September 2014 Moms

Acid Reflux??

LO has had stomach issues from the beginning..very gassy..very uncomfortable after he eats. LC advised maybe cutting out milk from my diet since I EBF so I did for a week but it didn't seem to make a big enough difference. Cut to tonight when I was giving him gripe water( doesn't help much either) when he vomited what looked like a weeks worth of milk. It.just.kept.coming.
This happened maybe 2-3 times before but this was by far the worst. So I'm wondering if any of you ladies have had experience with acid reflux babies and if this sounds like it could be the problem. I will add LO is a very big boy and has been gaining weight like crazy. I'm just curious if this sounds familiar to anyone.

Re: Acid Reflux??

• My DD spit up constantly and always spit up half of what she ate. She did not have reflux, I had her on several different formulas and some were for reflux, sat her up for 30 min after eating, put a wedge under her mattress, she had Zantac, she was even tested for it and she didn't have it. Turns out the flap at the top of her stomach wasn't completely developed which is what caused the spitting up. It got really gross after starting solids. She didn't stop spitting up until she was about 10 months old.
  • My LO has reflux, she spits up right after she eats. Every. Time. And then she just keeps spitting up. I keep her sitting up at an incline, even let her sleep in her RnP. But she spits up a bit about every 30mins. The further out from a feed it starts to look like spoiled milk, and lastly just water. (She never gets water, only formula.) She gets hiccups a lot after spitting up. She screams a lot after she eats, like she's hurting. She tries to scratch her face and me, anything. Sometimes I can even feel or hear her little tummy gurgling.
    We're trying Gerber Soothe drops right now, it does seem like she rests better. If the spitting up doesn't stop the pedi said he will prescribe Zantac.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would talk with your pediatrician. It's hard to tell what could be causing it. My daughter spits up constantly but is a happy sputter so it's more of a laundry issue. I also read that it takes up to two weeks for dairy to completely leave your system so I would keep at that to see if that could be a factor in the madness.
  • str13 said:

My LO has reflux, she spits up right after she eats. Every. Time. And then she just keeps spitting up. I keep her sitting up at an incline, even let her sleep in her RnP. But she spits up a bit about every 30mins. The further out from a feed it starts to look like spoiled milk, and lastly just water. (She never gets water, only formula.) She gets hiccups a lot after spitting up. She screams a lot after she eats, like she's hurting. She tries to scratch her face and me, anything. Sometimes I can even feel or hear her little tummy gurgling.
    We're trying Gerber Soothe drops right now, it does seem like she rests better. If the spitting up doesn't stop the pedi said he will prescribe Zantac.

My DS has this. He's been very grunting since day 1. Horrible gas but never really spit up. Over the past almost 3 weeks it's been getting worse. He would scream after bottles and be in so much pain. I would cry with him. And started spitting up so much more. He seemed a little relieved after spitting up too. Finally at his 2 mo check up I told Pedi about it and we are trying Zantac. He hated the taste lol. And I think he spits it out more than he gets it right now :(. I would definitely talk to pedi about reflux cause it's not fun.
  • @JanisBaby14‌ you can mix the Zantac in his bottle, it hides the taste.
  • Thanks everyone. LO Definately eats constantly and my LC Did mention my oversupply and forceful letdown as a cause for his pulling back on the nipple when he eats. He doesn't spit up that often though just the extreme vomiting on a few occasions. The only thing that really worries me is his constantly state of being uncomfortable. He usually passed out when he eats then 5 minutes later he's squirming and crying. His poops are normal and he is gaining weight like crazy so I'm at a loss. I really don't think it's a milk allergy since my research said it's pretty rare and my LC said it takes 5-7 days to get out of your system. So I'm just struggling to figuring out what's the problem with my little guy..hate to see him so miserable:( I'm almost at the point of trying formula to see if he like it better.
  • I'd just talk with your pedi, whichever one it is, it's not fun!! :( your pedi will know the questions to ask that shed a little more light on possible causes. Not letting you lay him down sounds a lot like my LO! The pedi asked me if she ever arched her back when she was laying down and I sat there thinking a minute, I really couldn't lay her down!! She screams so hard and likes to squeeze my thumb, so until then I couldn't let her lay anywhere for long!
  • He is most comfortable in his rock and play so is rarely laying flat other that on his play may for short periods of time. What did your pedi say about arching their back???
  • @ashaw512 thanks ... Why I haven't thought of this yet since I mix his gas drops in his feedings ...
  • @JanisBaby14‌ Ask the pharmacist to add flavoring. Both my Ds1 and now DS2 have reflux. Zantac saved us with both. They both hated the taste. I happened to mention it to pharmacist in conversation and she said just add flavor.....changed everything! They both take it easily. You should only add it to bottle if you are sure LO will drain the bottle. Otherwise you don't get full dose. My LO is inconsistent so we don't add it.

@meganmccr‌ Could be reflux. DS1 had it and was like this. we ended up on special formula and Zantac and saw improvement. HOw old is your son? Spitting gets worse between 5 and 8 weeks and then usually settles. However in combination with discomfort and the projectile vomits you describe you may want to ask pedi to rule out pyloric stenosis. This is commonly diagnosed between 6 and 8 weeks. My DS2 just had surgery for this two weeks ago at just about 7 weeks. He was gaining which was deceiving (usually you don't gain) but GI doc ordered sonogram just to be sure. We were surprised to see he had it bc if the gaining. We caught it early thankfully. Just a thought to keep in mind if projectiles of undigested milk continue.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @meganmccr He said that it was just a sign of her discomfort, he's thinking reflux or milk protein intolerance. If your LO is doing that I'd mention to the pedi just so they know that your LO is hurting. My pedi explained it to me that it showed that she wasn't just upset because she was wanting to be held, but upset because she was in pain and something was wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"