March 2014 Moms

Anyone else's LO on mostly finger foods?

My DS really prefers to eat finger foods, veggies, fruits, meatloaf, rolls you name it. I just looked at the food poll and it seems like there are still a lot of purées going on. Just curious where other are at.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else's LO on mostly finger foods?

• The only thing I feed to LO is yogurt.
    He feeds himself everything else by hand, so I guess that's finger food.

Tonight we had Chicken Tikka Masala with rice and Naan bread. LO loved it.
  • R loves both, but eats mostly finger foods.  I go for the baby food pouches because they are easy to travel with and great for a quick ready meal.  He hates to be fed though.  So I just give him the pouch and let him go at it.  He will also not eat from a spoon unless it's in his hand.  He's self feeding either way you look at it.  I try to offer fresh finger foods for him most of the time though.  Pouch/spoon/puree foods are only once a day.  He probably eats about 3-4 ounces of food per meal twice a day.  Snacks 1-2 times a day.  He is still BFing a lot to.

• Loading the player...
  • My babies have different preferences. Owen is still happiest with purées, though he did really well with some green bean pieces yesterday. He's still working on not gagging on finger foods. Keira loves finger foods. She's a total puff monster and has been doing really well with everything we've given her so far. She would probably prefer to have everything be finger foods but it's easiest to feed them the same things for now so they get a combination.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She's not on only finger foods but she SHOULD be cuz she loves feeding herself. I guess I gotta figure out what to feed her "finger" wise. I can't help but fear choking. Does anyone else have anxiety when their LO shoves something in their mouth?!  
  • HKline922 said:
    She's not on only finger foods but she SHOULD be cuz she loves feeding herself. I guess I gotta figure out what to feed her "finger" wise. I can't help but fear choking. Does anyone else have anxiety when their LO shoves something in their mouth?!  
    This is partly why LO is still only on purees.  I'm still too worried about choking to give her anything more.  Though she has zero teeth, so I personally don't feel she is ready for anything but purees.  I'm assuming finger food babies have a couple teeth??  I bought her some Puffs the other day but I tried one first, and they don't melt in the mouth quite as quickly as I expected, so we're holding off.  However she isn't real geeked about eating her purees yet and is still mostly formula fed, so I'm not in a big rush to move her to anything else.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• HKline922 said:
    She's not on only finger foods but she SHOULD be cuz she loves feeding herself. I guess I gotta figure out what to feed her "finger" wise. I can't help but fear choking. Does anyone else have anxiety when their LO shoves something in their mouth?!  
    This is partly why LO is still only on purees.  I'm still too worried about choking to give her anything more.  Though she has zero teeth, so I personally don't feel she is ready for anything but purees.  I'm assuming finger food babies have a couple teeth??  I bought her some Puffs the other day but I tried one first, and they don't melt in the mouth quite as quickly as I expected, so we're holding off.  However she isn't real geeked about eating her purees yet and is still mostly formula fed, so I'm not in a big rush to move her to anything else.
    Ryland just got his first tooth last week, but has been on finger food for a while.  Choking is not such a big deal as you might think.  Babies have a natural gag reflex that is more sensitive than ours.  They might gag when eating non-pureed food because of the texture change, but this is NOT choking.  They might also gag when eating because the chunky food went to the back of their mouth before they were ready.  This is also NOT choking.  When I see babies truly choke on something, they usually make no sound, their face turns red and their eyes water.  Then I stick my finger in their mouth and clear the food or make them gag and they throw it up. 

Keep in mind that when you DO feel comfortable enough to introduce finger foods, you WILL see some gagging.  Finger foods are a great activity and fantastic way to develop fine motor skills too.  Don't feel pressured though.  I just wanted to share what I know about gagging and choking.

• @angelsnight‌
    LO just got his first tooth a week or so ago, but it's a front tooth, so it doesn't help for chewing. He's been eating chunky food for 2 months.

DS1 started solids (finger foods) at 5.5 months and didn't get a first tooth until 9 months. He is about to turn 2 and until recently only had 8 teeth (front 4 on top and bottom). He now has 16, still waiting on 4 molars.

• Mostly finger foods. Will spoon feed yogurt, cottage cheese, avocado, applesauce and similar things that would be crazy messy to let her eat by herself. She prefers to feed herself and often pushes the spoon away unless it's something she really likes.

She only has her two bottom teeth so far and she's been doing ginger foods since 6 months old.

