Natural Birth
Options

Professional Birth Photographer

Anyone planning on hiring a birth photographer or previously had one?  Comments/suggestions?  I'm thinking about doing it this time, especially since I'm going for a home birth.  It is not cheap, but I figure one of the most cherished days of my life, so probably worth it. 

Re: Professional Birth Photographer

• Options
    We are having an OOH birth and will not get a photographer. It has has to do with your budget and how comfortable you are with cameras.

For me, I always feel like I'm putting on a show when cameras are around. I felt that way at my wedding - just acutely aware that cameras and people were all around and it changes how you perceive the moment or your emotional reaction. At least it does for me. I don't want that feeling at our child's birth. I want to just fully feel it so I can think back about the moment, even if that means I don't have a photograph. 

We have a nice dslr camera and we will take it and snap a few pictures throughout. I'm good with photoshop so I can get that nice glowy/soft light affect that most photographers do. After the baby is out and we are all resting, maybe an hour or two after the birth, we will take one on our phones to send out to family. I am making a text group so we can just send something once and go to everyone. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    we did hire one and it was one of the best decisions I made. Was it expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes!! I love the moments she captured and not having to worry about taking photos or asking DH or my doula to do it. I felt like we could all be fully present in the moment knowing that all the important little details were being recorded. No one had to fumble around for a camera the entire time and i have beautiful photos/video of one of the best days of my life.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we did hire one and it was one of the best decisions I made. Was it expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes!! I love the moments she captured and not having to worry about taking photos or asking DH or my doula to do it. I felt like we could all be fully present in the moment knowing that all the important little details were being recorded. No one had to fumble around for a camera the entire time and i have beautiful photos/video of one of the best days of my life.

Was your photographer good about just being like a 'fly on the wall' and you didn't even realize they were around?  (That is what others locally have told me was the case)

• Options
    She was great!! She had two homebirths herself so knew what it was all about and how to be supportive and unintrusive. I ended up having a crazy fast labor and delivered on the toilet in our tiny half-bath. The photographer got up onto the sink to get some great shots!
  • Options
    My doula is a decent photographer, and she's agreed to photograph the birth. I don't want to pay for a photographer, but I would like some documentation of my labor. I know she'll get some good pictures without it being a big deal.
  • Options
    How much do they generally cost/what's the range?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"