March 2014 Moms
Options

Diaper rash cream

im not sure if im doing this right. My lo seems to always get a diaper rash unless i put a looot of desitin. How much is too much? How much are you supposed to use? Will it have long term side effects if i use a lot?

Re: Diaper rash cream

• Options
    I stopped using desitin and started using regular corn starch with every diaper change. It's been working much better for us :)
  • Options
    Stop using diaper wipes to help eliminate diaper rash, you can rinse lo's bottom off or you could use a home made wipe of some sort

Also Instead of actually wiping try dabbing so you're not wiping the cream off each time.

Maybe getting a rash from the diaper brand? From the wipes or something else.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pisces35 said:

im not sure if im doing this right. My lo seems to always get a diaper rash unless i put a looot of desitin. How much is too much? How much are you supposed to use? Will it have long term side effects if i use a lot?

Desitin will not harm baby.
    You can use as much as you like, but as pp's have said, try to not wipe it all off. Let bum dry completely before new diaper. Dab-don't wipe (if there's already irritation, the wiping could make it worse). Try something else - Vaseline, aquaphor, 'nothing'.

My DD was fine with Vaseline most of the time, Desitin only when really bad rash. (Other creams did nothing)
    DS1 uses Aveeno bum cream at bedtime, nothing during the day, and Zincofax if he gets a rash.
    LO uses nothing during the day, and Vaseline at night.
    Definitely check diet. If you're BFing-check yours too.

Side effects should be a soft, non-sunburned bum. ;)
  • Options
    Stop using Desitin and definitely give Coconut Oil a try! It is natural, safe and works awesome. When I change my son I also take a dry cloth and dab his bottom off after using wet wipes so his bottom stays dry then I put on Coconut oil and Baby powder to combat the rash. Works awesome on disposables and cloth diapers:-) good luck!
  • Options
    Also I make my own wet wipes and have saved TONS of $$$ doing that and I notice my son usually gets diaper rash only when his grandma watches him and uses store bought wipes on him. We buy Bounty Paper towel rolls for wet wipes. Then I cut them in half with a knife, then mix up 1 c warm water with 2 Tablespoons Baby wash and 1 Tablespoon Baby Oil or Coconut Oil in a container that will fit the half bounty roll (with a lid to keep moist). Then I put the roll in the container, shut the lid and wait a few min and then take out the center roll. Then I pull the wipes from the center and ta da! It's really easy and we don't have issues with rashes anymore:-) no harsh chemicals on his butt either!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"