June 2015 Moms
Options

Paleo moms

any other paleo moms out there? How have you adjusted your diet (if at all) for your pregnancy?

I have found that my paleo centered diet has not agreed with my cravings or nausea at all first tri (ummm pizza anyone??? Cocoa puffs??) and I feel terrible because I have indulged so much. Just the thought of my usual breakfast of eggs and veggies has made my want to vomit. I'm slowly getting back to my paleo tendencies as my nausea subsides ever so slowly. All along I've allowed some cheese and greek yogurt in my diet as I can't live without them. However, I am thinking of adding some grains as well, mainly oatmeal, brown rice, and quinoa for the duration of my pregnancy.

Re: Paleo moms

• Options
    I was mostly paleo before (I did a whole 30 stint earlier this year) but breads and carbs seem to be the only thing that helps the nausea. So I've given in - I know it isn't as healthy but we can't be miserable all the time either.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So true @dzashley ! I do have to get my act together soon only because I had GD my first pregnancy and I'm very likely to have it this time around too. My doc is keeping an eye on my sugar levels starting end of this month so unfortunately I may have no choice but to go low carb/low sugar again :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi girls! I WAS paleo prior to getting pregnant. I talked it over with my doctor...while she said it is perfectly safe, she said I will not feel as good or have as much energy as someone would that eats carbs (flour/grains/rice/etc). So.. like you, I've given in to cravings and just been eating what makes me feel good. I hope its easy to get back in the swing of things after the birth, but as long as I feel good and my baby feels good I'll do whatever works! Hope this eases your guilt!!

love, maggie

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Maybe as we get into the 2nd trimester we can check in with each other and post new recipes. I'm hoping to go back paleo add soon as the nausea subsides.
  • Options
    I was living a mostly paleo lifestyle but I can't do it when pregnant, especially the first tri.  I do NOT feel guilty eating what I can stomach, and honestly I don't understand feeling guilty for eating anything.  I guess if an entire diet is made up of twinkies and cheetos then maybe that person should reevaluate, but if I eat something and it brings me pleasure, then I sure as heck am not going to be mad at myself over it.  My DH is the opposite, he seriously hates himself if he eats 'bad food'.  Whatev.  I'm trying to stick with a whole foods diet, but if I need to eat some grains to get through the day then that is fine.
  • Options
    @shibby00‌ I only feel guilty because my diet has been pretty rough, even though I have tried to maintain a healthy diet, I have indulged way more than I should. Especially since I am at risk for GD, I need to curb it in, big time. I'm not one to promote guilt, and certainly not feeling guilty about healthy grains, I'm feeling bad about all the pizza and cocoa puffs and candy. This post was more about how to make a paleo lifestyle more amenable to pregnancy, by altering stuff like adding whole grains, etc. not to feel guilty for being unable to keep it strict...just wanted to clarify that.
  • Options
    I've never liked sour patch kids in my whole life....BUT OMG THEY ARE DELICIOUS. The watermelons are good too! Def. not paleo, but loving them. I still haven't gained any weight so I think the healthy paleo lifestyle pre-pregnancy will help us moving forward and hopefully after too!

love, maggie

• Options
    @KimberlyandThor2014‌ I definitely didn't take this as a guilt post. I think we are all struggling bc paleo is hard enough without throwing extra hormones on top of it. And the holidays won't make it any easier either! Lol.
  • Options
    True that! I will admit that it is nice to have legitimate reason to not be on paleo for the time being. I know my body will want it/need it again, but for now the little indulgences are great!! :)

love, maggie

• Options
    I was a vegan before my first pregnancy & paleo before this one. Both times it's gone out the window. Don't drive yourself crazy over some stupid dietary restriction you set for yourself. Eat what you can & worry about feeding your baby, not about breaking the "rules".
  • Options
    I am paleo and was pretty good about keeping it up. Until last week when all I craved was sandwiches. I am slowly introducing cheese back into my diet too.  I am cutting myself some slack for the next 7 months and eating what I crave in moderation.  
  • Options
    I didn't do paleo, but I did eat pretty clean prior to pregnancy... Right now I'm eating whatever sounds somewhat appealing and what stays down... 98% of the time it isn't healthy... I'm hoping to go back to healthy eating once the MS goes away!  
    Lauren
    Me: 25 Hubby: 28
    Married 7.20.13
    Baby #1 EDD 6/20/15 based on DOC

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Hi I'm actually due July 11 but I have been looking around for others with an alternative diet. I'm no sugar no grain( NSNG)/primal. I have definitely increased my carbs to around 100-150 g a day, but would really like to remain at least gluten free through my pregnancy. I'm definitely interested in how you guys are modifying and handling your dietary lifestyles. I'm usually eat whatever I want when we are out of the house, but we are usually strict in the home. Looking forward to delicious desserts :)
  • Options
    We were paleo and I didn't eat eggs and dairy because of an intolerance. Now, I basically only eat fruit, carbs, and cheese. I can handle the cheese while pregnant which is nice, and I don't feel bad eating the carbs but it is a mental shift for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm kind of paleo but do eat some potatoes, rice and cheese which fits in well with pregnancy :) I've been lucky and can eat all, although meat and veggies don't always taste as yummy as before. Been making homemade Grassfed liver pate some too which would be a no no to many!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"