June 2013 Moms

Refinishing toddler table/chair set

I'm looking for advice on painting a toddler table and chair set.

We received a hand-me-down wooden toddler table and 2 chairs. I believe they were originally unfinished wood and then were painted bright red by my SIL. I paint job is really poor and I also hate the color. I want to repaint the set to match our family room, probably dark brown.

For those of you who have painted a wooden set, what kind of paint did you use? What finish, if any did you put over top?

TIA!

Re: Refinishing toddler table/chair set

• You'll have to sand it down. I don't know what kind of paint we used. I know the top was the chalkboard paint from the Disney line.
    image imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've done a few pieces of wooden furniture.

As others have said- definitely sand it down. I brush painted a pair of chairs a while back- with all the nooks and crannies it was a total pain in the ass- spray paint would have been a million times easier. I usually prime first and then paint with a semi gloss. I like SW duration. It wipes clean really easily.
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Loading the player...
  • So, I love painting things, but I never have patience for sanding and stuff. Are the table and hairs pretty plain or are they more intricate? If they're on the plainer side, I'd probably skip the sanding, prime it with a Gripper primer and then paint it. If it has designs that would get goopy doing it that way, then I'd probably lightly sand. Just be sure to really wash it well after you sand it. I sanded a red dresser down to the wood, washed it, and painted it white and the red still bled out of the wood and now it has pinkish splotches.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @Cricket81‌ The set has straight lines, typical toddler stuff. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to sand it, but this set should be easy. Too bad I didn't think to start this project earlier. Now I'll be sanding and painting in the poorly insulated garage in 30 degree weather.
  • Oh! That's one thing I should have said. If you do use gripper primer, it's fantastic, but super stinky.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I talked to my dad today about wanting to repaint this set for Christmas. He is a retired wood shop teacher and offered to sand it in his shop for us. All I will have to do is prime and paint!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"