December 2014 Moms

Measuring 3 weeks ahead

I went in for my 34 week checkup on Thursday and my doctor said I was measuring (fundal height) 37 weeks. I have an ultrasound appointment next Friday to determine how much my baby boy weighs. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what was the outcome?

Re: Measuring 3 weeks ahead

• Fundal measurements can be way off and so can ultrasounds. From what I've seen, drs only start to worry about big babies if you have gestational diabetes or have gained a significant amount of weight. Otherwise, they just let it be. My dd measured big on an ultrasound at 36 weeks and came out smaller (by almost a pound) than that estimate at 38 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've always measured 2-3 weeks ahead in both pregnancies its really not something I would worry about. My first was 9lbs 5oz he came out fine within 20mins of pushing I'm not expecting a small baby this time either my boyfriends children from his previous relationship were 9lbs 6oz and 10lbs (three weeks early) I'm glad I didn't push him out lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always measured way behind in fundal height but way ahead in the u/s measurements of the baby's size. The truth is probably somewhere in between. I don't think anything of those measurements at all anymore. If your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be worried. 
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • I had significant weight gain, at 33 weeks I have gained 36 lbs according to my doctor. My fundal measured 2 weeks ahead at my 29 week appointment. I haven't been scheduled for growth ultrasounds so evidently we have nothing to worry about. Why create drama and worries when there are none? Paranoia isn't flattering.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• I echo what PPs have said. Just yesterday, at 33w2d, I measured 36. Doc wasn't concerned, I'm not concerned (I've also been consistently measuring ahead 1-3cm). Just sit tight and try not to over analyze it and stress yourself out before Friday. It is what it is. Maybe nothing, maybe something. Either way, it's beyond your control. Hope for the best!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm measuring 38 weeks and am only 35 weeks, growth scan next week. All I can do is laugh because this kid is doing whatever he wants to do. All that matters is that he is healthy and we will get to meet him in a handful of weeks! Also, DH and I were both 9.5lbers (he has a very strong build) and I've known in my heart we will probably have linebacker babies.
  • Just a little personal anecdote - I had an ultrasound to check fluid level yesterday (because that was an issue in my last pregnancy) and they estimated the baby is right on track at almost 35 weeks.  But my fundal height was 41.  So yeah, I'm not trusting fundal height at all.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • kelsz12 said:

I'm measuring 38 weeks and am only 35 weeks, growth scan next week. All I can do is laugh because this kid is doing whatever he wants to do. All that matters is that he is healthy and we will get to meet him in a handful of weeks! Also, DH and I were both 9.5lbers (he has a very strong build) and I've known in my heart we will probably have linebacker babies.

I have linebacker babies. Our 2 year old is in 4T clothes because of his shoulders and head. He's just a really broad kid. We joke all the time about his football career. His little brother seems to be on the same path, according to ultrasound measurements - but we all know not to trust those completely. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • hellopartyof5hellopartyof5 member
    edited November 2014
    @RayRay007‌ it's definitely triplets... They must've missed one!

Also, even if you have a big baby... Everything's ok as long as dr says it's ok. My growth scan this past Monday said baby was already 7lbs 8oz with 4 weeks left to go. Dr just wants to have another in 2 weeks to see what happens with the growth, but all he's said is I have a big baby. So as you can see although my dr is fine with it, there's a lot behind the scenes that I don't know about. For instance, they check urine and blood pressure every time I go in. So although my baby is probably just big, yours could be due to something else. That's why we don't like these questions too much, not everyone is the same.
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Last week my OB said I was 40cm at 35w+3.
    This week at 36+3, I measured 38cm. Since I really don't think the baby shrunk, I'm guessing she got it wrong the first time.

So yeah. They can be off big time.

And the search function is AWESOME! Here and on Google too.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• I measured 3 weeks ahead all of 3rd tri with both of my kids. They were born on/1 day before their due dates and were both bigger, but not huge ( 8 10 and 8 14) I am not measuring ahead this time and am curious if I'm really making a smaller baby this time around.
  • I am measuring 2 wks over and docs cool with it and so am I. :)
    Nothing to worry about.
  • my fundal height has been 1-2 weeks behind for the last 3 appointments so they did an u/s and the baby is measuring 1-2 weeks ahead. 

I think it's a wash.

suffice it to say, modern medicine is really just a "practice." Don't stress yourself out. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My outcome? A baby.

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"