May 2015 Moms
Options

WTF Congestion! Will I EVER sleep again?!

I've been awake ALL night. I think I slept from 12:30-2:00am and have been up ever since! I normally breath thru my nose at night and now my mouth has to hang open, completely dry, breathing in cold air all night, lips chapped, and just plain miserable! For whatever reason sometimes I can breath in but not out at all. Because my mouths dry, im drinking extra water which is also sending me to the restroom like a maniac. Sorry I'm complaining, but WTF Congestion?! W...T...F.

Re: WTF Congestion! Will I EVER sleep again?!

• Options
    Anyone else experience this hell and have advice? Or maybe need a WTF moment of your own?
  • Options
    I washed my bed pillows yesterday and OMG... what a difference this morning!  

This is a bad time of the year for my allergies because all the windows are closed and the dust in the house settles, so yesterday I gave my house a good cleaning, along with my pillows.  I am telling you, I felt so much better this morning.  

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I clicked on this thread because my 3-year-old DD was up crying from being congested last night.  Because she won't.  Blow.  Her.  Nose.  

So not quite the same thing, but I'm with you giving a big ol' middle finger to congestion.  Sympathy your way!!  Maybe try a humidifier?  It (supposedly) works for kids, so why not grown-ups?  I can't remember if it's safe for pregnancy, but when I was having real issues with congestion during allergy season I took sudafed before bed and it made a huge difference.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, super congested at night and sneezy in the morning. I use my netti pot in the morning and will give my pillows a thorough washing. In the meantime all I can say is that our bodies are producing extra mucus...everywhere. Just know that you're not alone!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry I don't have any tips to help you out, I am dealing with the same problem and just wanted to comment I'm glad I'm not alone - my hubby says congestion is not a pregnancy symptom and I'm making it up. I told him he should be preg for a week and see how he likes it. I hope you get relief soon!!!
  • Options
    I am at the doctors now because I now have a sinus infection and earache. I have been sick for the past week and last night it just came to a head. I didn't get any sleep at all because my throat was so sore and I couldn't breath through my nose. The doctor just told me to take sudafed and get a saline spray.
  • Options
    Yes, my congestion is awful,  My nose stuffs up every. single. night.  My coworker says it's a pregnancy thing, I'm not sure.  I might try the purifier stick PP mentioned.
  • Options
    I have this too. Last week was the worst because it was combined with actual allergies. The skin on my nose is still recovering.

Sometimes it helps with the inflamation to prop my head up a little when I sleep. Not enough to be uncomfortable, just enough so that my head isn't flat.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you all soooo much! I will wash my stuff today and see about the humidifier. I'm trying very hard not to take any kind of medication through this pregnancy but im at my wits end! I'll look into everything :) And YES congestion is a pregnancy symptom! High levels of the pregnancy hormones estrogen and progesterone increase blood flow to all of your body's mucous membranes – including the nose – plus your allergies may be kicking in. The result? Your nose probably already knows: the mucous membranes swell and soften, leading to a stuffy nose. What’s more, the constant blowing produces the occasional nosebleed. You may also develop postnasal drip, which in turn can occasionally cause coughing or gagging at night (as if you didn't have enough other things keeping you up).
  • Options
    Occasional nosebleeds...Ugh.

Last week I was dry heaving into the toilet (because the postnasal drip was making me gag) when my nose started dripping blood. I knew what it was, but it was pretty alarming at first sight.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was having the same problem, my on recommended and OTC allergy pill at night, and a humidifier in my room. Plus I still do the netti pot. It's not all a 100% solution, but I do rest at about a B grade level now so I'll take it.
    May '15 Bitter Snatch
  • Options
    Rosie112799Rosie112799 member
    edited November 2014
    Same here.. congestion is worse at night for me. Before i was pregnant i had extremely bad allergies, the dr said i had allergic rhinitis. I was on prescibed allergy medication and a nasal spray flonase. And once we found out i was pregnant, the dr said to stop using both. So it has been horrible at night. I tried the neti pot. I sounded like mickey mouse after.. Congestion lasted for 2 days and i couldn't breathe out of either nostril. I was thinking of using vicks and putting right under my nose? Is that safe for baby and has anyone tried that?
  • Options
    T1green said:
    I've been congested a lot lately.  I've been using the Neti Pot nightly and it has really helped me.  It's a little weird at first but you get used to it and it's really not that bad.
    Yup, NetiPot is saving my life.  I have exactly the same issues and it is the only thing (and saline spray) that give a bit of relief.

