May 2014 Moms
Options

Drowsy but Awake?

How do you do it? I can't get mine to go down in the crib fully asleep sometimes. (I'm talking dead asleep on me for 15+ minutes completely limp asleep). I'm in the over-tired, fighting naps cycle of hell right now. He is getting worse about not going to sleep without nursing (won't even take a warm bottle, must be boob). I need to break this and get my baby to sleep (preferably more than 1 hour at a time).
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
When Fluff Mail Arrives:

Re: Drowsy but Awake?

• Options
    Drowsy but awake is hit or miss for me. I have no idea what DC does to get DD to nap, but at night for bedtime an on the weekends for nap time, I nurse her. She will either fall asleep nursing or I know I'm empty and she's comfort sucking so I'll gently put my finger in her mouth to break the latch and put her in her crib. Most times, she'll flip to her stomach and go to sleep. Other times, she'll lie awake talking to herself or fuss for a few minutes before going to sleep. 

DD also has white nose, takes naps and does bedtime in her Halo sleep slack and the room is dark. Not sure how helpful I am. Good luck!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options
    I try to put him down drowsy every night even if I end up picking him up to rock to bed after a few minutes. Sometimes he puts himself to sleep and sometimes not but I always make him try.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    caycelee said:

I try to put him down drowsy every night even if I end up picking him up to rock to bed after a few minutes. Sometimes he puts himself to sleep and sometimes not but I always make him try.

I guess I'm worried he will just wind himself up, but your right, I should give him time to try I guess.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    Daytime naps are a problem for us too. At night, I nurse to sleep or most of the way there and then put her down. How long she stays down is hit or miss. I have found that if I lay down with her on our bed, she will fall asleep on her own but otherwise she needs help. She's getting better at resettling herself in the MOTN but still needs help often then too. We haven't done much in the way of training, just trying to give her opportunities to do it herself as much as we can and crossing our fingers that she figures it out.

We did briefly try the Pantley Dance from The No Cry Nap Solution. Didn't really work but I did find the book helpful in other ways.
  • Options
    caycelee said:

This is what I do and naps are starting to get better but an hour here is amazing!

• Options
    Cook251 said:
    Daytime naps are a problem for us too. At night, I nurse to sleep or most of the way there and then put her down. How long she stays down is hit or miss. I have found that if I lay down with her on our bed, she will fall asleep on her own but otherwise she needs help. She's getting better at resettling herself in the MOTN but still needs help often then too. We haven't done much in the way of training, just trying to give her opportunities to do it herself as much as we can and crossing our fingers that she figures it out.

We did briefly try the Pantley Dance from The No Cry Nap Solution. Didn't really work but I did find the book helpful in other ways.
    I misread that as the "panty" dance and was wondering what kind of fun I'm missing out on!

Maybe that's what I should start doing instead. Can't be any less effective! ;)
  • Options
    We fell into it. We never have put DD down asleep. She doesn't do that.:)

We make sure she's eaten recently, give her a paci, turn on sound machine and have lights off. She takes a few minutes to settle and then will usually sleep.

We don't have set nap times, just look for sleepy signs but she goes to bed about 7pm. Takes 2ish naps a day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This was us just a couple of weeks ago! It's exhausting and I just felt like a slave to "bed time"! My husband said, no more!

I just wrote up my story on the sleep training thread. I never thought I'd be promoting this so much but it worked and I'm soooooooo happy. Like, really happy. Like, I'm doing whatever the hell I want at night and not worrying about her waking up.

Good luck! Do whatever you need to do and I hope it works out!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    We've been lucky with this. Some nights she passes out during the bottle and we put her down. But many nights we put her down and she babbles and moves all around and then finally drifts off. If she ever fusses to the point of really crying I'll pat and shush her and hold her in place until she falls asleep. But if she is really crying I'll pick her up. Not sure this helps. I guess I'd ask how much you are letting him fuss vs cry. If he is just fussing give him time to settle on his own. If he is crying and screaming that is a different story

Naps are still a crap shoot for us.
  • Options
    See, that's the thing @Pinkpelican‌ he just goes straight to cry. He doesn't fuss because I put him down, he wails.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options

See, that's the thing @Pinkpelican‌ he just goes straight to cry. He doesn't fuss because I put him down, he wails.
    Same here.   I put him down for a second to put the sleep sack on and it's instant screams.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    QOTR said:

Same here.   I put him down for a second to put the sleep sack on and it's instant screams.

Do you have a mobile or anything else to soothe him? We had the lighted aquarium that moves and plays music. Or I hear the projector ones are nice. Something to distract him?

• Options

Do you have a mobile or anything else to soothe him? We had the lighted aquarium that moves and plays music. Or I hear the projector ones are nice. Something to distract him?
    Yes we have a light up mobile that also projects stars. We use the music only function (plays for 15 minutes) as part of his bedtime routine, I nurse him while it plays. But the past few times it's like nursing him before bed only winds him up, where he used to fall asleep on my boob. If he is upset the mobile won't distract him, and if he is not, he is distracted by the mobile but will get upset after only a few minutes. And now that he seems to not fall asleep nursing bedtime is getting worse! The past two nights my husband has had to sit holding and patting his back in the rocking chair for 20+ minutes to get him asleep. I'm beyond frustrated at this point!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    We started the Ferber method this week. He cried as soon as I put him down drowsy but awake BUT only cries for 10 min tops and last night finally went down without a peep and slept like a champ!! Best night of sleep since he was born :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"