About the gagging- first couple times it freaked me out. But now she's a lot better at chewing. Though she still gags frequently, it's mostly because she shoves too much food into her mouth at once. It's all part of learning how to eat- I just keep a close eye on her while she eats just in case.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Still only doing purées. Will continue until we talk to pediatrician at 9 month appointment.
  • It depends on the food. If we're having mashed potatoes for dinner then she gets spoon fed. But if we have anything she can easily & somewhat neatly ingest then she gets to feed herself. She's all about eating things she puts in her mouth.

French fries are her fav!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We only do purées, they love it and I am also scared of the choking but thanks for the advice of what to do if one of them does have a choking episode!
  • Only doing purée here too. I've tried the puffs, and A spits out B gaggs. So what finger food did everyone start with?
  • I want to start more finger foods over the puree. I have been giving her an array of foods that I eat, I just chew it up for her then give it to her. 

Do you give your LO's the puffs or the yogurt ones?

Are your other foods that you give cooked to soft-ish?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • purees and some puffies.... he's still only army crawling - - so I'm hesitant to offer the "crawling" guideline foods to him. Because I'm anal like that.  
    Domesticated: 1 Hubs; 2 sons; 3 cats; & Broke

• yalllow said:
    purees and some puffies.... he's still only army crawling - - so I'm hesitant to offer the "crawling" guideline foods to him. Because I'm anal like that.  

I had never heard of a 'crawling' or 'crawler's' food until I had DS1 and someone asked about them. I googled and found out its just little snacks. -_- little stuff that 'melts' or softens are some of the first things I give. I never heard the phrase when I had DD. but I never bought store baby food for her either so maybe that's why?
  • I've been making all of her purées and she still really likes being spoon fed, but she also enjoys feeding herself. So she will get purée each meal (I make them a lot chunkier now) along with some puffs or yogurt melts, or if we're having rice or cooked veggies, something she could easily pick up, she gets some of that too.

• Levi is moving towards it bc he gets very frustrated with me feeding him.  He still plays and/or drops most of what I give him so I stick to 2-3 pieces at a time.  The amount of time it takes to feed him has increased and the amount he is ingesting is down... it should even out in a few weeks.
  • Only purées (usually 2x/day), but mostly BF. No rush to move on to finger foods. I'm terrified of choking/gagging..
  • ours hasn't tried finger foods yet, but my LO is a bit younger than everyone's (end-of-month-er born 4/14/14). we have done a few chunkier purees, like bananas and carrots, but I'm not in a rush for solids. LO seems to get constipated easily so some days we don't do any solids at all.

• We do purees. We give him those Mum Mum cracker things, but they mostly end up on the floor. Finger foods are so messy so I'm going to hold off for as long as I can. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Only purées here. I have tried to give h stuff with even slightly more texture and he won't eat it. He doesn't get the concept of finger foods at all. He doesn't even try to put them in his mouth. Who knew feeding would be so difficult??
  • We have been all purees till recently and she is starting to fight the spoon. Tried to do yogurt and fruit this morning and that was a no go she had pb and jelly bread and loved it!
  • Ooooohhh, does refusing purees mean they're ready for finger foods?? LO had been refusing solids on and off for awhile. I've tried puffs but she does not put them in her mouth. I put them in her mouth for her and she freaks out.... I have been at a loss for what her deal is.

• I'm not sure it means they are ready but she is loving feeding herself (and the dog). She only has two teeth and a few more on their way in but she gums food really well.

• yalllow said:

purees and some puffies.... he's still only army crawling - - so I'm hesitant to offer the "crawling" guideline foods to him. Because I'm anal like that.  

I had never heard of a 'crawling' or 'crawler's' food until I had DS1 and someone asked about them. I googled and found out its just little snacks. -_- little stuff that 'melts' or softens are some of the first things I give. I never heard the phrase when I had DD. but I never bought store baby food for her either so maybe that's why?

I can't help but think this is a little bit silly?!?! Some babies never crawl.... Do they never get to eat food then? Just purées?!

Although my views may be extreme as we do baby led weaning.... No purrees.... Ever! All finger foods. Gums seem to be plenty adequate for her to eat - she's amazed me how well she can do it!

For those starting on puffs.... My LO always struggled with them. It's a weird taste and texture and sticks to the mouth. If they're not coping with them, perhaps try a more normal food that's been softened. So steamed carrot etc. slides down the throat far easier than puffs. Perhaps less likely to gag? LO has struggled to ever eat puffs and now just ignores them to favour normal food so I don't even bother offering
  • @Khope87‌
    We do BLW too, so maybe that's why I had never heard the phrase.
    LO started with various vegetable over cooked so they were super soft.
    He's an awesome gummer. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"