Military Families

Fertility assistance and Tri-Care Standard

Hi all! DH is full-time ANG. We are fairly new to TTC. Giving we are not spring chickens anymore, we are already looking ahead to what our next step can be if need be. Any idea if Tri-Care Standard covers fertility assistance measures? He sees an on-base doctor for his medical needs; will they perform tests for him (such as sperm analysis)? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Fertility assistance and Tri-Care Standard

• Thanks @Hawkward‌! This gives me a jumping-off point.
  • Chlomid and progesterone suppositories/shots are covered.  When we lived overseas, fertility blood tests were covered.  If I remember right, everything that can be done to support fertilization inside the body is covered.  In-vitro or fertilization outside the body is not covered.  I hope that makes sense.     

• Loading the player...
  • I think you will be pleased with how much Tricare covers.  We've paid next to nothing for all of my diagnostics (ultrasounds, HSG, etc) and prescriptions, including Clomid and gonadotropin/hcg trigger shot injections.  The injections come directly from ExpressScripts and normally cost upward of $2500.  We paid $13 for a 3 month supply.  Although our journey has been long and uphill, Tricare has been a lifesaver.  We wouldn't be able to afford to treat my infertility otherwise.  Best of luck to you!
  • I can only speak for Prime but everything is covered if you have sex to get pregnant.  For example, medications including injectibles are covered if you still have sex to conceive but it you need an IUI or IVF then the medications won't be covered anymore.  We did IUI's and IVF's at the Military Treatment Facility in order to get the med's and ultrasounds covered but if we went to a civilian doctor I don't think they would have been covered.  Travel costs to the MTF's were on our dime, though we did get to stay at the Fisher House so that helped with the cost.
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"