June 2014 Moms
Options

2nd Time's a Charm!

MrsCase1MrsCase1 member
edited November 2014 in June 2014 Moms
I know we did this last year but since we have fresh blood I figured we might glean something new and awesome.

Share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe!

I have had success making a pumpkin "dump" cake, which is where you place a yellow cake (or spice cake, YUM!) in a 9X13 and then pour canned pumpkin on top. If I do it again this year I will also drizzle caramel all over the top. I bake at 350 for about a half an hour.

I'm also going to saute some brussels sprouts with olive oil and pancetta because I think green bean casserole is The Nasty (unless you use fresh green beans, which appears to be an anomaly, LOL.)

Bonus point if you have a cocktail to share. My girlfriend makes a killer sangria that is perfect for any party; I will try to get the recipe but I think it might be Super Secret.

Footnote: on the topic of Super Secret Recipes, I hate when people won't share their recipes. My aunt never would, and then she died after a weeks-long cancer battle. She took all her recipes with her and it makes me heartsick. Not because I ever thought I could make them as well as she did, but because her food held fond memories. I always share even if it is a signature dish. /tangent.
imageimage

Re: 2nd Time's a Charm!

• Options
    My mom usually does the majority of cooking (turkey, stuffing and pies) for Thanksgiving because it's her favorite meal of the year to cook.  

I always do the potatoes though.  I use a mix of gold and russets and add lots of butter and half-and-half.  If you rice them, they come out extra smooth.  

@MrsCase1 Agree 100% on the green bean casserole.  The only way I agreed to make it for DH is by using fresh green beans.  Otherwise, yuck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Good idea!

This definitely is not a typical Thanksgiving dish, but one thing that I have been making for the past few years that is always a big hit is buffalo mac and cheese. This is the recipe I use:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/buffalo-chicken-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

It is soooo good and everyone loves it!

I also love making green beans with almonds and pumpkin whoopie pies with maple cream cheese filling. Here is the recipe for the pumpkin whoopie pies:

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/pumpkin-whoopie-pies-maple-cream-cheese-frostin/

This year I will be looking for some new recipes as I am now on a dairy free diet (thanks DS!). Anyone have any good dairy free sides or desserts??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KrystaJ‌ - an oil-less turkey fryer??! Do tell me more! I am the worst with sharing recipes- not bc I don't want to, but because I am a thrower-inner. For example, the first time I follow a recipe, I go by the book. Then I critique the finished product and decide what I need to change/add for the next time. Often times, by the time I finally adjust everything to my liking, the original recipe is a distant memory. I recently made some deeeeeelish pumpkin bars with maple cream cream icing that i plan to make again for thanksgiving...they even got better as the days passed, too. https://lifessimplemeasures.blogspot.com/2011/10/best-ever-pumpkin-bars.html?m=1
  • Options
    I make this pecan pie every year and my family loves it. You make it in a skillet and use bourbon. I don't eat nuts, so I'm really not sure how it is! But, my husband is a very picky eater and loves it!
    https://www.southernliving.com/m/food/holidays-occasions/thanksgiving-pies/utterly-deadly-southern-pecan-pie-recipe?crlt_pid=camp.rI86gcLn7Qtt
  • Options
    I'm usually just in charge of the pies and make apple, pumpkin and custard. Every year I want to narrow it down to two but can never decide which one gets cut, so 3 it is.

image        image

• Options
    I am the baker and green bean casserole maker (I use steam in a bag green beans btw). 

A traditional pumpkin pie

and pumpkin gobs with maple cream cheese filling (eat them frozen. They're like ice cream sandwhiches.)
    I also have a pretty gob mold for these 
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    haha @jenlynne0624 that is the same recipe i use too (pumpkin whoopie pies)!! i have never tried them frozen before but that sounds good!

• Options
    ashanne88 said:
    My mom usually does the majority of cooking (turkey, stuffing and pies) for Thanksgiving because it's her favorite meal of the year to cook.  

I always do the potatoes though.  I use a mix of gold and russets and add lots of butter and half-and-half.  If you rice them, they come out extra smooth.  

@MrsCase1 Agree 100% on the green bean casserole.  The only way I agreed to make it for DH is by using fresh green beans.  Otherwise, yuck.
    @ashanne88 what does it mean to "rice" a potato?
    imageimage
  • Options
    So, not really a recipe, but I stuff my turkey with oranges, lemons, celery stalks, onions, and garlic. The meat doesn't dry out, the drippings have a nice light fresh flavor, and the house smells amazing. I just cut the cooking time right between the stuffed and unstuffed suggested times.
    @amtellez28 we brine in citrus as well. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    MrsCase1 said:
    ashanne88 said:

@ashanne88 what does it mean to "rice" a potato?
    You just put them through a potato ricer - think giant garlic press.

