Toddlers: 24 Months+

Multi-vitamin with iron

Has anyone found a multi-vitamin with iron that does not have a strong odor or taste?  My DD's doctor recommended Poly-vi-sol with iron by Enfamil.  My daughter refuses to eat anything it's mixed with (even if she doesn't see me put it in something- she only drinks water so I don't put it in that).

Re: Multi-vitamin with iron

• Can she take a chewable?  Asking since you posted in the 24 Month+ group, and I think generally these are recommended only at 2 years and up.  If you need a liquid, I heard about this, but have not used it myself:

That's iron only, not multivitamin.

My kids take this chewable vitamin with iron -- Flintstones Complete:

DS1 gets it several times per week because he eats less variety.  DS2 gets it occasionally. Sometimes he asks for it.

• Thanks for the two suggestions!  Yes, she is 27 1/2 months.  The chewables might definitely work.
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the Flintstones chewables also. I call them "candy" so DD looks forward to taking them.
  • My kids do chewable to. DS has been taking since like 18 mos.
  • We call them vitamin candy, too.  DS1 has autism and is in feeding therapy and the vitamin is the first thing we tackled.  When we got him to eat it at home, we made a huge hoopla over it, so much that DS2 demanded one.  Now DS2 occasionally requests his vitamin candy. 

• Great thanks all!  Ashiscute and Greyt00, what kind do you use?  We might be leaning towards the flinstone also.  I tried looking up a few different kinds, and that seemed to be the only one with 100% iron..
  • It's called Flintstones Complete Chewable.  This is the one my pediatrician recommended.  Dose is half tablet for a 2-3 year old.  We use a pill cutter from Amazon, I love it.

https://www.flintstonesvitamins.com/products/complete-chewable-vitamins/

• Thanks Greyt00!  I realized you told me that already, so I apologize for asking the question again.  Thanks for your insight!
  • That's OK.  Hope it helps! 

• I would not recommend calling vitamins (or any other pills or medicine) "candy". I know it makes it easier for the child to take it, but it could lead to the child accidentally eating too many. I know, you keep the vitamin bottle out of their reach  and they could never get to it but what about a neighbor's house, or a family member's? Imagine your 6 year old kid going to their friends house and eating a whole handful of vitamins because they are "candy". Or your child feeding their younger baby sister a few vitamins because she wants to share her candy.

My 2 cents from an emergency room nurse who has taken care of kids who overdosed on various pills and vitamins.
  • We also do Flintstones complete with iron. We never did poly vi sol since the smell made ME gag. I just bite off one half and eat it myself and give Dd the other half. I figure I could use it too. She gets it every other day or every couple of days since it severely constipates her. Many of the gummies do not have iron so I would stay away from those. I also agree with not calling vitamins "candy". Dh has to take mess for his diabetes and made the mistake of calling it candy and Dd immediately wanted it. We call it what it is " vitamins".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • I would not recommend calling vitamins (or any other pills or medicine) "candy". I know it makes it easier for the child to take it, but it could lead to the child accidentally eating too many. I know, you keep the vitamin bottle out of their reach  and they could never get to it but what about a neighbor's house, or a family member's? Imagine your 6 year old kid going to their friends house and eating a whole handful of vitamins because they are "candy". Or your child feeding their younger baby sister a few vitamins because she wants to share her candy.

My 2 cents from an emergency room nurse who has taken care of kids who overdosed on various pills and vitamins.
    That's a good point.  I make a big deal about how they can have "just one" (and then DS2 holds up one finger and says "just one" real emphatically) but I'm going to start saying just vitamin.  FWIW when DS2 has asked for it, he always says just the word vitamin.  Actually I have never said vitamin candy myself, it was my husband.  So I'll tell him. 

• Thank you all for your input!  Yeah, we just call them Flintstones or vitamins.  We felt the exact same way and did not want to refer to them as "candy" because clearly that would be sending a confusing message.  She took it for 3 days, but wasn't very interested today.. so we'll keep trying. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"