Natural Birth

Introduction!

same1bsame1b member
edited November 2014 in Natural Birth
Hi Ladies
I recently stopped lurking on my BMB so I figured its time to do the same here too :). I have got a lot of good information here and I think its contributed to my decision with trying natural child birth. I am a FTM (23w today :) ) living in SoCal and tbh when I first found out I was pregnant, I was all about the drugs and medications. Then I spoke to my mom, who had a med-free birth with a short uncomplicated labor and started having second thoughts. I did a lot more research and realized how much of my thinking was based on fear. It just rubbed me the wrong way that I ran marathons and have always trusted my body so far (it has not failed me so far!) and now I choose to ignore what it is capable of. It helps that my husband is very supportive too. So we recently signed up for Bradley classes and started interviewing doulas. Every step so far has been giving me a little bit more confidence and little less fear. I hope this continues as the classes start and we do more reading.
On a side note, since this is my first time doing this, what are good things to look for or questions to ask a doula? So far I am trying to find one that I can bond with on a personal level. Thanks in advance!

Re: Introduction!

• Welcome!  So glad you found us!  I also used to be a marathon runner and I think it helps mentally prepare you.  Best of luck in this new journey!
  • Thanks! Did the marathon running help as far as being prepared for the pain?
  • Loading the player...
  • I recognize you from m15!! I still have a lot of preparing as well for a med free birth, personally I found the video "the business of being born" really helpful in finding the right questions to ask. I think they took it off of Netflix but it is on YouTube. Theres just so many aspects of birth that it brings to light and makes me feel very confident about my decision to go med free. It was a good starting point for me.
  • same1b said:
    Thanks! Did the marathon running help as far as being prepared for the pain?
    I think the short answer for me would be 'no'. 

I wouldn't describe contractions as painful, very intense, requiring all your concentration, but not 'pain'.  Plus another thing is, you will get a break and in that break you will feel pretty good/normal.  During a marathon, you really don't get a break and even if you stop to stretch or something, you certainly don't feel back to normal in that moment. 

I think my body's response and reaction to labor vs. a marathon was different too.  When I was running my second marathon I remember being at mile 23 or so and all I could think in my head was 'step, step, step'  I was forcing my legs to run when they were screaming at me to stop.  Sometimes I felt I was fighting against my body.  When I was in labor, it was more working with my body and instead of fighting it was sort of a surrender to my body, to the contractions.

Mentally though it's similar.  Your ability to zone out and focus will be invaluable to you, your strong commitment to the goal you have set, willingness to do the work involved (not just on your baby's birth day, but the days leading up to it) and the confidence that comes from knowing how strong and capable your body is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"