March 2014 Moms

Medical Benefits and dental coverage

I am getting benefits set for next year and was wondering about dental coverage for LO. Are you getting dental? I know LO is still in the early ages, but wasn't sure if he would need it or not. Would he be going to the dentist at 1 year old? I being cautious think I am getting it, but wanted thoughts.

Re: Medical Benefits and dental coverage

• We included lo in our dental coverage. The premium wasn't that much more than for just me and DH so we figured it was worth it. My dentist said a good time to bring lo in is between 12 and 18 months, so we'll probably use the coverage once this year.
    TTC since December 2011
    Me: 29 ovulatory disorder
    DH: 30 MFI - low everything

IUI #1: 11/5/12 BFN
    December IUI cancelled due to cyst
    IUI #2: 1/8/13 BFN

IVF in April 2013 transferred one beautiful blast on 4/13
    Beta #1 4/22: BFP!! 33 Beta #2 54 Beta #3 70 Beta #4 83 Beta #5 105. Possible ectopic, MTX and M/C 5w4d

FET 6/21 - Beta #1: 79 BFP!! Beta #2: 253 U/S 7/12: saw the sac! U/S #2 7/19 great heartbeat of 127!! U/S #3 heartbeat of 154! U/S #4 graduated to OB

EDD 3/9/14

imageimage

• In my experience dental benefits suck!  Dental insurance is very inexpensive but all the years I've had it it covers nominal charges, better than nothing but if once kids are older and possible oral surgeries, teeth exctractions, braces, etc... it doesn't help much.

Mine covers 2 cleanings in a year, one xray per annual, but if a filling is required no medications are covered nor are sealants.  
  • Loading the player...
  • SurpriseAt39SurpriseAt39 member
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't pay extra for a kid less than 5 unless you perceive dental issues.
    Our dentist encourages us to bring the kids with us while we have cleanings so they (the kid) can see what happens and the dentist can see as the kid laughs, smiles, cries. That's all the checking the dentist normally does before age 3.
    Maybe a quick scaling at age 3 or 4.

DD had 2 cavities in her front teeth at 5 years old. Her baby teeth. They got fillings and fell out 2 months later.

I wouldn't have paid into the plan for an additional person, but H's plan to go from 'single' to 'family' didn't cost any extra if it was just a spouse or an extra 5 kids so we already had the coverage.

ETA: I would definitely get medical/drug coverage.
  • I have dental for DD simply because she has to be enrolled in the same plan I have but our dentist said she won't need to come in until she's 2.5-3yo.
  • Nope. Not until next year. Our dentist said to not bring her in before the age of 2.
  • Thanks for bringing this up. Our open enrollment period for benefits starts soon and I hadn't even thought of this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"