March 2014 Moms
Options

Hoarding baby crap.

My sister is expecting and I am sending her all the baby stuff my LO has outgrown that I don't want to save for the next baby. I won't send anything that I would cry over if I never got it back.

I definitely want more kid(s) in the next few years.

I have almost NO storage space in my house and I hate clutter.

What would you save and what would you part with? What items are worth taking up precious storage space for multiple years?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hoarding baby crap.

• Options
    So far I'm planning to save furniture, toys, and bottle/food implements. We'll probably keep the car seat for now, although not sure if that is something we should replace with a new baby. We'll keep the stroller also.

Most clothes (plus outgrown leftover diapers) have been going to a friend of mine who had her baby at the end of July, with the exception of sentimental stuff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm keeping everything, but we're planning to have another baby soon. We're planning on being Team Green, so I'll be holding onto all the clothes. Our plan is to only have 2, so start yard selling things as baby 2 outgrows them. But....I'm not postive, so we'll see.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bahaha dh and I are having this debate right now. We have a huge bin full and we just bought another one for save this week and well it's full. In my defense it has the swing padding and the piano mat stuff. I just had him put the last of lo's summer clothes in it and he comes back "do we really need to save all of that?"

I already have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff I didn't like that people gave us, saving gender nuetral things we had and then stuff I loved.

I saved things that a boy can wear, which we had quite a bit. I actually need to go through it all again because j have just been shoving it in and not taking out the stuff I don't love.
  • Options
    @CHPhotoMama‌
    Just curious, do you have a bed frame that keeps the bed off the floor that would allow storage below it? We've store stuff there, under the crib (with a nice crib skirt you wouldn't even know...). We also happen to have several closets for stuff, but MY closets don't help you.

Obvious cost-saving keepers; crib, bouncer/swing, carseats (assuming you plan for more before the seats expire). I found used high chairs for MIL's house for $20 used, but in good to excellent condition online. I've also seen swings, bouncers for cheap, but if you love yours, why not try to find space?

Clothing - gender neutral, most fave items, fancy stuff, shoes!!! Any special blankets or toys.

If you can vacuum seal the clothing it will take up a lot less space.

If you keep anything with batteries remember to remove them first, you don't want to find the batteries have exploded in storage.
  • Options
    MamaOliveMamaOlive member
    edited November 2014

@CHPhotoMama‌
    Just curious, do you have a bed frame that keeps the bed off the floor that would allow storage below it? We've store stuff there, under the crib (with a nice crib skirt you wouldn't even know...). We also happen to have several closets for stuff, but MY closets don't help you.

Obvious cost-saving keepers; crib, bouncer/swing, carseats (assuming you plan for more before the seats expire). I found used high chairs for MIL's house for $20 used, but in good to excellent condition online. I've also seen swings, bouncers for cheap, but if you love yours, why not try to find space?

Clothing - gender neutral, most fave items, fancy stuff, shoes!!! Any special blankets or toys.

If you can vacuum seal the clothing it will take up a lot less space.

If you keep anything with batteries remember to remove them first, you don't want to find the batteries have exploded in storage.

The only thing that would possibly fit there would be clothes in space saver vacuum bags. I DO need to utilize the space though. The other beds in our house have no extra storage space, because DH keeps his music equipment under them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @CHPhotoMama‌
    I just had to mention it. A lot of people don't think of using the space under a bed. ;)

If you really are extremely limited on storage space, I'd suggest thinking about what you don't want to spend money on again. If, however, it will be several years before you plan to have another baby, you might be better off selling the high priced stuff and re-buy when you're ready.
  • Options
    We are keeping everything in case we have another girl.

The ziploc vacuum seal bags are awesome.
  • Options
    I'm keeping EVERYTHING.. Luckily our closets are pretty big so I've just been shoving bouncers, mats and all the padding that gees with it on shelves , under the guest bed, IN HER CLOSTE.. So far I have 3 Rubbermaid containers in her closet full of clothes shes all ready out grown .. Im running out of room for stuff.. Maybe I'll try the vacuum bags ... 

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Everything is going into storage. So far we have three bins of clothes, a bin of maternity clothes, and all the toys/swings etc. I figure if I have another girl we will need it all. And if we have a boy, our town has a FB trading post that I could trade girl clothes for boy clothes. I'm all for sharing when we are done having kids, but clothes are expensive! I don't want to buy twice.
  • Options
    We are keeping everything for future babes. Luckily our basement is big clean and dry because it is filling up with totes and equipment!

• Options
    We've kept EVERYTHING. We plan on having another one in 1.5years but I also can't part with those sweet little newborn clothes.
  • Options

I'm ditching everything I didn't use this time around (like the tiny newborn clothes...my kid was 9 lbs so we went straight to 3 mo! my next will probably be big too). I'm tossing anything that might degrade over time since I won't try for #2 for at least 3 years, so nipples for bottles (although the bottle and brushes can stay), pacifiers, teethers, etc are getting kicked to the curb.

DH and I's best friends just had a little boy, and had a little girl a year ago, so that has been awesome. she lent me her maternity clothes after she had 1st lo, then I lent her mine, now I've lent her all of lo's stuff that is 12 mo or smaller. she also gets any open packages of extra diapers as he outgrows them. I would donate the diapers if she wasn't around; definitely wouldn't keep them.

I'm trying to save as much of the other stuff as possible. our house is tiny but my mom and mil have huge houses that are totally empty nests right now (they both have designated old rooms as my lo's 'room') so that helps with storage. we will for sure keep the swings, furniture, and clothing. DH will stick the swings up in the loft in the shed when lo is done with them, and I'll put the cloth bedding from them in with clothing storage.

• Options
    I have 3 boxes currently in her room of "outgrown" clothes. 0-3, 3, 3-6. That being said I want to purge all of it & pick 1-2 items that I LOVE from each age group & toss the rest. I'm in a "get this shit out of my house" mood.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

bsouls  good to know! I didn't see any instructions with ours.

I'll pitch the ones we use then, and just keep those still in the packaging.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"