3rd Trimester
Options

40+2, no contractions, midwife won't be at birth

I don't post much here but needed an outlet. I'm super disappointed. :(

I've known this whole pregnancy (this is my second) that my midwife (a superstar, called a "baby whisperer" by many) had a planned overseas trip at the end of October... but it barely registered because my DS arrived 5 days early and I (stupidly) assumed Baby #2 would be an early arrival too. (My due date was Mon, 10/27).

I'm 4+ CM dilated, MW calls my cervix "oatmeal-like," "stretchy," "ready," but baby is hanging out, super comfortable in there, not giving many indications that he/she is ready to come out. I lost my mucus plug last week, but no bloody show. I've been doing spicy food, pineapple, sex... and I had a chiropractic adjustment yesterday where the chiro did every trick in her bag to help get labor going... nothing has worked.

MW gave me the option of breaking my membranes today to get labor started...so she could deliver me on her last day before vacation. I said no because I would like everything to happen naturally, but I am really bummed that she won't be at the birth. She has a backup midwife and OB's but I've never met any of them so who knows who will be at the hospital. :(

At this point it feels like baby is never going to come. My mom flew halfway across the country 5 days ago to help with the baby and I feel terrible that she's still waiting around. My mom and sisters are sort of "pro" intervention and I'm not sure they understand why I don't want to go down that path. I'm also getting calls and texts every day from my sisters asking if I have news. It's all just making me stressed and emotional.

I don't know if I have a question at all... maybe just wondering if others have felt like this, and what helped?

Re: 40+2, no contractions, midwife won't be at birth

• Options

How disappointing that the timing hasn't worked out for you -- I can understand why that is upsetting.  Wow, a "Baby Whisperer"  -- sounds fantastic.   Of course people have vacations and personal commitments so nothing is ever certain, and babies come when they want!

We have the same issue with family being overseas and they decided to come out almost a month after baby's due date.  It makes me sad to think they'll miss out on baby's first days & weeks of life, and I always pictured in-laws coming to visit us in the hospital when baby is born, so it's sad that's not the case.  We plan to FaceTime a lot during labor (PG version -- in between contractions!!), and make the most of what we have, and look forward to when they do visit.  So there are benefits to arriving early and "waiting around" like your mom is, and missing out on early days but coming when baby is certain.  (No perfect solution here!)

Back in the 80s, my mom was 27 days late to deliver her baby and she said every time someone said, "You didn't have the baby YET?!" she'd break down into tears.  She got so sick of everyone's comments.  If you feel it's right to await baby's arrival based on his/her timing then be confident in your decision and don't even think twice about feeling guilty.   It's not worth it to be energy and stress into the arrival of a baby -- I don't think it's something we're supposed to "control" unless there's a very good medical reason.

• Options
    I know it is disappointing when you don't get the provider you really want.  Just try to keep busy and take in the support you do have.  Do what is best for your baby and body which is of course waiting it out.  It sounds like you will go super fast when it does start!!  Don't worry about your mom or others and their schedules, do what is best for you!!  Hang in there it is almost over!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow!  Congrats on your daughter! 
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• Options
    Congratulations!
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've felt like this. DS stayed put until 41w2d. What helps?

Time
    Walking
    Sex

I promise, one way or the other the baby will come. I had my membranes swept at 41 weeks. However, I don't know that I would recommend or make the same choice again. It was quite uncomfortable.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Derp, I should read the whole thread! Congrats!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"