April 2014 Moms

Can PPD hit you after this long? (update)

dmosquera4dmosquera4 member
edited December 2014 in April 2014 Moms
ive been feeling depressed this past week like I have no purpose in life what's so ever. Everything makes me mad, and I've been feeling like such a bad mother, like I don't do enough for my baby.... Like I should be doing more, but at the same time I just feel bored and don't feel like entertaining LO. That I should be a better housewife instead of just laying on the couch feeling bad for myself... Should I get a job? It's that what I need? I don't know what to do. Should I go to the doctor? I didn't make this post to make you feel bad for me. I just need some guidance to see what's going on Ugh this hormones sucks Thank you for listening

February SIggy Challenge: Fav Movie/TV Couple

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Can PPD hit you after this long? (update)

• Yes it can hit anytime in the first year. Don't be shy about talking to your hcp. I also think there's a wacky hormone thing that goes on around six months, though.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been feeling the exact same way! Im not sure why or what the answer is but I hope you feel better soon! I talk to my DH when I get like this-talking to him makes me feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would think anytime in the first year it can happen. Especially if you stopped BFing, change in BFing habits, near your cycle, about to start your cycle for the first time since LO, etc. Definitely talk to your doctor. There's no harm in finding resources and solutions before a bigger problem emerges. Also, take time for yourself if possible (not that it's ever really possible). Hugs! I struggle with depression and anxiety, so I know how shitty it is.

• I just want to offer some hugs and send some good thoughts your way.

PPD can come on anytime in the first year after birth, my OB says it's just not reported much after the first 3 months

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Certainly can happen anytime in the first year and you should talk to someone (probably your doctor too) about how you're feeling.

I hope you find peace and balance soon. Hugs!
  • I was just going to make a post like this yesterday. I am feeling the exact same way. But now today I feel like I'm about to start my first PP period... so I don't know if that's what is causing it or what.

Anyway, I can totally relate. Hugs mama.

BFP 8/9/2013
    EDD for our baby boy 4/14/2014
    Eli Thomas born 4/22/2014

• No advice but I'm sorry you're going through this! Sometimes I get frustrated because she is sleeping less and Its really hard to get things done while trying to keep her entertained, and DH probably thinks I do nothing all day. Whether it's horomones or not, this age is a hurdle. I'm not doing well with solids or encourage crawling and I feel like I suck. If you feel this way longer than two weeks it wouldnt hurt to see your Dr. Especially if you feel angry often, anxiety is not fun on top of depression. I went through that for the entire first year with my first baby and I wish I had done more to help myself. The other day I declared it mommy day and got my hair and nails done. Not that anyone sees me, ever, but I got to talk to real, grown humans. If you can't carve out me time every day, aim for once a week. i hope you feel better soon! Hugs

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had PPD in the first few months after my LO was born and felt the exact same way.  I talked to my OBGYN and made some changes and I am doing so much better.  I still have days were I wonder what the hell I'm doing, but just know you won't feel like this forever.  My heart goes out to you because that was an extremely tough time.
  • I have been feeling a lot of what Ashleypixie described and yesterday was in tears over pretty much nothing. I did just get my first PP period Monday so I am chalking it up to that for now, but I would say your hormones are still fluctuating and a lot of things about the first year can suck the life out of you. I felt like I was much better at this at the beginning - now I feel overwhelmed most of the time.

Definitely try to take some breaks and get out to be anything but a mom for a little while. But if that doesn't help absolutely talk to your doctor.

And come here for support whenever you need to.

• No advice but sorry you're going through this, hugs, you are a great mom.
  • Thank you ladies! We moved from Florida to New York when LO was in my belly so I miss my family and my friends so that doesn't make it better... I'm part of a mommy group but they don't meet everyday and there isn't any body I connect with there.

I definitely need more me time... I barely get any in the weekends when DH is off.

I just such a weird feeling, I've never felt this before so that's why I'm asking for your help.

I told DH that I was going to start looking for a part time job where I can at least be away from the house and baby for a couple of hours and HE can actually start doing stuff on a regular basis.

If this keeps going for another week or so I will definitely be making an appt with the doctor.

• I had PPD with my first, it turned from depression to rage to anxiety. Balance is definitely the key. Make sure you're getting rest, some "me" time and exercise. 30 mins of walking even three times a week can make a huge improvement on your mood, especially if you can get some alone time while you're doing it. Keep your head up in the meantime, it will pass!
  • I think finding a part time job is a great idea!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Acers said:

I would also consider looking in to seasonal affective disorder. This is a very common time of the year for that to set in, and sometimes there are fairly basic treatments (ie a sun lamp and Wellbutrin). Vitamin D is also a biggie in states with long winters where we're cooped up for many months with little sun exposure (my OB had me taking extra vit D all through my pregnancy). I definitely wouldn't shrug it off hun!

I agree with this as well- especially as you moved from Florida to New York! I think some me time will help but also make sure you are taking vitamin d. I was feeling blue for a few days and once I started taking vitamin d I started feeling better :-)

• Aw. Hugs! Nothing much to add just that feeling like this isn't uncommon after a baby and good for you for being able to recognize it and seek suggestions and help!
  • Thank you everybody this really helps a lot. All of your suggestings are great! And very helpful

• Late to the post but I hope that you are able to find a way to feel good again.

You've had so many changes it can be hard to process and find yourself again.

I have been seeing a councelor weekly since lo's birth and take Prozac daily ( Zoloft didnt cut it for me). I EBF and LO has not had any issues with the Prozac. I'm having a harder time these last couple weeks too. Hormones or weather or whatever it may be they are legitimit feelings and it is ok to need and to ask for help.
  • ... so after going to my doctor we came to this conclusion. i had stopped taking my prenatals and he seems to think that that might have to do a little bit to do with, since im still breastfeeding and my vitamins are all screwed up. also ive been having a lot of discharge lately and he thought that that maybe signs of ovulation which means my little friend might be around the corner, which contributes to more hormones. 

thats all i got he said to start taking prenatals again and see if that helps. also to keep an eye out if i start feeling worse so i could come to have a full blown blood test to see where everything stands and so he can refer me to someone. 

lets hope for the best!  

• You don't need a blood test to see a councelor.
  • omg!!! ok definitely will go somewhere else... see im glad i have you guys because i have no idea what to do in a situation that ive never dealt with, and well obviously if a doctor tells me this then i will trust him. im so disappointed thank you @eme520

ok im going to search to see where i can go because i dont want anything bad to happen to me or my baby!

• Late to this post but I've also been thinking about finally calling my doc to be assessed. I thought all my symptoms were just related to sleep deprivation and now that I'm getting more sleep, I still feel the same. It's hard to be brave enough to face your problems and try to change them, as it can make you feel like a failure. Hugs to you and anyone else that has been struggling. It's good to know there is support here as well, because sometimes you just don't have anyone you can turn to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"