May 2015 Moms
Options

Teacher moms-how did u share

I am a teacher for 3rd grade and have been debating about how to tell my students I'm expecting.. How did you share with your students??

Re: Teacher moms-how did u share

• Options
    elee84elee84 member
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sharing yet. Will get pretty obvious soon but kids r pretty naive! They prob just think I'm fat!
  • Options
    I teach kindergarten and I told my kids this week. I had googled "cute ways to tell your kindergarteners" a few weeks ago and came across this forum of parents who were upset at how the teacher told the kids or that they didn't share the news with the parents first. I'm sure most parents wouldn't react that way, but I decided to email my parents last week and make sure they all knew first so they could tell their kids however they saw fit. By Monday all of the kids pretty much already knew, so I just told them that yes I was going to have a baby at the end of the year and that they need to be really careful around my belly. They were really cute about it. One of the girls keeps telling everyone to stay quiet because they are going to hurt the baby's ears, and they are already throwing around some AMAZING name suggestions (my favorites are Jose Jalapeño and Sparkles lol). Good luck telling your kids! They are going to be so excited for you when you share your news!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll be student teaching starting in January and I have no idea how to tell my 3rd graders
  • Options
    I teach 8th grade and I just flat-out told them. Well, I told my first period class. By lunch, the whole 8th grade knew. :)

One day I just told them that I won't be finishing the school year with them. They figured it out pretty fast then. Then one delightfully charming 8th grade boy goes "Oh! No wonder why it looks like you're getting a little, uh, big in the middle."

And another delightfully charming 8th grade girl goes "That must be why you've been so cranky lately."
  • Options
    I'm planning to tell my first graders the day before thanksgiving break. I'm not telling the parents. None of the other teachers at my school have notified the parents, so I'm not worried about it. Their kids will tell them.
    Jenna
    Mama to a crazy toddler (J-5/28/15)
    EDD 5-3-18

• Options
    I'm not teaching anymore, but last pregnancy I told my students at 20 weeks. We played hangman for them to guess it. Some if the parents already knew but were nice and didn't tell the kids until I was ready.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I emailed my parents first but forgot to ask them not to share with their children (I had planned on telling them the next day). That being said they came in the next day super excited. One girl even asked if she could be in the delivery room!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I teach kindergarten and one of my kids outed me. On one of my super bloated days a couple weeks ago one of my boys, who has no filter, yells at me "what's wrong with you? You're belly is huge! Do you have a baby in there or something?" I just responded that yes in fact I did. Then we had a talk about how that was not an appropriate way to ask that question. I did email parents to let them know before the kids went home. Not exactly the way I wanted them to find out but it is what it is.
    Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    I was debating over this, and my husband just told me to wait until someone asks.  I have first graders who will definitely not feel bad about asking.  I am surprised it hasn't happened yet!
  • Options
    I teach kindergarten and I haven't told them yet. Although they have been staring at my belly lately so they must know something's up. I'm just waiting for someone to ask. So far no one has been bold enough. ;)

When I was pregnant with my son I was due in January so I was noticeably pregnant at the start of the year.

• Options

I put up this pic and asked them what they could infer.
    imageimage imageimage
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I taught 3rd graders when pregnant with my other two, and I brought in a baby item for show and share.
    Tyler Daniel (4) & Tessa Mary (2)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I teach elementary music, so I have 20 classes. I had to enlist the help of the classroom teachers to tell them all on the same day. I made a video of myself playing the ukulele and singing "Three is a Magic Number", and ended with the line about a man and a woman having a baby (3 in the family!). It was pretty fun to hear their guesses. Quite a few of them thought I was having triplets.

• Options
    I teach 9th grade reading. We may be moving soon anyway (military) so I haven't told anyone at work yet. Once we find out whether or not we are moving I will tell them, if we end up staying. Otherwise I am just waiting for them to notice and say something.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

One of my 8th graders said yesterday, "Teacher, are you pregnant? Your belly is getting bigger." It was super cute! I didn't tell her yes or no, but they will find out soon because most of the teachers know.