I also use mine to make spaetzel.  It's awesome.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The past few years I've made sweet potato soufflé, SO good and always a hit.  I also make homemade pie crusts.  Both recipes are handwritten, so I don't have a link... but if anyone wants the recipes lmk! We're having Thanksgiving at my house this year and I am SO excited.  I won't have time to be as elaborate as I would like, but I'm putting out all the classics.  :) Oh, and we will have corn casserole instead of green bean.   
  • Options
    jclester614jclester614 member
    edited November 2014
    MrsCase1 said:
    I have had success making a pumpkin "dump" cake, which is where you place a yellow cake (or spice cake, YUM!) in a 9X13 and then pour canned pumpkin on top. If I do it again this year I will also drizzle caramel all over the top. I bake at 350 for about a half an hour.
    Is it literally that simple? Do you mix it or anything? I'm intrigued...

ETA: I'm an idiot, I thought you were saying just dump pumpkin on the cake MIX...haha, no wonder I was surprised and confused why that worked. **mommy brain**
  • Options
    skittler2 said:
    I just feel the need to say that green bean casserole with canned green beans is my favorite thanksgiving side dish. I get very angry when people make it with fresh or frozen beans because then it tastes so...beany. Apparently this is a UO.
    I'm with you @skittler2! It just isn't Thanksgiving without traditional green bean casserole. I make mine with the french cut canned green beans, cream of celery instead of cream of mushroom, and extra fried onions. Yummy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options
    MrsCase1 said:
    Is it literally that simple? Do you mix it or anything? I'm intrigued...

ETA: I'm an idiot, I thought you were saying just dump pumpkin on the cake MIX...haha, no wonder I was surprised and confused why that worked. **mommy brain**
    @jclester614 well now I am confused. Basically I just dump a can of pumpkin in the dish then sprinkle the cake mix on top. I don't make the mix into batter?!?!? Sometimes if I want it extra decadent I add a few pats of butter to the top. So technically pumpkin goes into the dish first, not the cake mix. Does that make sense?
    imageimage
  • Options
    What size canned pumpkin @MrsCase1? A "regular" size 15 ounce or one of the large 30 ounce cans?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options
    My family's favorite is spinach mashed potatoes. See pic below. Sooo good!
  • Options
    I'm not a great cook, so I always make these super easy cinnamon pretzels. Everyone goes nuts for them. Ingredients 1 bag pretzels (16-18 oz.) 2 /3 C. oil 1/3 C. sugar 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 C. cinnamon-sugar for sprinkling Directions 1. Whisk oil, sugar and cinnamon together in a large microwave proof bowl. 2. Add pretzels and stir until coated. 3. Microwave for 50 seconds, stir then microwave again for 40 seconds. 4. Dump out onto two cookie sheets covered in wax, parchment or aluminum foil. 5. While still hot, sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar mixture. I add way more cinnamon sugar mixture on top than the recipe calls for, but i dont know if everyone has quite the same sweet tooth as me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    @mullenem that casserole sounds divine!

@theamandapanda the big can! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    skittler2 said:
    I just feel the need to say that green bean casserole with canned green beans is my favorite thanksgiving side dish. I get very angry when people make it with fresh or frozen beans because then it tastes so...beany. Apparently this is a UO.
    You are not alone in your UO.  I'm right there with you. 

• Options
    MrsCase1MrsCase1 member
    edited November 2014
    The board is tied on the Hot Topic of canned versus fresh green beans in casserole, LOL!

Edit: Spelling
    imageimage
  • Options
    @mullenem It basically sounds like you make homemade alfredo sauce for your green beans. Yum.

I don't have a specific holiday recipe, but I always brine my turkey the day before Thanksgiving. It keeps it so fresh and juicy, no dried out breast meat. Just place the turkey in a stock pot, then fill with water, add a cup of salt, throw in a few halved lemons or oranges, a couple cloves of garlic, and a handful of fresh rosemary or any other herb that you like. Let soak for 8 hours. Make sure to rinse the salt off afterward, and pat dry so that the skin can get crispy in the oven. Perfect turkey every time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    These recipes all look great! This is one of my favorite butternut squash recipes. If you buy the squash already cut, the recipe comes together in no time. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/caramelized-butternut-squash-recipe.html

Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • Options
    Jazznit1984Jazznit1984 member
    edited November 2014
    I'm a Canadian but have been living overseas for 5 years. Have attended many American thanksgivings and I usually bring Giada di Laurentiis' stuffing.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/ciabatta-stuffing-with-chestnuts-and-pancetta-recipe.html

It's always goes over really well. And I sometimes bring a pumpkin cheesecake.

That being said I have never eaten green bean casserole or sweet potatoes with marshmallow. Even though they've been offered :/

My holiday favs are homemade perogies and cabbage rolls (which I now make at Christmas if we are celebrating overseas).

• Options
    @Jazznit1984- That stuffing looks amazing!!! I wish I had time to make that this year... Maybe next time! 
  • Options
    @Savvy122 I have never made my green bean casserole with fresh green beans! Canned - always.

• Options
    @Savvy122 I have never made my green bean casserole with fresh green beans! Canned - always.

Haha well joke's on me because when we got to my FIL's house for Thanksgiving, his wife was in the process of making green bean casserole... with canned beans!  Who knew. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"