August 2014 Moms

Crib Transistion

Because I work every other weekend I get one day off during the week. This week I ended up with two! So I'm off work now and heard towards a 4 day weekend! I've got 4 nights to get LO to sleep in her crib.

She may be more ready than I am! I'll probably end up drinking my weight in coffee and sleeping on her nursery floor.

She sleeps good. Demands a 6:30 bedtime, sleeps in swing until 9 then I move her into bed with me. She usually wakes between 3-5 then goes back down until 7:30ish. So she only wakes once in a 12 hr time frame. But I'm SURE this won't be the case if she's sleeping alone.

Pray for my sleepless sanity! Any tips?

Re: Crib Transistion

• I use a white noise machine with both my kids. I think it helps them sleep better since it drowns out background noise. I hope the transition goes better than you expect!

• Maybe try and create a nest with blankets so that she feels more cozy?

I did that for the first few weeks and now he doesn't need it anymore.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but generally the nest of blankets is underneath the crib sheet so it's not a SIDS risk. They did it for our LO in the hospital.
  • Si
    CapsFan52 said:

It might go better than you think. DS sleeps BETTER in his crib. So do I, which surprised me. We had zero issues. Now, he's been sleeping in a mini pack and play since birth so, no snuggling in bed. I'm too SIDS terrified. And a nest of blankets sounds like a really, really bad idea IMO.

SIDS and suffocation risk! Even if it's under the sheet, it's a suffocation risk. I would never risk that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Even through our room is right across the hall and we sleep w the door open, we went ahead and got a monitor. That helped my peace of mind that I could still hear him as if he was right by me. We also bought a Baby Einstein "aquarium" noise and light machine. It gradually gets dimmer and quieter and plays either lullabies or ocean sounds...we like the ocean sounds. We usually lay him down awake or drowsy bit awake and this sooths him to sleep. When he first went in (6 wks) I put a rolled receiving blanket at the top of his head. Now (10.5 wks) he moves a lot so I don't do that any more. Good luck!
  • White noise and a swaddle. So long as she has those two things, she'll sleep anywhere. Honestly, it's harder on me than it is on her. I sleep on the couch every night now, because it's closer to her room than my room is and I'm worried that the monitor alone won't be enough to wake me up (I'm a heavy sleeper and have slept through her crying before, only to wake up to my husband soothing her). But yeah, first nap in the crib went fine and first nighttime sleep in the crib was even better. Hopefully you'll have similar luck! :)
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• CapsFan52 said:

It might go better than you think. DS sleeps BETTER in his crib. So do I, which surprised me. We had zero issues. Now, he's been sleeping in a mini pack and play since birth so, no snuggling in bed. I'm too SIDS terrified. And a nest of blankets sounds like a really, really bad idea IMO.

It's not as much of a risk then you may think. It's underneath LO, just like a crib sheet would be if it were thicker. As for the rolled up blankets on the side, it's simply to give a bassinet impression.

My LO is sleeps on his back and side. I only did it for him to get adapted. I wouldn't recommend it if LO was a tummy sleeper and can't roll over.
  • We went from rnp to crib last week. She's sleeping awesome! Last night 1030 pm bedtime, woke at 10 am!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CapsFan52 said:

It's not as much of a risk then you may think. It's underneath LO, just like a crib sheet would be if it were thicker. As for the rolled up blankets on the side, it's simply to give a bassinet impression.

My LO is sleeps on his back and side. I only did it for him to get adapted. I wouldn't recommend it if LO was a tummy sleeper and can't roll over.
    I disagree. The AAP has their recommendations for a reason and I think ignoring them or encouraging others to is irresponsible.
  • We will attempt it soon, probably for naps first.  I bought a crib wedge at BRU and will cross my fingers that helps with the transition from the RNP.  His reflux seems to be pretty well under control right now, but I imagine it would be difficult to go cold turkey from sleeping reclined to flat.  My first did great going cold turkey from the swing but he wasn't a reflux baby.

• @Justine2502‌ people can do what they want with their own babies, but it definitely bothers me when someone recommends something very unsafe (even if their own baby did fine with it).

• @Justine2502‌ people can do what they want with their own babies, but it definitely bothers me when someone recommends something very unsafe (even if their own baby did fine with it).

