Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Bitting while nursing

My 11 month old just got her first tooth and bit me (hard) for the first time today. I let out a loud yelp and tried to control it so I wouldn't scare the baby. After that, she wouldn't nurse again. I tried later in the day and still nothing. Did I scare her away? For the first time I gave her a bottle before bed. I'm sad and hope I didn't ruin her nursing. Has this happened to anyone? Did they return to nursing? 

Re: Bitting while nursing

• She could be scared after being startled. Just keep offering, but don't force it. Try to offer in a relaxed setting (rocking in a quiet room) and try to relax yourself (I know I was so tense for fear of being bit again). You didn't ruin her nursing. 

Try at times where she is most likely to nurse (when she's sleepy, when just waking, right before bed). You'll probably have success during these times and then the rest will fall back into place. 

It's SO hard not to jump and react because it hurts. We went through this and it took a few days to get back to normal. Just make sure you pump in the meantime (when she would be nursing if she's refusing) so that your supply doesn't drop. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"