Trouble TTC

RE Results... So... Question (XP in TTGP)

Well, I had my first RE appointment this afternoon. Doc took our history, then took me back for an ultrasound. And found a cyst on my left ovary. So we're benched for the month to see if it goes away with the help of birth control.

The cyst sounded pretty large, at least to my uneducated ears. My left ovary measured 39 by 37 (mm? whatever measurement, he just said numbers). The cyst? 36 by 33. Obviously I could have misheard because that sounds really large compared to my ovary. But those are the numbers coming to mind. My right ovary measured something like 22 by 19, which he only determined after a minute or two of searching because he couldn't find it at first.

I'm disappointed. I'm sad. I've asked DH to just please let me be sad. I understand it's an answer and we're taking steps to fix the problem. But I'm still sad.

Now the question: is this cyst causing fertility issues? He didn't really explain the concern over it, and I was so dazed and whatnot that I didn't think to ask. Just nodded along with everything he said, took my papers with lab instructions for my HSG and blood work, and went on our merry way. I just don't know what affect this cyst could be having and am curious what you knowledgeable ladies know about these things.

I should note that I had a cyst on my left ovary back in June. Follow-up ultrasound in July showed it was gone. So now I'm not sure if this is the same one and the u/s tech missed it (doubtful) or if my left ovary just enjoys forming cysts.
Married to the love of my life since September 2013.
TTC #1 since January 2014
Met with RE Nov 2014: Cyst on left ovary. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy 12/3 to remove cyst, endo, polyp, and fibroid
12/14: Natural cycle = BFN
1/15: Starting Femara for IUI #1

Chart Stalk Me
PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
TTGP January Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails

Re: RE Results... So... Question (XP in TTGP)

• I am sorry for the bad news. I do not have much advice. But I just wanted to stop in and say that ill keep my FX that the cyst goes away and you wont be on the bench for long.
    Married: 12/15/2012    TTC: 08/2014
    Husband: 26 SA: normal
    Me: 23 Low AMH and damaged ovaries due to chemotherapy.
    No AF or O in 3 years. HSG showed a slight T shaped uterus.

High Risk OB 9/29- got the ok to get pregnant.
    RE Appt:  10/28/ U/S showed follicles, but also small damaged ovaries.
    B/W results CD0: all normal except low AMH at 1.3
    Cycle 1-November (TI)- Femera 2.5mg, 2mg Estradoil, and Trigger=BFN
    Cycle 2-December (TI)- Femera 2.5 mg ,4mg Estradoil, and Trigger= No O
    Cycle 3-January (TI)- Femera 5 mg, 2mg Estra
    doil, and Trigger=

• It is possible that a cyst can produce estrogen and act like birth control (signal to your brain that a follicle is already developing, so stop stimulating follicle development this month). If your earlier cyst had resolved and now you have one again, there's a chance that it was the same cystic follicle doing its thing, but it doesn't really make a difference if it was the same one or a new one. 

More likely this is just either a) the normal ovarian cysts that just happen to many women now and again, or b) a possible sign of PCOS (and although that sounds scary, it is quite common and highly treatable!).

I had always pictured cysts as being small growths on a bigger ovary, but it turns out that they are really large compared to the size of an ovary. A normal ovary is a couple cm long, and a typical cyst is also a couple cm long. I spent a couple months getting ultrasounds for 2 cysts (left and right) that were discovered before we were seeing the RE, and only after a few months I had an appt with the GYN who told me the images had shown a 5cm and a 6cm cyst.

Just imagining those things growing in my body made me so lightheaded, I couldn't hear anything else she was saying, the blood drained out of my brain, and I almost passed out- she realized and tipped me back on the table and took my blood pressure. I guess the point is, I understand how upsetting it is to think of a big ol' cyst growing on your ovary! But later I found that this was kind of typical. 

I definitely went through a lot of sadness/emotional readjusting as the results of our testing kept coming back. Be kind to yourself, and if it helps, keep your eye on the prize. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! I guess I just don't really know what his "worried" looks like since yesterday was our first appointment with the RE. But DH said the same thing last night: his reaction to seeing the cyst wasn't "oh shit!" So that's good. I feel a little better this morning, so there's that.
    Met with RE Nov 2014: Cyst on left ovary. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy 12/3 to remove cyst, endo, polyp, and fibroid

Chart Stalk Me
  • I had a 40mm cyst at my baseline for an IUI cycle (which was cancelled), and 4 weeks later it was much smaller and not producing much/any estrogen and I was able to start a new cycle. I was completely devastated that our cycle was cancelled, but it ended up not being a big deal in the big picture. Most cysts are "functional" and go away on their own and aren't a health problem.

Hang in there, I know being benched sucks.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• No advice or experience, but good luck.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • I think that is pretty normal size for a cyst. I relatively frequently get 5-6cm (50-60mm) cysts. The first one took a long time to go away (4 or 5 months?) but since then mine have all been gone the next month. I don't know if it is affecting your fertility or not, but I hope it goes away quickly so you can start treatment!!
    ***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • There are so many different kinds of cysts out there, I think that is why your RE is wanting to wait and see if it goes away. At least before taking any drastic measures. He doesn't sound too alarmed by the cyst, and as long as you told him about the first cyst and it seeming to go away then he should be able to gather some info and get a better idea on what is going on and give you a good low down on your next visit. Don't get too upset about being benched. It's just the firs step into a very long road. I know for us I honestly left with our diagnosis and for some reason just felt like well I will just magically poof and be preggo. And that's just not how it works. It's ok to be sad though. It's a shitty place to be stuck in the middle of limbo. Just make sure if you have questions you write them down. Feel free to google them but really don't trust too much in Dr. Google, he isn't all that certified ;P Just keep a list and you can bring it in with your next apt, say I had questions about this, I read this online, is there any truth to this, what options do I have about this. It's ok to come in with other ideas and therapies. Bring them up, he can explain to you why he thinks they are or are not an option for you and help you get a better grasp on where he is coming from. Remember that he went to school for this for a very long time, and he gets paid a pretty penny so he knows what he is doing. Not saying he is Jesus and will just put a baby in it, but have a lil faith in the guy and always ALWAYS ask questions. Don't feel worried how silly you look or you think the question is dumb. It's your body you have the right to know what is going on. Hope things start looking up for you guys here pretty soon and you aren't stuck in the 3T for too long!
    Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
  • @kistra‌ thanks for the info! Glad to know its not abnormally enormous. I was really freaked out when he started calling out measurements to the nurse!

@mrskimmell‌ I will definitely be writing down questions and asking! I also have the email and phone number of our clinical nurse, and I was told I could contact her with any questions I have. I was just in such a daze with all the information he was throwing at us that I couldn't think straight!

Chart Stalk Me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"