School-Aged Children

what discipline/punishment (if any) would you do for the following?

Your DD who is 6 (kindergarten) comes home with her behavior chart and it says the teacher will call b/c she had to be sent to the principle's office. You speak to the teacher and she tells you your DD and another little girl were in the bathroom and your DD said to the other little girl "let me see your butt cheeks". The teacher said that was inappropriate and sent them to the Vice Principle's office. The girls were separated for the rest of the day.  A little back story DD has misbehaving in school for a few weeks leading up to this so this is not the first time she came home with a bad report...prior misbehaving included not listening to teacher and excessive talking when she's not supposed to.....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: what discipline/punishment (if any) would you do for the following?

• cjcouple said:

No punishment.  I would just have a talk about the inappropriate request, your bodies being private/discretion etc.  

I don't think that is misbehavior though. Just curiosity
    I agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No punishment.  I would just have a talk about the inappropriate request, your bodies being private/discretion etc.  

I don't think that is misbehavior though. Just curiosity
    I agree.

Thirding

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Loading the player...
  • Samesies.  I would want to talk to her to make sure she understood why that was a bad choice, but I don't think a punishment is in order.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited October 2014
    Mine just turned five but they still love bathroom talk and butt talk and think it is hilarious though we include bottom w privates that others shouldn't see and we shouldn't see on others so I would just talk to her about that as others have said including maybe where else she may have heard it. Ds came home the other day announcing that so and so has a different word for his penis, weenie! And then extreme laughter.
    Guess what I am trying to say is it was probably just to be silly and warrants a discussion but not discipline unless there is more to it...
  • I think it was more about she thought saying it would be funny not that she wanted to see anything....it was just kind of icing on the cake with other issues at school. I was more concerned about making her undertand saying that to someone is inappropriate...my DH thought based on that and the other not listening/talking she should be punished....we took away TV and made her stay in her room. also no fun activities. I think its sinking in now that there are consequences....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Personally, I think all developmentally appropriate. I can't imagine being sent to the principals office for that- maybe the third time, but the first? Doesn't the teacher know how to speak to kids and let them know that was inappropriate. They don't always understand that until it is explained.

I think over the top reaction on school's part.

We had a lot of similar issues- speaking out, not listening, etc in Kindergarten. My daughter has tons of energy and doesn't sit still. I worked with the teachers to develop a behavior chart to reward good behavior. At first. we were focusing on school behavior at home, and I felt like it wasn't the right place and it wasn't working- she was getting disciplined by me and the teachers for one action which wasn't fair.. By working with teachers to identify her needs, and what would help her act better, that was a better solution. It definitely worked- not crazy improvement but much better.

Fast forward- 1st grade, her behavior is totally normal. she just needed to grow up a bit.

• Your DD sounds like our DD. She had a rough start to the 2nd grade year. We didn't discipline beyond talking about appropriate and inappropriate things. We made sure she knew that she was to go into the bathroom either NO ONE besides mom, dad or grandmas. It seems to have helped the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"