Me: 26 DH: 29
    3/13: Miscarriage
    11/13: Ectopic Pregnancy-removal of 1 fallopian tube

BFP: 8/21/14 

Moses born by emergency C-section 4/23/2015

It's a Boy!

• Options
    MusicGirl630MusicGirl630 member
    edited November 2014
    @AlexandriaPR‌ I'm a music teacher too and I've been wondering how in the world I would tell all of my students. This is a great idea. I'm starting to get a bit of a belly now...I've caught sharp 3rd grade girls pointing and whispering. I think I have to tell soon.

Edited because pregnancy brain.
  • Options
    I just told my kindergartners that I had some news to share. I sat them down and told them I was having a baby boy. They were so excited (and still are). Every day they look at my belly and inform me its getting bigger. I just emailed the parents that same day- they are also super excited for me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1: 5/24/11, DD#1 Born 1/16/12
    BFP #2: 7/24/13, MC: 8/28/13 @8weeks, 3days

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I will wait until we return from thanksgiving break then I have a letter to send home to the parents as well as a multiplying decimals using estimation worksheet for them to complete... Once they solve all of the problems they will use the answers to solve a riddle which will tell them! I will be 16w3d when I tell them. I teach 6th grade.
    Married 11/06/10
    One furbaby, Lloyd
    Expecting our first baby girl, EDD 5/15/15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I taught 3-4 year-olds, so I was able to get away with never officially telling them at all.  The parents all knew way before the kids because they would see me when they picked their kids up.  Some of the parents told the kids themselves, but not all.  Eventually when I was like 8 months one of the kids asked me, "Why are you fat?" and another kid answered for him, "Because you ate too much food!" and I said no I have a baby in my tummy.  I will remember his adorable "Ohhhhhhh!!" look forever. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    @snapdragon750 I feel like this is what will happen with me. I teach PreK and don't plan on announcing. I'm sure the parents will catch on soon. All my coworkers know. I figure I'll put something out to parents before I leave for the year since I won't be finishing the school year, but I'm not really in a rush. I'm curious to see if any students notice. A few have had siblings recently and one has a mom due in April, but they are so self absorbed at this age.

BFP #1: 8/17/13     Due Date: 4/26/14      MMC discovered @ 9w 4d       D&C: 10/2/13
    BFP #2: 12/23/13       Due Date: 9/6/14      MMC discovered @ 8w 5d    D&C: 2/6/14
    BFP #3 8/26/14     Due Date: 5/7/15  

imageimage

• Options

I put up this pic and asked them what they could infer.
    I love this! I am a fourth grade teacher and I think this would be a great way to tell them. I'll make  a powerpoint with different inferencing photos and make something like this the last one.
    Baby Swanky Due May 29th, 2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    May '15 January Siggy Challenge.....You had one job...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I teach elementary music to about 800 kids. I told my 6th grade band first because they see me every day and know me best. The second we finished a piece, I said "I have to tell you guys something. At the end of the year I'm going to have a baby." They all started screaming and giving me name suggestions and it was really fun. After that I told all my other classes and it was really funny to see how the different grades reacted.
  • Options
    @kate6214 Yeah, and for a preschool kid to notice something that happens so gradually is really difficult.  You'll be pregnant for like a fifth of their life!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I teach Kindergarten and EVERY YEAR I've had multiple kids ask "Do you have a baby in your tummy?" when I WASN'T pregnant. This year I've had nothing.

So I had my doctors appt yesterday so I sat them all down today and asked them why they thought I was at the doctor. I got a range of answers "you threw up" "you had a fever" "you were coughing" etc. So I showed them the ultrasound as a clue and one of the boys raised his hand and said "your throat hurt?" ummmmm no. lol. So a girl gave him a weird look and screamed "You have a baby in your tummy!" They were all really excited and had a lot of questions :) I haven't told the parents and don't plan on writing anything official until I get closer to my due date to let them know about the long term sub.

