October 2012 Moms
Options

Levi & Evan's quick delivery

Short Story:

On Tuesday, October 28, after my water broke at 5:30 pm, I delivered Levi Drake 7 lb 7oz and 19 inches at 8:44 pm and Evan Walter 6 lb 13 oz and 18 inches at 8:52 pm without an epidural, because there was no time.

Long Story:

I had been having contractions for weeks, but they were mostly irregular. On Tuesday, October 28, at 38 weeks 1 day, I was continuing to have irregular contractions.  Around 5:30 pm, I felt a pop.  I was debating if it was my water or something else.  I started to think it was something else, because I felt no wetness.  After a couple of minutes, I started to feel a trickle.  I quickly ran to the bathroom and then I knew for sure it was my water.  I yelled at DH, who was on the phone with a friend.  My clothes were all wet, so I sent him to get me a change of clothes. He then started running up and down the hallway.  He called his sister and his mom, who were at the store, and told them “this is not a drill, Kim’s water broke.” 

We started to get everything packed that wasn’t already packed or needed to be repacked.  DD had been napping and woke up during the chaos, so I got her diaper changed and dressed.  I called my parents to let them know that my water had broken.  I was not rushing, because my contractions seemed to be about the same as they had been for the last several weeks, just a little stronger.  DH was driving like crazy to the hospital.  He was afraid he would have to deliver on the highway.

We got to the hospital around 6:30 pm and checked in.  Around 7:15 they finally took me back to a room.  I think we arrived during a shift change.  While in the waiting room my contractions started getting a lot stronger and closer together.  They were about 2 minutes apart and my water was continuing to leak.

Once I got into the room they were struggling to get both babies and the contractions on the monitors.  They also had someone come in to do a quick u/s to see if Baby B was still transverse.  The doctor was having some trouble, so she called in someone else.  At the same time DH's mom and sister showed up to get DD, so DH went into the waiting room with them. Around this time they checked me and I was at 7 cm.  Because I was so far along, they immediately called the anesthesiologist and his assistant came in to ask me questions. 

While DH was in the waiting room, my contractions started getting closer and closer together and a lot stronger.  Ben finally came back into the room and my contractions were horrible.  I was squeezing his hand for dear life.  I told him that I was at 7 cm.  He was in shock.  They started attempting to put my IV in, but were having trouble.  I started feeling the urge to push, so the doctor checked me and it suddenly became chaos.  The doctor started telling everyone to call different people because I was ACH(?).  I asked if that meant I was complete and they said yes.  Meanwhile they are still trying to get my IV in.  They switched to my other arm, so I could no longer hold DH’s hand. 

After they got the IV in, they took me into the OR since they like to deliver twins in the OR.  The whole time I am yelling I need to push and they keep saying you just have to hold on you are doing so good.  They gave DH his clothes on the way to the OR.  Once I got to the OR they had me move to the table and scoot to the end of the table.  They told me to hold on a little longer.  The anesthesiologist assistant was on the phone with the anesthesiologist and asked me if I still wanted the epidural.  I said I wasn’t sure now, since they said it could take 20 minutes for it to go into effect and he agreed, but he stayed in case of emergency.

They finally said I could start pushing, but my doctor hadn’t arrived yet.  After a minute or two he finally arrived.  After a few pushes Levi Drake arrived at 8:44 pm.  It hurt so bad, I didn’t want to push out baby B.  DH went and took some pictures with his cell phone since the camera got left in the van.  Meanwhile the doctor broke baby B’s water.  The doctor then said I could start pushing whenever I was ready.  After a couple minutes I started pushing.  I wasn’t in a hurry to feel the ring of fire again.  After just a few pushes Evan Walter joined us at 8:52 pm.  Ben then went and cut the cord.  After Ben cut the cord, they had me deliver the placentas.  I think they had fused together, because I delivered them both at once. Levi measured 7 lb 7 oz, 19 inches long and Evan measured 6 lb 13 oz, 18 inches long.

We ended up staying at the hospital a few extra days because of issues with Jaundice.  Levi didn't pass the first time so he had to be under lights.  The next day Levi had made some improvements so they took him off the lights, but Evan was now having issues, so he had to go under the lights.  We had to wait till evening after they retested Levi to make sure he did okay off of the lights before we could go home.  That night, Halloween, we finally got permission to go home, but we had to take them to the doctor the next morning for a retest.  Evan ended up passing, but Levi didn't so we had to take him back to the hospital for a recheck the next day, but when we got there they didn't have the orders, so we had to wait to see the doctor on Monday.  He had gone up some more so they had him rechecked on Wednesday.  It was better, so no more checks, but his weight had gone down so it will be rechecked on Friday.

Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    

Re: Levi & Evan's quick delivery

• Options
    chricastchricast member
    edited November 2014
    So happy everyone is happy and healthy, congrats again! Beautiful family!
    image                 image
    Lilypie - (52Ft)

• Options
    Congratulations again. They are so cute! Beautiful family!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Twins and no epi? You are super woman. I am so happy that you got a smooth birth and 2 wonderful little ones out of the deal. Thanks for sharing. And congrats again..
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Options
    @mambonumber5‌ DH grew up in Nebraska, but we live in Kansas.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Options
    Congratulations!!

I am absolutely astounded that you gave birth vaginally to twins. I have seriously never heard of that in real life - like now, this generation. In this country, twins are an automatic c-section, no question. So I thought it was like that everywhere.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What a precious family picture. Congratulations again! Super mom indeed.

View Full Size Image

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!  

I am so impressed that you delivered twins naturally. Love this story!  Thanks so much for sharing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"