High-Risk Pregnancy

New Here (intro) - Back issues/herniation anyone??

I am 30 weeks pregnant and do have GD, it's controlled. I also have disk degeneration. After having my first DD1 2 years ago, I herniated 2 disks in my lower back (L5S1) and had to have emergency surgery. I couldn't lift my daughter or carry her for 8 weeks! This time around, I'm already having a lot of pain and I'm worried I will re-herniate my disks. My OB is worried too and I'm seeing my surgeon Tuesday...I am having a scheduled c-section this time Jan 7 but I'm really worried that I won't make it that long with the amount of pain I'm already having. I can not have another surgery. It would be a disk fusion this time. Anyone been through pregnancy with severe back problems? Or have any words of comfort or advice? My epidural didn't take during my vaginal delivery with DD1 and I'm worried the spinal won't take bc and that they will have to put me under. I'm a nervous mama in pain!

Re: New Here (intro) - Back issues/herniation anyone??

• What surgery did they do the first time? I am a chiropractor and am very familiar with back pain.
  • They scraped off the herniation as much as they could. Most of the disk was hard as stone though from my years of disk degeneration (diagnosed at 19). So the risk is serious of it re-herniating and needing a fusion is serious. I have an appt with my surgeon tmrw. I'm just not sure I should risk going full term with this LO bc I can't have another back surgery. I have a toddler and will have a newborn.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. I'm sure that your surgeon will have more insight on if you can make it to your scheduled due date. You are right, back surgery with a toddler and a newborn would be quite difficult. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"