June 2015 Moms

Working moms with more than one child come in

So I have a 2 year old son at home. Now I'm expecting twins. With daycare costs in my area, I'm looking at a minimum of $300 a week for just daycare. That's almost half of my bi-weekly paycheck. So basically 95% of my check will go to daycare. I'm thinking about dropping down to part time, working while my husband is home to watch the kids. But if I do that, I lose my insurance. My husband can pick us up on his insurance but that's half of his paycheck. Are any of you in similar situations? What are you doing? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Working moms with more than one child come in

• That's a tough one. Have you tried care.com or looking for in home care? We have found that to be a bit cheaper. But with two infants you are going to pay more. Good luck!

Me (34) MH (37)
    Married 10/12/02
    DS 06/21/06
    MMC 06/07
    DS 07/31/09
    MC 12/10
    MMC 02/14 ; D&C 02/14/14
    MC (CP?) 07/14
  • First I will say congrats on the twins!

In my area, daycare for ONE child is over $300/week, so $300 for 3 kids sounds awesome, but I know COL varies so much.

Have you looked into a nanny or au pair? Maybe it would be cheaper for 3 kids to have a nanny vs daycare?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mom to P (12/7/10) Step-Mom-to-be to H (05/29/13)
    BFP 10/13/14 TWINS! 20 week loss of both twins, Scott Feivel and Miles Conrad
    BFP 06/19/2015 16 week loss, Penny June
    2015 Working with RI; Diagnosed with thrombopheiia and celiacs
    BFP 03/12/16 TWINS AGAIN! PLEASE BE OUR RAINBOWS
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, we tried care.com, but nothing for this area. We are in a home daycare right now and those are the rates. For a daycare center in my area it was $160 a week per child.

• Hmmm, that is difficult, but it seems like your best option is to keep working if you need the healthcare. I know I have done it and half of my check has gone to childcare. Now with baby#3 on the way I am going to work from home and pay health insurance out of pocket.
  • With 2 in our current DC, it would be 100% of my take-home pay, so this is an ongoing discussion between me and my H at the moment.

I'm not sure where we'll land, to be honest. It's a difficult thing to navigate.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd say stick with your full time job.
    The reality is that kids are expensive! & as a full time nanny, $300 is a steal for 3 kids!!
    Think about it like this:
    You can keep your job to pay for daycare AND have insurance AND hubby's paycheck, or you can live off just 1/2 of your hubby's paycheck...
  • Wowza. We pay just over $1200 a month for my TWO kids!
    Daisypath - z1at
    Baby 1 - November 2009
    *loss* - March 2010
    Baby 2 - January 2011
    Baby 3 - June 2015
    Baby 4 - April 2017
    Baby 5 - May 2019

• Yeah, but as @GirPipley‌ said COL is different. You pay more than me but also probably make way more than me too. 95% of my paycheck would go to daycare. I have thought about starting my own daycare or something I could do at home too. Insurance is a major thing. I just hate the thought of working full time just to pay for daycare and not being able to spend that time with my kids. Just trying to figure out what's right for my family.

• We pay approx $300/week for the 2 in day care now.  With the baby is will be close to $500.  It's going to be tight for the first year, but then my oldest will go to kindergarten, the baby will move out of the infant room, and we'll be back to about $300.  It's a bummer.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I were you, I would keep working for the insurance and see it as a net financial gain, even though I can completely commiserate with how awful it will feel to turn over basically all your earnings to daycare. 

That said, I am so freaking grateful that DD will start kindergarten next year, right as my summer home with Baby is ending.  One kid in daycare at a time is all we can swing at the moment. 
    J15 Dec Siggy Challenge: Awkward Christmas Photos

Pregnancy Ticker

My Fur Baby

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"