I've had some ammonia problems with my current pockets and I'd like to avoid that in the future. Thank you all for the advice!
    We're pretty good at brainstorming around that too, hey @freezorburn @mapleme @doeie

• One other comment, well question really......have you tried stuffing your pockets with flats or prefolds?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • One other comment, well question really......have you tried stuffing your pockets with flats or prefolds?
    I haven't. I use primarily homemade cotton inserts that are pretty wide and have multiple layers. I also have a couple of BG diapers with MF inserts. All of my diapers leak almost immediately at the legs.
  • Do your pockets need new leg elastics? (It made a world of difference for us)
    I've always used fitteds at night (with extra inserts/ even prefolds for extra absorption). Sbish are great. GMD workhorses are really nice diapers (and a lot cheaper).
  • Kelly11235Kelly11235 member
    edited November 2014
    Just gonna pimp the weekly swap thread as a great way to get some flats/prefolds/covers for cheap or in trade for some of your pockets.

(edit: left out a word)
  • I had to replace the elastic in mine too... it only lasts so long!  If that's what it is, it's an easy repair.

• Not sure if I saw it mentioned but since you have a toddler you might consider getting larger flats, I think they are 32x32? That way you have option to fold and snappi or pad fold. I have my eye on diaperjunction large bamboo flats, hoping they restock soon!

Prefolds weren't my thing but I have newborn size, LO outgrew the absorbency within 2 weeks. Maybe I need to give bigger sizes a fair chance.

As someone who loves flats but not so much folding them in the middle of the night I just got some GMD workhorses and love them so far. Flats were working ON for us absorbency wise, and you can always add a prefolded flat or trifolded prefold inside the flat. Both are doable but I like options.

As for fitteds, as everyone said, no closure makes them for longer as long as your LO doesn't outgrow the rise. If it were me I'd get enough fitteds (sized up if your LO is in the mid to upper weight range of a size since they are for night anyway and I think bulk is fine at night) for how many ON you need based on wash routine, some flats and some prefolds and see what you like.

Last tid bit.. GMD has great resale value so if you pay a few extra dollars for their clotheez brand prefolds, and get their fitteds which are cheaper than most, you won't lose out on much if you end up hating it all and selling it off. But I don't think that'll happen :)
  • I'm obsessed with flats right now. My kid is busting out of large prefolds at six months old and I'm tired of sizing up.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm obsessed with flats right now. My kid is busting out of large prefolds at six months old and I'm tired of sizing up.
    This x 1000

I have no idea why it took me 2 years to buy them.  Even then it was 'for camping'.  They've been used everyday since

• I wish that I could replace the elastics, but the pockets have always leaked.

The larger flats sound like a good idea. It would be nice to have more fabric to work with. Is there a downside to getting larger flats? (Besides them initially being too big for a potential sibling.) Maybe I'll try a GMD Workhorse, too, to see how it compares ON. 

Thank you all!
  • NKviewNKview member
    edited November 2014
    tjkdlhb said:
    I'm obsessed with flats right now. My kid is busting out of large prefolds at six months old and I'm tired of sizing up.
    This x 1000

I have no idea why it took me 2 years to buy them.  Even then it was 'for camping'.  They've been used everyday since
    I'm hoping this will be me. Nearly two years into CDing, I'm finally throwing in the towel with my other kind.
  • just out of curiosity, what brand of pockets were they?  Were they all the same ones?  Some brands fit my daughter terribly, but fit my son ok.  If I had bought all of a bad for her I'd have sworn off CDs long ago. 

• The larger flats are never really going to be too big because you just fold them up. There's stuff like mini kite fold that can help fold for smaller babies. They would be bulkier since they have more layers. But everything is bulky on a newb.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tjkdlhb said:
    just out of curiosity, what brand of pockets were they?  Were they all the same ones?  Some brands fit my daughter terribly, but fit my son ok.  If I had bought all of a bad for her I'd have sworn off CDs long ago. 
    I have a couple of BGs, but they're mostly homemade (and styled after the BGs). I think we should be able to customize them to fit, but they just aren't working for us and we're kind of frustrated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"