LGBT Parenting
Options

POAS

So the DW and I are having a bit off debate over POAS or not. She thinks we should wait for the beta but I don't think I can.

Did you do it?
How early?
Was is accurate?
Me~35 Wife~32
Together 6 years
Married 2014
TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
11/5-ER
11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

Re: POAS

• Options

I didn't POAS because those things are so damn expensive and I would rather just wait with my first two IUIs.

With my most recent IUI I POAS twice once on 10d past IUI and again at 12d past IUI the first said negative which sucked.  The only reason I POAS again was cause I had a wedding that day and wanted to know that one was positive.

Me: 30  DP: 30

TTC#1

IUI#1 9/26/13 BFN

IUI#2 10/26/13 BFP beta #1 99 #2 456

2/20/2014 Brynlee Madeline is taken too soon at 19weeks she was perfect

IUI#3 6/10/14 BFP beta #1 276 beta #2 722 20w A/S shows we are having a girl

• Options
    Well, I'm a known pee pusher :). I did IVF, I peed every time (4), and all were accurate though the "when" varied slightly. I had 3 bfp and 1 bfn. The bfps were all 5dp5dt(=10dpo) but some early morning, some at night.

The way I see it (and I've said it before here) is that a positive pee stick is a ticket to the next round (beta). And beta is your ticket to an ultrasound. And a heartbeat at the u/s is a ticket to your first tri...etc. For me, while obviously not a guarantee (I got 1 baby out of those 3 bfps), it still felt good to me to be in the game!

Good luck!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @2MamazInSeattle‌ "pee pusher"! Too funny:)

I ended up buying 4 tests. Now I think I'll just obsess over when I should use one. Saturday will be my 5tp5dt so I guess time will literally tell.

You ladies who've waited are some strong willed chicas! That's impressive!
    Me~35 Wife~32
    Together 6 years
    Married 2014
    TTC~ Reciprocal IVF
    11/5-ER
    11/10-ET (1 blast) = BFP
    Beta @ 8dp= 185, Beta @ 10dp=752, Beta @ 16dp= 8,127
    7/22/15 - It's a boy! 

• Options
    ATXmommasATXmommas member
    edited November 2014
    Out of my 5 IUIs, I never once POAS....but I wasn't active on this board at the time. I'm sure @2MamazInSeattle‌ could have convinced me. ;) I've already decided that I'm pro-POAS when we start TTC #2 next year. Waiting for the beta call is torture. Would rather have my ticket to the next round earlier. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I fall into the POAS addict category. I have for every cycle. My one and only BFP came in the evening on 9dpiui.

I imagine I will continue with my addiction. It's hard not to once you start.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    At the end...we got like 10 boxes of dollar tree brand because we didn't feel as bad poas. When that thing turned we went and got expensive one! :) when it turned it went FAST! 2 babies and hcg was bumping!

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Options
    We had a routine down. We would POAS the day before the beta. That way we were together for the results and had time to digest them and I never wanted to test earlier than that and get stuck on the " it may be too early train". I liked solid results without grey :P
  • Options
    KH826KH826 member
    edited November 2014

When we were doing IUIs, I was a POAS crazy lady. I can't even tell you how many FRERs we went through. All 5 IUIs were BFNs by the way, and if I had just waited it out a little bit, my period would have given me the answer and saved me a lot of money. Oh well. When we moved to IVF we made a decision to NOT POAS at all. It was hard. Our mantra was "Beta or bust." I think we were just so terrified of IVF not working that we couldn't handle the thought of having to accept a negative a second before we had to. I also didn't want to play the squinting game trying to figure what I did or did not see. So, the one time that I actually got pregnant, I never did POAS at all. That was a good decision for us, and I think we will go the "Beta or bust" route again when we do an FET next year :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options
    We had to POAS. We didn't go in to the doctor for a beta without a positive at home pregnancy test. I think I did the first one at 10 or 11 days after IUI. 
  • Options

I'm an addict as well.  I don't think I could handle receiving that kind of negative news over the phone if I didn't already have a solid suspicion.  I really prefer it to be more confirmation than anything else.  Actually, given my somewhat embarassing reaction to my BFP, I probably shouldn't receive positive news over the phone either!  (I literally sat glued to the bathroom floor, saying "Oh my god!  Oh my god! Oh my god!" over and over again.  When I called S, that's all I could say.  Honestly took a few minutes for us to get to what was going on and that I wasn't hurt or dying, I was pregnant)

I POAS with every IUI.  I typically started about 8-9DPO, which was stupid in retrospect for a million reasons.  I'm wiser now.  On my one BFP cycle (which, obviously, resulted in G), I tested at 10DPO and got a BFN, then got a BFP at 12DPO.  Looking at my chart, I'm thinking he implanted on day 10. 

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    redrockmamaredrockmama member
    edited November 2014
    Another poas addict here. I even did about 10 more after the first positive. My wife hated it and made me stop telling her if it was negative. It made the wait easier and I wanted to know asap if it was positive. I never had a beta, we just did ici at home.

