Infertility

Metformin and alcohol?

I am taking metformin and am on the fourth week which means I am now taking 2000 mg a day. We're going out tomorrow night with another couple and I'm wondering if I can drink? Part of me doesn't even want to risk it because I am fine UNLESS I eat certain foods and would hate to find out alcohol causes any issues. But thought I'd see if there were any other experiences. Thanks!

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image

Re: Metformin and alcohol?

• I have no answers, but I would call your office and ask them. I don't like to risk it. Good luck!
  • jencity9 My old RE told me to be extremely cautious when taking met and drinking.  (She actually got kind of dramatic.) I never drink, and told her that (allergy to alcohol), but she still insisted on explaining that drinking on met is not recommended.  She said one drink would probably be ok, but she would not recommend more than that. I have no first hand experience though, just reporting what my old RE told me.  I'd be curious to hear the experiences of others.  
  • Loading the player...
  • *lurking from 3T*

Metformin and alcohol together can result in lactic acidosis which can be fatal.  The risk is much higher if you have pre-existing liver/kidney/heart problems.  If you are an otherwise healthy person, 1-2 drinks on occasion should not harm you but make sure to have a conversation with your doctor about this.  From my understanding, it's not super common but it happens enough that it needs to be taken very seriously.  

• Thanks for the info! I ultimately chose not to drink and will mention it the next time I see the RE.

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • Well you already decided you weren't going to do it, but I just wanted to add that I have drank on it many times while I wasn't doing fertility treatments and I never had any problems. Nobody ever told me I couldn't drink on it,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"