July 2014 Moms

Rolling over while sleeping

DS is just coming out of sleep regression (the struggle is real y'all), and has decided that he needs a new hobby to keep him up at night. He has chosen rolling over in his sleep and freaking out about it.
Anyone else having fun with this ?

Re: Rolling over while sleeping

• Loading the player...
  • He started rolling in his sleep a couple of days ago. He's fine. He can usually flip himself back. This morning he managed to rotate 180 degrees, flip onto his belly, and get one arm out of the sleeve on his sleeper and was sucking his thumb w his hand coming out the neck of his sleeper.
    DD has been rotating like that in her crib for awhile.  It's always interesting to see where she'll be facing when we check on her.  Now that she's rolling over a bit I'm hoping it settles down some.
  • I'd be fun with him flipping over if he was okay with it. He flips and screams until someone flips him over. At least he goes right back to sleep after.
  • DD #1 did this for a month and cried everytime she was on her stomach. Don't worry, it doesn't last forever. Now is the time though to make sure extra stuff is out of the crib!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• When we were little the docs said TO put us on our bellies. We survived :) my LO has slept on her side or belly since day 2. She wiggled on her side from the start! Crazy.
  • my baby was just coming out of coughing herself awake every couple of hours at night (10 days-2 weeks now) she used to sleep through the night with 1 MOTN nursing session and drifts off to sleep during that, she was sick and the cough still lingers now so it's still making her wake up 2-3 times at night.

She now decided it's fun to flip over to her tummy and then cry and scream because she doesn't like it every hour or so, flipping her back to her back isn't enough, she wanted to nurse...every...single...time although she had all of her feedings the day and evening before and more. Woke up this morning and yesterday with not much milk to pump for her feedings at nursery today and tomorrow that I had to supplement her with formula when I went back home and pump instead to have the last missed bottle of BM for nursery for the day after

just to top it off I'm sick and on antibiotics and with her new lack of sleep schedule, I'm getting 0 rest which means I'm not getting better fast enough.

If anyone has a solution to this please help, a way to get her to fast learn how to flip herself back or to just not flip during her sleep in the first place?
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • NADA-H said:

my baby was just coming out of coughing herself awake every couple of hours at night (10 days-2 weeks now) she used to sleep through the night with 1 MOTN nursing session and drifts off to sleep during that, she was sick and the cough still lingers now so it's still making her wake up 2-3 times at night.

She now decided it's fun to flip over to her tummy and then cry and scream because she doesn't like it every hour or so, flipping her back to her back isn't enough, she wanted to nurse...every...single...time although she had all of her feedings the day and evening before and more. Woke up this morning and yesterday with not much milk to pump for her feedings at nursery today and tomorrow that I had to supplement her with formula when I went back home and pump instead to have the last missed bottle of BM for nursery for the day after

just to top it off I'm sick and on antibiotics and with her new lack of sleep schedule, I'm getting 0 rest which means I'm not getting better fast enough.

If anyone has a solution to this please help, a way to get her to fast learn how to flip herself back or to just not flip during her sleep in the first place?
    We're going through this too (see my post in the 4 month sleep regression post) and from all my Googling, I've gleaned that it's a 5 month "thing" that they'll eventually figure out. I read on a couple sites that you can try rolling up receiving blankets to put on each side of baby to discourage rolling but I haven't tried it. I guess I'm too nervous about having the extra bedding in the crib.
  • I will try the receiving blankets and just put them under her arm pits away from her head I guess
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • @NADA-H‌ @Soon2BMrsN‌
    I have been using a rolled hand towel wrapped in a receiving blanket to position LO for a couple weeks now. She was favoring sleeping with her head to one side and it was the doctor who suggested it. I was really nervous at first about having the towel in the crib, but it's never even moved with her wiggling and thrashing around. It seems to flatten under her arm a bit which I think keeps it in place. Just trying to give some reassurance because I know the sleep situation can be nerve wracking.

I may try this. The rolled up A + A blanket didn't seem "sturdy" at all on its own but I can see how the hand towel could help. She was up twice within two hours of going to bed last night and the second time, I said screw it and put her in the swing...where she sttn. Trying to not care about where she sleeps and focus on the fact that she's sleeping at all, but she was a perfect angel baby who slept in her crib all night until a week ago. I'm not equipped to deal with these shenanigans -- haha! I have enough to contend with with my 3yo who still has multiple night wakings.
  • @NADA-H‌ @Soon2BMrsN‌ I have been using a rolled hand towel wrapped in a receiving blanket to position LO for a couple weeks now. She was favoring sleeping with her head to one side and it was the doctor who suggested it. I was really nervous at first about having the towel in the crib, but it's never even moved with her wiggling and thrashing around. It seems to flatten under her arm a bit which I think keeps it in place. Just trying to give some reassurance because I know the sleep situation can be nerve wracking.
    I may try this. The rolled up A + A blanket didn't seem "sturdy" at all on its own but I can see how the hand towel could help. She was up twice within two hours of going to bed last night and the second time, I said screw it and put her in the swing...where she sttn. Trying to not care about where she sleeps and focus on the fact that she's sleeping at all, but she was a perfect angel baby who slept in her crib all night until a week ago. I'm not equipped to deal with these shenanigans -- haha! I have enough to contend with with my 3yo who still has multiple night wakings.

We're not having issues with rolling yet, but DD has gotten so used to being surrounded in the RnP that we are trying to transition her to a more open space. I've taken the infant snuzzler that we had for the stroller and placed it on top of the mattress and underneath the sheet, that way DD gets some support but the sheet is keeping everything under her. I was pretty nervous about adding anything to the crib, but after seeing her sleep in there - i'm confident that it's not going to be an issue. Just another idea - because both sides are raised, so I can't imagine a baby could roll over that. You can also remove the head piece if you want.

[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • We've been using a rolled up receiving blanket for sleep for a few months. We put it INSIDE the Jim jams or sleep sack. Does a better job of keeping it in place and less wandering-over-face risk
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited December 2014
    @littlemissmarla‌ @ksspiff‌

Thanks for the ideas! Last night wasn't too bad -- she rolled/woke/nursed once at 3:15 -- but there's no rhyme or reason for why some nights are worse. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next terrible night. :)
  • We've got a roller here too! She is all over the damn place. I usually find her on her stomach with her head wedged in the corner each morning. She also keeps busting out of the Merlin sleep suit. EVERY DAMN NIGHT. How do I stop her from doing that? She gets her legs up inside of it and then uses them to push and unzip it, fuhking Houdini-style.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had this same problem!  Just recently we starting putting my LO in a fleece sleep sack with sleeves, then swaddle just her arms in a light blanket.  Now she cannot get the momentum to roll over while she is sleeping.  So far so good! *knock on wood*  here is a link to a similar sleep sack:

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"