September 2014 Moms
Options

Nipple shield

Anyone else using one? My son was born tongue tied and I have flat nipples, so we weren't exactly a match made in breastfeeding heaven. We've used a shield from the start, but now that his tongue is clipped and he is almost 4 weeks old, I wanted to wean. Today he ate twice without it! I felt so proud and happy! Just tried again and he screamed and fought me and would not/could not latch. We were both crying and now the shield is back on. I don't know what to do. It would be really nice to feed my son without a stupid giant fake nipple between us! Everywhere I go I have to rememebr the shield, and continuously wash it. And it makes a big mess because it fills with milk and drips/he knocks it off... It makes me want to give up completely.

Re: Nipple shield

• Options
    I have used a shield since the beginning and will probably always use it. It works for us and make breast feeding less stressful. LO can nurse without it, but hates it. Happy baby, happy mom.

The shields are cheap, I have a few. That way I always have one available.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I have used a shield since the beginning and will probably always use it. It works for us and make breast feeding less stressful. LO can nurse without it, but hates it. Happy baby, happy mom.

The shields are cheap, I have a few. That way I always have one available.

Totally all of this. I almost gave up on breastfeeding and have heard a different reason for lo's latch issues from everyone I've consulted, including my ped who says nothing's wrong.

I love my nipple shields!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you able to use the shield for a couple minutes when your LO first latches then take it off and immediately relatch directly to the nipple? I do this when I'm fairly engorged in the MOTN and it's harder to get a good latch until my boob is soft enough

• Options
    I used one in the beginning because LO had a lip and tongue tie (both now corrected) I jut kept trying and she has gotten the hang of it really well now. It really helped me to pinch my nipple/areola with my thumb and index finger to make it easier for her to latch. I would say to just keep trying. I know what a struggle it can be!
  • Options
    Don't give up!! I used a shield for 9 weeks and went on to bf for 19 months. It is a HUGE pain but you can do it! keep trying when LO and you are happy and calm and don't worry if it doesn't work, just put it back on and try again next time. You'll get there eventually!

• Options
    Following this thread as I'm in the same boat. I started using one because despite any physical issues, the LCs insisted that LO was having a tough time getting her tongue "organized". We've been successful without it a few times, but it's more stressful and I find myself just using it to make life easier- especially in the MOTN. It's not easier, however, when I just want to feed the kid when out and about as it's another thing to remember/sanatize and it makes using any type of nursing cover virtually impossible.

I'm super frustrated and I know in some cases that shields are absolutely necessary, but my UO is that LC's are too eager to suggest shields right away in the beginning so that Moms have a reason to pay to go back for help weaning off them.
  • Options
    Meganz927Meganz927 member
    edited October 2014
    Like a couple of the previous posts we had a hard time latching in the begining. DS didn't have lip or tongue tie he just constantly curled his upper lip under. I would pull it out but he would curl it back. He cried, I cried, DH always tried to help. He tore up my nipples so I decided to exclusively pump until my nips healed. I was so hesatant on trying to latch again, but tried anyway. Same problem, i wanted to give up, but I just pushed myself to continue and tried the nipple shield. It was glorious he actaully stayed latched. I even would try after a few min my own nipple without the shield, nope he just cried til i put the damn shield back on. Oh the struggle of him knocking it off before a good latch. Hopefully one day we dont need them, but for now all i care about is that he is eating.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    <: center;">Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    LO is 7 weeks old today and we are still using a shield. Occasionally I can get him to latch, but, because he is a lazy latcher and I have mostly flat nips, it's just easier for me to use the shield. Yes, it's a PITA, but, if it wasn't for shields, I would not be BF anymore. I truly believe shields are a godsend. Also, it didn't help that when LO was first born, we couldn't do skin to skin right away, because the baby nurses were too busy checking his shoddy vitals. When I finally DID have the chance to nurse, the lady just shook her head at me and said I would have trouble nursing because of my nips. Thanks for the encouragement lady.
  • Options
    Another thing to remember is that the shield and your baby sucking will eventually "pull out" your flat nipples making it easier to feed. With my second LO I had a much easier time with latch from the very beginning because LO #1 had "paved the way!"

• Options
    I second what @Everyusernameistaken‌ said. My nips are coming out more, and LO is only 7 weeks, so maybe in a couple months I won't need it anymore :)
  • Options
    I have used one since the begining because my lo was 6.5 weeks prem and couldn't latch. I have tried a couple times without it and she has only successfully latched once and it wasn't for a full feed- we are doing awesome with the shield so I figure il just keep using it as annoying as it is. I'm sure as she gets bigger we will be able to work it out :)
  • Options
    For those trying to wean, how is it going these days?

• Options
    I forgot to bring mine out to dinner with LO, so we made due without it. After a little fussing, he finally got it. It's just easier with the shield, because I don't like dealing with a fussy, hungry baby :P
  • Options

I used a nipple shield for the whole 13 months I breastfed DS1. Never tried to wean off of it. I'm doing the same with DS2.

This makes me feel better. LC gave me one in the hospital for an inverted nipple. I started using it on the other one after lo torn it to shreds. LC told me if I kept using it I'd lose my supply in 3 months. I've tried to wean her off but the shield is just easier. I have 3, one up stairs, downstairs and in the diaper bag.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mana8503 said:

I used a nipple shield for the whole 13 months I breastfed DS1. Never tried to wean off of it. I'm doing the same with DS2.

This makes me feel better. LC gave me one in the hospital for an inverted nipple. I started using it on the other one after lo torn it to shreds. LC told me if I kept using it I'd lose my supply in 3 months. I've tried to wean her off but the shield is just easier. I have 3, one up stairs, downstairs and in the diaper bag.
    Psh, idk what that LC was talking about, but it hasn't messed with my supply at all. If anything, it has increased, because LO can get more milk out more efficiently with the shield.

• Options
    I use it all the time since he was born. I love it! Also it's easier for him to use bottles now which means I get to SLEEP for a meal or two at night!
  • Options
    I finally was able to ditch the shield completely at about 6 weeks after trying since 4 weeks, I got really painful blisters and had to use it again for awhile, but we eventually figured it out and have had a full week of no pain and minimal frustration for him. He can even latch now when I'm super full, which is great. I did think for those two weeks we might never be able to do that. I liked using the shield and would recommend it to anyone having problems, but it's really nice to not have to cart the thing around anymore, not to mention how awkward it was to get situated under a nursing cover with it when in public.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"