2nd Trimester
Options

glucose sugar test came back high

I went to my appointment yesterday and had to do my sugar test. It came back 144, I'm assuming is high, and they told me I'm going to have to schedule another appointment for the 3 hour glucose sugar test. I am terrified that this means I have pregnancy diabetes and what it could mean for my son! They said just because I have to go for the 3 hour test does not necessarily mean that I have diabetes. I'm curious to know if any other moms out there have went through this or is currently dealing with this?? I'd really like some information or anything at this point because my appointment isn't until Monday.

Re: glucose sugar test came back high

• Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my first son 8 years ago and currently have it again with my pregnancy. It is nothing to be scared of as long as you follow along with your doctor and check your blood sugar. I am lucky that I am able to control my blood sugar by diet alone. I just cut out almost all refined sugar and watch my carb content and walk daily. The plus size to this is I have hardly gained any weight.  If you cannot control your blood sugar this way, they will give you insulin.

If you have diabetes, the doctor will see you more often and likely refer you to a nurtritionist for a diet plan. You will have to check your blood sugar several times a day, but it is really not that bad. Once the placenta is delivered, most people no longer have high blood sugars, but you do have a greater chance of having diabetes later in life.

My son was fine when I had this, and he did not get too big. He wieghed under 8 pounds and had no complications.

Good luck!!

• Options
    Good luck on your 3 hour~
    J+J 05.12  .  N 04.15  .   No.2 due 06.17
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! This really helped! I think I'm just having the first time mom jitters ;) I will update Monday!
  • Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my first son 8 years ago and currently have it again with my pregnancy. It is nothing to be scared of as long as you follow along with your doctor and check your blood sugar. I am lucky that I am able to control my blood sugar by diet alone. I just cut out almost all refined sugar and watch my carb content and walk daily. The plus size to this is I have hardly gained any weight.  If you cannot control your blood sugar this way, they will give you insulin.

If you have diabetes, the doctor will see you more often and likely refer you to a nurtritionist for a diet plan. You will have to check your blood sugar several times a day, but it is really not that bad. Once the placenta is delivered, most people no longer have high blood sugars, but you do have a greater chance of having diabetes later in life.

My son was fine when I had this, and he did not get too big. He wieghed under 8 pounds and had no complications.

Good luck!!

I had GD with my son and this is how it was for me.  I didn't particularly enjoy having to restrict my diet, but DS turned out fine and other than that I had a very uneventful pregnancy.  If you can manage your glucose levels it's not something that should cause you much anxiety.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I bombed the 1 hr and passed the 3 with no issues
  • Options
    (Lurking from 1st tri) With my first pregnancy, I failed the first one and passed the 3 hour. My OB told me that the one hour is slightly ridiculous with how many false positives it gives. Don't remember the exact number but I think he said something like 70% of the 3 hour tests for his practice come back negative. Honestly, they just want to make sure they don't miss anybody. GD is serious and needs to be caught so it can be managed.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took my 3 hour test and after being stuck 3 too many times, I passed! Thanks for the info and encouraging words!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"