Stay at Home Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions

Because I don't want to clean my house...

Since she mostly watches PBS, I don't worry about my daughter watching too much TV. She knows more about animals thanks to Wild Kratts thank I could ever hope to teach her on my own. 
If she loved Cartoon Network it would probably be a different story. That channel rots your brain.

C 1/25/09
H 2/8/14

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Options
    My UO is that I feel annoyed whenever I read "no gifts" or "gifts unnecessary" on a birthday party invitation. My old-school etiquette is pearl clutching at any mention of gifts in an invite. And, I just think exchanging birthday gifts with friends is one of the joys of childhood. Why deny your child the fun? How do you explain to your kid why little friend Susie gets gifts at her party but you don't?  I'm using gift receiving as an opportunity to help my child learn how to be gracious, and he will be helping with thank you cards!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh yes, I may be pro-gift but I can definitely get behind no party favors! I try to provide a craft for the kids and that is their "favor."
  • Options
    I don't think it's necessary to have a birthday party for every birthday. Sure, I'm going to get my kids presents and bake a cake, but we don't have to have a blowout every year. 
    I actually agree with this. But if you DO have a party,don't tell your guests they can't or shouldn't bring gifts :-)
  • Options
    Because I don't want to clean my house...

Since she mostly watches PBS, I don't worry about my daughter watching too much TV. She knows more about animals thanks to Wild Kratts thank I could ever hope to teach her on my own. 
    If she loved Cartoon Network it would probably be a different story. That channel rots your brain.
    Wild Kratts is a FAV in our house with the 8yr and 3.5yr old! :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    I don't let DS watch Wild Kratts even though I know he would like it. I'm terrified of snakes and am afraid of an episode with snakes on it. I'm pathetic.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well, if she ever gets a sister, maybe they'll be vets!

FreeButterfly70

• Options
    You know the problem with watching television isn't so much the content as the overstimulation of their rapidly developing brains as well as the fact it's prohibiting any type of creative, physical play, right? I mean watching 3 hours of PBS is no better than watching 3 hours of Cartoon Network, except your kid might learn colors instead of fart jokes.
  • Options
    You know the problem with watching television isn't so much the content as the overstimulation of their rapidly developing brains as well as the fact it's prohibiting any type of creative, physical play, right? I mean watching 3 hours of PBS is no better than watching 3 hours of Cartoon Network, except your kid might learn colors instead of fart jokes.
    There are so many more eloquent ways to put this.
    Then by all means.... 
  • Options
    Okay I think I have one. My UO is that I do not understand this obsession with sending no treats in school lunches. Granted, our school is a charter montessori that attracts some pretty crunchy types. One mom today was aghast at our school field trip to safeway. The store gave the kids a brown bag with a juice box, granola bar and orange. We actually had a meeting about granola bars, for realz, a few months ago. I volunteered for the trip today and it was pretty funny. A freaking granola bar is not going to make your kid obese! Of course my kid has allergies so she got a cookie I brought with me. I made sure to sneak it to her lol!
  • Options
    I don't think it's necessary to have a birthday party for every birthday. Sure, I'm going to get my kids presents and bake a cake, but we don't have to have a blowout every year. 
    Agree, especially once they get into school and there's this weird, undeniable pressure to invite the whole class of 25! No way, Jose! :) E has only had a bday party with friends in K and 3rd. I'd love to skip to 5th for the next party and am crossing my fingers sleep-overs with just a few friends or trips with one friend become enticing as she enters Junior High.

• Options
    Linnea503 said:
    I actually agree with this. But if you DO have a party,don't tell your guests they can't or shouldn't bring gifts :-)

Can't disagree with either!  Especially the gifts - and I'd go as far as to say the same for other life celebrations as well (weddings, anniversaries, etc.)

• Options
    SouthernAcornSouthernAcorn member
    edited November 2014
    Damn, and I was hoping to raise the next Adam Sandler.

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• Options
    I think it is odd to care that someone requests no gifts at a kid birthday party. I don't care either way but I can certainly understand why it is done. Also with two school aged kids who get invited to more parties than I do, it is nice to not have to run out and get something for every party. The kids are not suffering
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Options
    Loosen up ladies, I was just joking. 

p.s. it's SAHM not SHAM. Just FYI.
  • Options
    The thing with birthdays is this. I would love to do the one friend for a special day out, etc. just in my mom friend circle though DD has about 8 pretty good friends, ie friends she sees on play dates once a month or so. I get worried my friends, her friends moms, will get upset without the invite and in return not invite us to their parties. It's stupid but I can't help it. Especially with the ASD diagnosis I want her to have as much of a full social life as I can arrange for her. I know it's weird but I can't help it. Life will change as she gets older, the gap between her peers and her may grow and the invites will slow down. But as long as I throw kick ass parties for her, we will get reciprocal invites so I will keep on lol.
  • Options

Keeptruckin said:
    The thing with birthdays is this. I would love to do the one friend for a special day out, etc. just in my mom friend circle though DD has about 8 pretty good friends, ie friends she sees on play dates once a month or so. I get worried my friends, her friends moms, will get upset without the invite and in return not invite us to their parties. It's stupid but I can't help it. Especially with the ASD diagnosis I want her to have as much of a full social life as I can arrange for her. I know it's weird but I can't help it. Life will change as she gets older, the gap between her peers and her may grow and the invites will slow down. But as long as I throw kick ass parties for her, we will get reciprocal invites so I will keep on lol.
    I can definitely understand your point of view... even without her diagnosis, this is a fear amongst many of our school friends. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"