January 2014 Moms

Does your LO use a sound machine?

holly142holly142 member
edited October 2014 in January 2014 Moms
We are still using a sound machine and I am wondering when I should stop. I read that once your LO is a champion sleeper to stop using it. However, DD is not a champion sleeper yet. I am curious as to when others stopped using it.

Does your LO use a sound machine? 82 votes

Never/hardly used a sound machine
17% 14 votes
Stopped when LO was 2-3 months old
0% 0 votes
Stopped when LO was 4-5 months old
2% 2 votes
Stopped when LO was 6-7 months old
0% 0 votes
Stopped when LO was 8-9 months old
1% 1 vote
Still using the sound machine!
74% 61 votes
SS
4% 4 votes

Re: Does your LO use a sound machine?

• I don't see us stopping use of her sound machine. Like, ever. DH and I use one in our room. I guess my theory is that if we still use one, why would we make DD suffer through all the street/dog/weather noise? And most importantly: DD doesn't sleep= I don't sleep.
  • @mamatoosh @itsmeally - I can't remember which sleep training book talked about stopping using a sound machine, it was either "The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight" or "The Sleepeasy Solution".  There was just a small section talking about how to stop.  The book said keep using it if you live in a noisy area.  However, I don't.  Also, my husband and I don't sleep with noise, except a fan on hot nights.  It would be nice if we didn't need to take the machine with us on vacation for the holidays.  However, I agree with @babybuns2 - if DD doesn't sleep = I don't sleep.  So, I think we continue to use it.  Most of my friends with babies DD's age don't still use sleep machines, so I was beginning to think I was the only one still using it.  I am glad to know that I am not alone! 
  • Loading the player...
  • We still use it but I think I like hearing it so I know the monitor is on more than DD needs it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She's always slept with a fan on in her room to drown out the sounds from the rest of the house.
  • Still using it and don't see why we would stop. We used the same noise machine on DS up till he was about 2, when he started messing with it after transitioning to a toddler bed. Our noise machine stops after 25 minutes. So it's more of a signal to the baby it's time to go to bed. So far it's working so we won't stop until DD transitions to toddler bed.
  • We still use it! It drowns out the excess noise around the house.

Married July 14, 2012

Hudson - January 7, 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I have switched from a machine to an actual fan.

I do not plan to stop, however... I had a boyfriend in high school / college that always used a box fan to sleep, because that's how he had grown up. At the time I thought it was kinda odd, but now it makes sense. Just wanted to pitch that in to this convo, ha.
  • Bbg usually uses some kind of white noise. It's either DH's snoring, a fan or a tv. But sometimes I'd use her white noise machine for naps when landscaping was mowing everybody's lawns.
  • My 3 yr old still uses one as well. I don't care. It's white noise bc his room is closest to the street. When we are out, he's fine without one.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • chicki1012chicki1012 member
    edited November 2014
    I'm such a light sleeper and ever since I met DH he always used a box fan for sleeping. So I have slept with a fan for 10 years plus, it helps me sleep. DS has had a noise machine since he was a newborn and I plan to keep using it. He sleeps so well with it.
    Edit. Hit post before done
  • Still using it and my almost 3 year old has one too.
  • @tarajeannette‌ do you not? I don't know how we would've survived without ours!
    Follow up question do you moms leave the noise on all night or shut it off after lo is asleep?
  • We leave ours on all night.  Originally we used a sleep sheep.  However, DD was a terrible sleeper, so when we started the Sleep Shuffle at 6 months, we bought a sound machine that stays on all night.  That way when she wakes between sleep cycles the conditions are the same as when she fell asleep, sound on and in her crib. 

• We don't use a sound machine, but we do use a fan as a sound machine, haha.  Both for Vivienne and Quinn.  Our house is small and one level.  I need something to block out noise.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• We use one for DD and it's on all night. It has different sounds (ocean, rain, running water) and we rotate through the sounds so she doesn't get used to one specific sound. Well at least that's the intention, don't know if it makes a difference. I plan to keep using it as it helps block out noise in the rest of the house.

When she was a newborn we used an app on our phones at other times of the day as part of the Happiest Baby on the Block 5 S's and it worked great. When she started daycare they downloaded the same app and used it occasionally when she needed some help calming down.
  • I put SS. We used a white noise machine for a bit but it had a timer, and at maybe about 3 months old (can't remember) DD started waking up when it turned off, so we quit using it. Now we don't use a sound machine most of the time, but when we're not home and in a strange/noisier environment I put lullabies on the iPad to drown out the noise
  • We still use it, but it shuts off after 45 minutes. Cab also be set for 23 minutes I think. We stopped putting it back on for her middle of the night feeding though. We also have the iPod on a nature sound on repeat all night, but I don't think she really needs either since there was a couple times I forgot to turn on and she still slept her normal sleep time.
    I married the man of my dreams June 2, 2007!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"