Parenting after a Loss

Childproofing the home...

Wifey xoWifey xo member
edited November 2014 in Parenting after a Loss

We had our carpets cleaned yesterday, so after playing outside with Tate, DH and I went up to Tate's room to play. We have been happy with the environment for him to roam, and bounce from toy to toy, because we thought is was completely child proofed. We were sitting on his floor chatting, when I heard Tate make a strange noise. I looked over to him and noticed right away that the white plastic tip to the door stopper was missing. Just like that, my almost one year old popped it in his mouth. He is fine, but it scared the crap out of us!

He is highly supervised when he roams the house, but it got our attention to go though the house and look again. We will be spending some time on that today. Apparently, that was the only one loose, but we have taken measures to secure them better. I know little ones stick things in their mouth, but that particular item could have been bad.

I have a toddler book with a great list, but was wondering if you have experienced anything random that was unexpected?

Tate will be one on Thanksgiving day! He was a baby bat for Halloween. *sp.

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

Re: Childproofing the home...

• I'm sure that was scary!  P loves to find things on the floor and shove them in his mouth.  So far, we have had to pry two rocks and one sliver of a granola bar wrapper out of his mouth.  It makes me feel like our house is dirty or something, but we have no pets and don't wear our shoes inside.  I have no idea where the rocks even came from.
  • @KikiCohen‌ I crawled around the floor and found a couple of questionable things that I got rid of. We won't catch everything, and this is so new to us. All of the blood drained from poor DH's face.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • How scary! I can't believe he is almost one. DD is into everything, her favorite thing to do is go in the kitchen and take all the bottles off of the shelf. Our kitchen is tiny so we bought a kitchen cart and half is open, the other half has a door.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• I really don't think there is such a thing as completely childproofed...except maybe a padded room, lol. 

With DS, he'd move from one way of endangering himself to the next as his skills emerged.  IMHO, childproofing is a work-in-progress and what's necessary for one kid isn't necessarily for all.  (example: My DS never cared one bit about cupboards...but he could spot a cord a mile away)

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• The one thing that I can't figure out how to childproof is the stairs. We have the actual stairs gated, but now DS is climbing up the outside of the banister. I went into the kitchen to throw something into the trash and when i came back he was 5 steps up on the outside of the banister.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• The only childproofing we did was putting the straps on the kitchen lower cabinets, and that was mostly because I got tired of putting everything back. LOL.

She chewed on cords, which I take away, but still at 18 months, if I'm vacuuming, she immediately picks it up and puts it in her mouth. Its a work in progress. She's never messed with the outlets, so we never did anything with them...

Like a PP said, childproofing is a constant thing. :)

My son finds our decorative outlet covers fascinating. Might as well be a big flashing sign, it is the first thing he goes for when free to roam. First thing we plugged, too.

imageimage

• The one thing that I can't figure out how to childproof is the stairs. We have the actual stairs gated, but now DS is climbing up the outside of the banister. I went into the kitchen to throw something into the trash and when i came back he was 5 steps up on the outside of the banister.

The stairs are the other thing he gravitates to, so I imagine I will have the same issue. My little guy moves like lightening, and he is crawling mostly!

imageimage

• We've baby proofed as we go. Yesterday I learned the heat vents in our dinning room aren't secured to the floor. Z was playing while I made lunch and I peaked in to see him sticking his arm into the vent! I really don't think you can baby proof 100% and I don't think you need to. Babies are very curious and while it's important for them to be safe it's also important for their development to learn by exploring. Z's room is the most baby proofed so if we need to leave him alone for a few min we put him in there.

Absolutely, so curious! Tate is the most content when he is exploring. I guess I felt his room, aside from his large pen were the safest for him, and he proved me wrong. There is no way this style house will ever be completely safe. Guess the gray hairs begin!

imageimage

• R. isn't mobile yet, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread. We haven't even begun to think about childproofing, and it will be time very soon!

CafeMom Tickers

January PAL siggie challenge; Good advice:

• @mamato3boys‌ Eww! We get some nasty critters here in Texas, so I am NOT looking forward to retrieving any of those he may come across! If only you could read her mind in the moment she decided a stink bug should be eaten. :-&

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"