June 2015 Moms

Moving - what should I do?

So it seems we will need to move right around my due date (June 28) out of state! Anyways question is should I wait and deliver here which means I wouldn't have any out-of-pocket expense (I work for a hospital with great insurance), but then have to move right after and have to deal with getting a birth certificate? Or should I try to move before my due date and find a new doctor/hospital and have to pay more in premiums possibly since I will have to leave my job early?
2nd Pregnancy, EDD 6/28/15 | Married 11/08 | Me: 33 DH: 36 | Step-son: 14 Son: 11
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moving - what should I do?

• I'm a FTM, so I can only really imagine what the 3rd Trimester will be like, but in my opinion, I'd move after the birth. We moved this past summer, and it was a super-stressful experience. I can't imagine adding being very pregnant AND finding a new dr. on top of all of that. Good luck!
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• Either sucks, but I think I'd move after.  Everyone thinks they need help when they come home from the hospital but most NB's sleep constantly for the first few weeks.  I would get a lot of stuff that you won't use before you move packed up before you get too big and uncomfortable (for example non maternity clothes, winter clothes for your hubby after winter is over, etc).  You won't be able to do a whole lot early, but every little bit helps.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • After!
    I moved in my 7th month & it was VERY stressful to find a new OB who would take me so "last minute". Most won't take you after 32 weeks, but it varies by doctor.

& getting a birth certificate isn't really a hassle. You just mail in for it with a check & signed form. You don't need it immediately either. I didn't go get my DD's until she was 11 months old!

PLUS, moving while pregnant is EXHAUSTING. You're tired & irritable & can't lift anything. Moving (even with a newborn) will be SO MUCH easier. Hopefully everyone will only expect you to be with baby & will do the rest of the work for you :) you may be tired with a newborn, but it doesn't compare to last-month-pregnancy exhaustion.
  • I honestly think it is a tough situation but you will be fine. For me I would prefer moving after. If you choose to move before, is there the option of quitting your job early enough that you could get on your SO's insurance since it would be a qualifying life event? Not sure if that would help...
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

• Ditto on not needing the BC for a while.  I didn't get them for my kids until DS1 was starting kindergarten, we never needed it before then.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Getting the Birth Certificate really isn't that bad. If you know your new address, when you fill it out in the hospital just put the mailing address as your new one. Other then that I just wanted to say good luck either way! Moving sucks even when you're not pregnant/ just given birth.

January Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails:

imageimage
      imageimage
  • Thanks guys for all the input! I'm sure my mom will come help us even though she lives in Texas and we live in Missouri and are moving back to Colorado! My husbands job gave us a huge relocation bonus so we are hiring movers but packing/unpacking ourselves. I also have a bestie in Colorado that would probably help if I asked.

It is just so crazy I had to be pregnant in the middle of all of this. We are taking husband's mom to live with us in Colorado (she's like no help whatsoever) and building a new house because we need a main floor bed/bath/grandma suite for her.

Oh and I'm sure I could switch to my husband's insurance if I quit my job, it's just not as good as mine. :)

Has anyone moved right after they had their baby?
    2nd Pregnancy, EDD 6/28/15 | Married 11/08 | Me: 33 DH: 36 | Step-son: 14 Son: 11
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A tough call. Will you have more support from family and friends living where you currently are or after you move? You might want to take consider the option that will ensure you have the most help after baby arrives!
  • I moved 1000 miles a month after DD was born, and while that's not quite the same situation you are in, it's pretty close.  And here's the thing--DD came two weeks early--so if I'd tried to move before the due date, I would have been cutting it awfully damn close. 

Anyway, I'd definitely stay and deliver with the OB you know.  You might even be able to explain the birth certificate situation and have it mailed to you at your new address?

GL--I know exactly how stressful it is to have these two  big life changes happening at once, but it's doable.  You got this!
    J15 Dec Siggy Challenge: Awkward Christmas Photos

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Fur Baby

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Move after. What if you went into labor on the road? Unlikely but who knows. Plus I can't imagine that it would be terribly comfortable being in the car for that long at "ready to pop" stage.
  • Thanks for all the help, I think I will be staying here till baby is born. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We moved when dd was 2 weeks old. It was not bad at all. I just popped her in the sling and she nursed or slept the whole time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"