Adoption
Options

Newbie with a Question

Hi All!

My husband and I are finally near the end of the home study, something that we are very grateful for!  My social worker emailed me and told me she would have a draft of our home study to us shortly.  Which is ... good?  

My question is, what do I need to do with it?  Who sees this document?  I didn't think BMs did?  

Thanks! And I look forward to becoming a part of this community!  

Re: Newbie with a Question

• Options
    Hi, I'm no help as we aren't quite that far in the process (we still need to do our interviews), but I wanted to say welcome! And congrats on being done with the home study!
    Meghan and Jonny- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - May 1, 2010
  • Options
    Dr.LorettaDr.Loretta member
    edited November 2014
    We looked over the draft for accuracy; were names spelled correctly, were dates correct. We were also just curious what was in it and our SW's impression of us.

We sent edits back (my mom's name was misspelled, no surprise) and our SW finalized it. That was the trigger to start our next step, the profile!

In our case,expectant parents didn't see it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did the same as @Dr.Loretta did. We looked it over and made sure everything was accurate, dates, names, etc. And we too, were also curious as to what was in it. LOL. We sent it back and our SW finalized it as well and mailed us a copy. It's good to have a copy or 2 because if you apply for grants, some places want to see a copy of your HS. The expectant parents do not see the HS, but the judge does, I believe. 

Having this finalized meant we were ready to be officially waiting!! 

Congrats on getting yours finished! 
    January 2014--Picked Agency, had informational Meeting and turned in Application
    June      2014--Started our Home Study (all paperwork &fingerprinting that ensued)
    August  2014--Finished our Home Study and Officially Waiting

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    We were never offered to see our HS document, so I'm not sure what the purpose if it is.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I do plan on filing for grants, so I guess that's why I'll chalk it up to.  It just seems like a whole lot of work for a document that very few people get to see :)
  • Options

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I do plan on filing for grants, so I guess that's why I'll chalk it up to.  It just seems like a whole lot of work for a document that very few people get to see :)
    I don't see it that way. You need it to move on to the next step. You need it if you're going to network in other ways. And I'd rather see an actual report after the whole process to get insights into the SW's approach. Plus I thought it was fun to see she considered our home "eclectic" ;)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"