Us: Me (27) Hubby (27) Married since 7/24/10

BFP #1: 10/30/2007    DS born 06/20/2008

BFP#2 09/11/2014      DD born 05/01/2015

• Options
    I teach high school PE....they don't know yet. I'm almost 16 weeks...not really showing. Going to wait it out...thinking once we return from Thanksgiving week I will most likely be showing and tell them then. Just like others said...it will spread like wildfire at my high school
  • Options
    Well I actually wanted to wait a bit longer to tell my kiddos but we started talking about birthdays and they realized mine landed in June which meant I was not going to be able to bring them cookies to celebrate... Then they all had this awesome idea to through me a birthday/end if the year party along with all of the summer babies birthdays. But I told them we would have to do it in April because if might not be there for the end of the school year. And then if course my kiddos freaked out, some girls cried, and they all thought I was moving away... So I had to tell them that I wasn't moving but that I was pregnant and my due date is the 12th of May and that's why I might not be there.
    Anyways, I wanted to do something cuter but couldn't with 7 crying kiddos and the others freakung out. :)
  • Options
    I told a selective few teachers I work with early on because of morning sickness at school and incase I did it in their rooms ( I'm a sped teacher). I had problems between 11-14 weeks and so more people found out because I was gone. So I've felt like I could tell more people including the students I work with in the last couple weeks. I'm 16 weeks today.
  • Options
    I sat my kinders down and told them I had really good news. They were so excited and asked if they could name the baby. The other day a kid gave me a hug and got all excited saying he felt the baby kick! I don't think so, bud! It's been fun having them know!
  • Options

So more of an update. My students (from a different class) mentioned about my growing belly and I said: "maybe I'm getting fat!" And my students goes "no, you are pregnant. "

How did she know? Because my legs and arms aren't getting fat :)

Me: 26 DH: 29
    3/13: Miscarriage
    11/13: Ectopic Pregnancy-removal of 1 fallopian tube

BFP: 8/21/14 

Moses born by emergency C-section 4/23/2015

It's a Boy!

• Options
    I'm a second grade teacher, pregnant with my first and one of my more observant students figured it out as I was noticeably showing very early on. I was 12 weeks when he figured it out. I ended up reading them a book called "My teacher is having a baby". Some still didn't get it after I read the book. I ended up telling them why I read the book as they were ready to go home that day. I mentioned it to parents afterwards in parent teacher interviews. Most students had shared the news by then :)
  • Options
    I tied in the announcement with a unit on mammals :) it was perfect timing!
  • Options
    My first graders knew at 12 weeks. I have a son of s friend of mine in my class. He told some other students and they began to giggle. I had no idea she told him. I had a book ready to read them for when the time came. I had no idea it come that early. It is by Eve Bunting. I think it's called "My Teache is Having a Baby".
  • Options
    We take a weekly test that's like a spelling test but it's sentences. For the final sentence I made one up that said "Mrs Parton is having a baby." And I made sure to record their reactions. It was pretty funny.
  • Options
    I teach High School students and so for their "ticket out" activity I asked them to create a list of three to six baby boy names.  A few students had caught on earlier in the year that I was pregnant but the majority did not know.  Their reactions were great and I got some name ideas out of it!!  
  • Options
    I teach high school and I made them chocolate suckers in the shape on baby items, bottles, bibs, balls and I had them on their desks when they walked into class. They're so excited and asked when we can have a baby shower and have offered to babysit for free.
  • Options
    I'm showing and therefore I explained to students that in life women change in many ways. One is creating and giving life. Always tell a story. Jaime Lee Curtus's books are great for story telling about the baby.
  • Options
    I also teach 3rd grade and just told them this week. I read them the book "Our Teacher is Having a Baby" by Eve Bunting and at the end asked them if anyone had any text to self connections with the story. So a couple kids raise their hand and talk about how they remember their little brother or sister being born or something like that. Then I told them that they ALL have a text to self connection with the book because their teacher IS having a baby! They got so excited and already want to help me pick out a name! Loved watching all the girls literally cross their fingers for a girl and all the boys literally cross their fingers for a boy and then argue with each other about which one I should have! :)  Love 8 year olds!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"