ETA: I think the first positive was 10 or 11 dpo

• Options
    When we first started we did POAS starting ridiculously early on our first try. Then we reeled it in.... No more POAS until there was a late CD1. Then it got to the point where we were getting our hopes up too much and CD1 was just devastating.

On our sticky cycle we went out on a limb and I POASed on CD 11. We had miscarried a little more then a month before and just needed to have a realistic view of what was going on. The line was so faint, sometimes when I look at the picture of it (which I do often) I am still worried it's not there at all and I get anxious that something is wrong... Which is ridiculous because I literally have a baby foot which I can feel wedged into my rib at this very moment. That's how our little bean got the nickname Squinter... Because you had to squint to see the line (Pic included).

I think either way a negative is devastating... But I now live firmly in the "I would rather know from day to day" camp!

Baby Hayden Frances born 12/20/14 at 11:11 a.m...  Our perfect little miracle.  Here's how we got here:

My lovely wife:

5 IUI's January 2013-June 2013- 3 Cycles with Clomid- BFN

Myself: Genderqueer guy who hopped in the driver's seat of the baby making train

IUI #6- 7/23- Monitored and Trigger on Day 12, with one 16mm follicle and one 18mm follicle- BFN

IUI #7- 8/21- Not monitored, 50mg Clomid- BFN

September and October: Missed Cycles due to vacation and a Half Marathon

IUI #8- Monitored and triggered on day 15, with one 23x18mm follicle- BFN on 11/19/2013

December:  Moved onto to see an RE to make a good plan.

IUI #9- 1/1/2014 Natural Cycle, BFP on 1/15/2014,  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

IUI #10 3/21/2014- Natural Cycle- BFP on 4/1/2014 (please don't be an April Fools.  Beta #1 13dpiui- 48, Beta #2 16dpiui- 416, Beta #3 1018...

1st Ultrasound- 4/22/2014- 6w4d HB- 134!

Check out my Blog at: http://pregnantboithinksoutloud.blogspot.com/ 

• Options

POAS addict here, too.

If I didn't POAS I think C would've squeezed my lower abdomen until I peed myself so she could dip the stick if I refused lol...

But actually, I was sneaky.  I didn't want her to think I was crazy so I kept a stash of Walmart 88 cent tests in my desk at work (that's the way to save money, y'all!).  I POAS to test out the trigger and it was gone by 8 DP IUI.  On 9 DP IUI at lunch time I took a test and it had the faintest pink line.  I freaked out thinking it may still be the trigger so I didn't say anything.  I took another test before I left work that night and it was still faint pink.

I used a Wondfo the next morning (you can buy them on Amazon for super cheap) and there was a definite pink line.  C didn't believe it so I had to buy a FRER to prove it to her later.

I got a positive so we went to Olive Garden to celebrate :) It was a very exciting and memorable day.  I don't regret my POAS addiction.

But everyone is different.  For some people, finding out the first beta number together is really special.  It just depends on what you both want to do!

• Options
    I am so on the fence with this. I had always been a test early and test often with every IUI up to the last one. I loved analyzing the sticks, finding shadows of lines, imagining lines, seeing that faint glimmer of hope early on. However my road to a sticky pregnancy was rocky with two early losses. With the last iui I didn't want to POAS or do betas. I finally did POAS on 16dpo (the day we would have done betas). I opted out of betas that last cycle- I truly hated the anxiety of waiting on results (I do love the immediacy of results when POAS). This last sticky pregnancy I did the single pee stick, got a BFP, scheduled an ultrasound for 3 weeks later. Tried to not obsess in the mean time. We traveled to see family for Xmas those 3 weeks in between so I was somewhat distracted. Overall I felt better about not being totally consumed with the results.

All that being said, that is just my experience/choice which was totally shaped by previous cycles. If I were you I would so totally POAS!

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    Another POAS addict :-)  

Each time my first positive was with a Wondfo (cheapies from Amazon). For getting BFP's = First time around it was at 10dpo, Second time (Kaden) it was at 11 dpu.  Third time (Owen) I received a negative at 10 dpo (and got my period that day) and a faint positive at 15 dpo. I took that second test because my BBT temp kept going up and that morning was 98.8 (coverline was 97.7) I was so shocked to see a second line that I ran into the bedroom and shouted at EV "Somethings wrong, the test says I'm pregnant!!!"  I never thought I'd find myself surprised to be pregnant - given all our planning ;-)  I've never had a Beta so I can't speak to them. I love reading about Beta results though, and seeing those numbers climb upward (my DYI Beta test is to continue POAS for a week or so and watch the line get darker).

Each BFP I took a test early in the morning and woke EV with the news. Then we'd cuddle in bed.  It's nice to have an intimate celebration together. 

Anyway whichever route you chose I hope its good news!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"