The way i worked it out, it was not as unsafe as you seem to think. Perhaps its harder to describe through text but i was very cautions never the less. If i truly believed it was such a terrible idea, i would have refrained from suggesting it.
  • We are using a crib wedge at his chest/head and two tightly rolled up receiving blankets on either side lower on his body - all placed under the fitted sheet - to help his positioning. He slept like a champ the first night (4 days ago) and has been doing so ever since. So maybe the transition will be easier for you than you think. I'm seeing a huge difference in him now that we're out of the "fourth trimester." good luck!
    TTC #1 since August 2011 w/ unexplained IF
    09/12-11/13: 3 TIs, 3 IUIs, ICSI/PGS IVF & 2 FETs
    08/14: Our little miracle has FINALLY arrived - 3 years after we started trying!
  • Let us know how it goes!  I plan on transitioning from the RNP to the crib at night next week.  I'm kind of dreading it, but these positive stories give me some hope!  I already transitioned her from the swing to the crib for naps and she does ok but she only sleeps for 45 minutes.  I'm hoping it's a nap issue and not a crib issue.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I thought the crib move would be terrible, but he did really well.  My LO will not nap in the crib, no way no how, it's the swing or nothing, so I was expecting the same at night.  Nope he goes down in the crib and sleep same as he did int he PNP in our room.  We're both sleeping better to because we don't have to worry about making noise and waking LO up in the MOTN!  Now if only DST hadn't screwed up his schedule I would get a decent nights sleep!
    Aug' 14 July siggy challenge - Motivational Speaking For Momsimage

• Soo she slept 6:30-8:30 ate, slept 9-10:30 ate, but wouldn't go down in crib. By 12 I gave up (bad). She slept with me until 3:30 ate again. In crib from 4-5. Then me until 7:30.

She woke WAY more than usual. She did decent crib time so I wouldn't say total fail. Hoping tonight I can have more patience and she won't be with me at all. Bring on night two!
  • It's getting a little feisty in here! I go back to work in two weeks, so I'm going to try and convince DH we should make the transition from PNP to crib very soon (he turned 10 weeks today). We used a rolled blanket in his PNP, and we'll do the same in the crib, while also using the snuza and baby monitor. He's not a great crib napper, but our bedtime routine starts in his room anyway, so hopefully it will make it easy enough.
  • @BabyM82714‌ not a total fail at all! We started putting LO in his crib for little stretches of time starting when he was a newborn. So sometimes he'd sleep 30-45 minutes in there before waking and wanting to sleep in his chair or with me, but I still considered it a success. He sleeps wonderfully in the crib now but it was definitely a gradual process, you're doing really well. :-)
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• I just set up the crib for naps yesterday. DD has been sleeping really great in her RNP. She did a 45 min morning stretch and 2 hr 15 min afternoon.

With a reflux baby our dr said to get the mattress to a about a 30% angle with towels under one end. Problem is if she wiggles she shifts around and down the little slope! She also kicks around whereas the RNP she can frogleg against the butt part. Wondering about a wedge or blanket under the sheet under the butt...

• @BabyM82714‌ I think that's awesome! You may want to try a couple of crib naps during the day today if possible. One other thing I thought. DH and I sleep w our room completely dark...I think that is one of the things that first signaled to LO the difference between night and day. So we keep his room the same way now. After his noise/light machine is off...it is very dark. Just like ours after we turn off the TV. I guess what I am trying to say is to think of how you can reproduce the environment of your room as much as possible in hers! Good luck w night two!
  • @BabyM82714‌ i agree with becominggold, try to recreate your previous sleep environment in the crib. I had to change our crib sheet to a jersey material because thats what she was used to sleeping on in our bed. My other advice, make sure your LO is deeply sleeping before trying to move them into crib, then lean as far into crib as you can to put them down. My LO falls asleep in a cradle hold feeding position and i discovered real quick that the side of her body that is touching me (the side of her head that is in contact with my arm) is the side that needs to contact the mattress, don't try to roll her over onto the opposite side, it wakes her. I hold my LO for 45 minutes before i make my attempt to make sure she is well into her deep sleep cycle. She sleeps so well in her crib. Good luck if you still need it and i hope this helps!
  • Am I the only one who lets her kid sleep whenever and wherever she wants? Some nights I put her down in her crib and at her first wake up transition her to the rnp. Sometimes it's through the night in the crib. Sometimes it's in my bed if she just won't sleep in her room. I guess I just don't care as long as both of us are getting a decent nights rest. Am I dooming myself to a life of misery down the road? :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"