May 2013 Moms

Extended bf

Who is still breastfeeding? How's it going? Any plans to stop?
Im still nursing. I never thought I'd make it this far. She doesn't drink breast milk at daycare anymore, but nurses when we are together, which means im still pumping at work. I think it's going to be so hard to stop. She shows no sign of being ready, as it still seems to be her comfort, so I keep going. Anyone else?

Re: Extended bf

• We are still nursing.  He only nurses morning and evening during the week and on the weekends he might nurse once or twice more throughout the day.  He never really ever drank BM at daycare (has been going since 12 months) and I only ever pumped for one month then I just dropped pumping all together and it has been working out fine.

I'm shocked that we are still going.  My goal was 12 months so I'm happy to have made it this far and he doesn't seem to show any signs of stopping so I'm not going to stop him either.  I also still that time with him so I'm not ready to stop either.
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I bf until 14 months but had stopped pumping at 12. My supply stayed fine and just adjusted to the morning and night feelings. You could maybe try dropping some pumps and see how it works.

Huge kudos to both of you @Angela183‌ and @Kashy‌! Bf this long is no easy thing to do!!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We are still nursing in the mornings and evenings. I have become super relaxed about it (for example, if I go out to dinner and dh puts him to bed, I don't pump or anything). He did pretty well dropping the daytime feedings. However, if he even sees the boppy, he literally throws it at me and demands to nurse, so it goes bye bye during the day. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still nursing. I BF DD#1 to 10 months, and DS to 18 months when he self weaned when he caught Hand, Foot, and  Mouth disease and had blisters in his mouth and wouldn't nurse for days. I'm letting this LO self wean too, but it looks like she has no interest in giving it up any time soon. I was teaching last school year, and pumped up through June when she was 13 1/2 months. Then we were off for the summer, and I decided not to go back.  So, I stopped pumping in June, and have just nursed her on demand ever since. She won't drink WCM and only drinks water otherwise. She has an egg allergy, and my son has a nut allergy. Because LO is not a fan of meat, I feel the BF is her only real good source of protein so I don't mind at all.  I know this is my last baby (of course I thought that with DS who I also nursed longer) but it's for sure this time I'd say given I'm 44.  I'll nurse her as long as she wants.  We only nurse at home, so most people don't even know I'm still nursing.  

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I'm still bfing. LO will bf morning, nap time, bed time and throughout the night. Depending on what we're doing, he'll bf more throughout the day (I stay home with him). I plan on letting him self wean, and he is showing no signs of slowing down.
    photo 557d2a08-8ed4-4d2b-9ba6-5f4850d67476.jpg
  • I am still breastfeeding.  During the work week, we only nurse before bedtime and motn if she wakes up, which is about half the time.  On the weekend, if it were up to her we would nurse all day, but I try to limit it to morning, before nap and before bed.  Last night I went out for a girls night and for the first time since she was born, we didn't nurse before bed. DH gave her some yogurt and a sippy of milk before bed and rocked her to sleep and she slept all night.  This morning when I got up, she asked to nurse right away. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm still BFing and pumping at work. They nurse about 4-5 times a day still including overnight and show no signing of weaning themselves. In fact, sometimes they push my shirt out of the way and cuddle up to my boob without nursing. I still plan to let them wean themselves whenever they choose to, although I do wish they'd stop nursing at night. I have no idea how to night wean two bed-sharing babies though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @3timemom, you can do it! My first was formula fed and it was the best thing for our family at that time, but I really wanted to breastfeed this time around.I'm not sure if you hung out on the BF board at all the last time, but it's been really helpful to me, and very supportive when I've had tough spots.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am still nursing as well. I plan to start weaning around 2 if DD doesn't self wean sooner. Almost threw in the towel when I ended up with mastitis last week, though. Who knew it could happen this late in the game?!?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We are still BF.  We are down to 2 sessions per day, morning/wake-up and bedtime.  I pumped at work until 15+ months but eventually stopped since I was getting very little (not even 2 oz in 30 minutes) and LO was moving to the toddler room at daycare with no bottles/BM allowed.  It took LO a while to accept the sippy and WCM but now she loves it which is basically what led us to drop our daytime nursing sessions.  She just wasn't that interested anymore.  But she still seems to want to nurse in the morning and at bedtime so we are continuing with that for now.  I'm ok with child-led weaning at this point..we'll see if that changes as time goes on.
  • I worry about mastitis too. Whenever LO doesn't nurse as much I seem to get clogged ducts. I'd love to drop down from 2 pumps to 1 per day. My fears are mastitis or drying up.I'd like to be done nursing by 2, but at this rate I'll be nursing forever lol.

• @Angela183 You should be able to drop down to one pump at work without a problem. I'd wait a week or two until you feel you are not at all engorged with that, and then drop the pumping at work all together. You won't dry up if you stop pumping at work after nursing this long. I never had a problem with only pumping once at work, and then nursing more times on the weekend.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"