September 2014 Moms
Options

LO Tight muscle causing head to tilt

The doctor said my 6 week boy has a tight muscle by or in his neck that is causing his head to tilt to that side. He said at his 2 month appt if it is still like that we will have to talk about it more. What will happen if it doesn't go away and what can I do to make it go away. I try rubbing it gently but idk if it is doing anything. Also would taking him to a massage therapist (we have 3 in our family) or to a chiropractor help?

Re: LO Tight muscle causing head to tilt

• Options
    My DD is like this. Our pedi said that it could eventually start pulling on the muscles in her face as well we have been referred for Birth toThree services but haven't started that yet. We have been doing a lot of tummy time and try to straighten her head when she is laying on the floor or we are holding her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take DD to a pediatric chiropractor. It's really helped with nursing (she was having difficulty nursing on one side due to a tight muscle). The chiro does very gentle adjustments/stretches and also showed me stretches to do at home. It's definitely worth a try!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took LO one to a chiro for bfing issues and it helped his tightness a lot. He use to always favor his left side but now is more balanced.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD has torticollis and couldn't therapy for a yr. I recommend doing lots of tummy time and holding your LO to the opposite direction. Also in the car seat/swing/bouncer use a receiving blanket and prop your LOs head up so the other side has to work to hold the head up while not doing tummy time.
  • Options
    We gently stretched our LO and started putting toys and mobiles etc. on the unfavored side. He is 3 months now, and much more balanced than before. It's usually caused by baby sitting breech for a period of time while inside you... it makes their head tilt to one side and stretches out the muscles.
    It can also give them a flat head on the side where they lay most frequently.
    I've also heard those turtle hats help... they have a little roll of fabric in the hat that you can position over the side where they lay most often, and then they can't lay that way anymore because the fabric is in the way.
    I would try gently stretching and the turtle hat before going to a chiro... it's really not that big of a problem most of the time :)
    Good luck!

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
    **Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
    "Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage
  • Options
    DS doesn't have a tight muscle per se, but he has a definite preference to look to the right.  We were concerned about torticollis, so we took him to the physical therapist when he was 7 weeks (he's 10 weeks now).  She told us no muscle tightness, just a preference, but still encourage him to look to the left since it could become an issue later.  She suggested holding him so that he has to turn to the non-preferred side to look at us, using objects to encourage him to track to the left with his eyes/head, wearing him in a carrier, limiting time in car seat/swing, etc.  He still prefers to look left, but has improved a lot.  We have just made it our mission to encourage the left side while he is awake :)

If you feel like something's up, I'd suggest seeing a PT.  Even if nothing's wrong, it's nice to hear that from a professional :) and it's always better to go early!!
  • Options
    We believe our LO has torticollis. She has her head turned to the right most of the time and started to geta flat spot. We feel that the RnP may have been one of the causes especially after tons of research. Because of this, we went ahead and transitioned her to the crib. We're already seeing improvements in her neck movements although she still favors the right more. We also looked up stretches via youtube if you want to check that out.

A side note/need to vent... My DH brought it up with her ped and her reaction was just okay let's schedule physical therapy. She just took his word for it instead of checking for herself, showing concern or giving advice. So we'll see how PT goes (on the 21st) and maybe change ped.

• Options
    My daughter has it. Chiropractic work is amazing. We also have her going to a crainiosacral therapist. Tummy time on a ball is number one!!! It really promotes neck strength.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"