DD #1: March 20, 2013
    DD # 2: May 2, 2015
    EDD #3: March 4, 2018

• Options
    I have this too :-/ thanks for sharing
  • Options
    It might be in my head but my first pregnancy symptom had to be me blowing my nose constantly. Never had that problem before. I was taking Tylenol cold but it only goes so far and I keep my room cool.
  • Options
    This congestion started yesterday and today has been awful! I remember when a coworker was pregnant and she complained about congestion her whole pregnancy. I hope I don't start getting nose bleeds since I'm prone to them. I usually get one bad nose bleed few days before my period.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me (34) PCOS

DH (36) Poor morphology and motility

TTC since 2011

2013 cycles 1, 2, and 3 on Clomid, all BFN

2013 cycles 4, and 5 IUI with Clomid, both BFN

DH and I took a break for several months

7/15/2014 started Acupuncture 

7/26/2014 start Follistim for IVF cycle, ER on 8/8, develop OHSS, ET almost cancelled

8/13/2014 ET proceeds on our wedding anniversary, transfer 2 5DB, 8/23 BFP

EDD 5/1/2015

• Options
    MyBell524 said:

Thank you all soooo much! I will wash my stuff today and see about the humidifier. I'm trying very hard not to take any kind of medication through this pregnancy but im at my wits end! I'll look into everything :) And YES congestion is a pregnancy symptom! High levels of the pregnancy hormones estrogen and progesterone increase blood flow to all of your body's mucous membranes – including the nose – plus your allergies may be kicking in. The result? Your nose probably already knows: the mucous membranes swell and soften, leading to a stuffy nose. What’s more, the constant blowing produces the occasional nosebleed. You may also develop postnasal drip, which in turn can occasionally cause coughing or gagging at night (as if you didn't have enough other things keeping you up).

Ugh postnasal drip...the death of me the past week! I have been sleeping terribly because of the worst cough! Best part- my doc says "no infection...can't give you anything" so I am suffering and waiting it out. I am a teacher so it's a challenge trying to teach without going into coughing fits. I can't wait for this to pass!

Big fan of the humidifier though! We just got one and I had the best sleep I've had in a month.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Same here.. congestion is worse at night for me. Before i was pregnant i had extremely bad allergies, the dr said i had allergic rhinitis. I was on prescibed allergy medication and a nasal spray flonase. And once we found out i was pregnant, the dr said to stop using both. So it has been horrible at night. I tried the neti pot. I sounded like mickey mouse after.. Congestion lasted for 2 days and i couldn't breathe out of either nostril. I was thinking of using vicks and putting right under my nose? Is that safe for baby and has anyone tried that?

I have been using "baby Vicks" on my chest and throat. Regular Vicks probably isn't unsafe but you can't go wrong with the version for babies. It probably isn't as strong smelling but it has worked for me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congestion was my very first pregnancy symptom and it never went away. I sleep sitting up so I'm not mouth breathing all night long. :-/ I'm definitely getting a humidifier after reading this. Here's to a less congested pregnancy, ladies.
  • Options
    Thank you @jraeohyeaaa. I will try that
  • Options
    I've had stuffy nose for weeks. My trick is nasal strips. Helps so much and I've been wearing them every night.
  • Options
    I got some congestion from being sick & I used vicks vapo rub on my chest & safety pinned a small towel over it so it didn't get all over my sleep shirt & bed. I also purchased a hot, steam air humidifier with vicks in it. I had a cool air humidifier but it wasn't working. Hope that helps!

• Options
    An all natural Vicks if you want to really get into it is Vaseline and eucalyptus oil. I like it.
    May '15 Bitter Snatch
  • Options
    Tonights another bad night :( gonna try sudafed and buy a humidifier tomorrow.
  • Options
    Yeah trust me i know. Every night.
  • Options
    Got my humidifier fired up! And sudafed as well.. Hubby said he'd buy me some vix tomorrow. Excited for a better nights sleep! Fingers crossed! Praying the hormones calm down a bit over the next cpl weeks. The congestion lasts ALL day now. Blah!
  • Options
    Nothing is working!! Up again since 4am. Neti Pot may be my last hope. Feeling so helpless and frustrated :(
  • Options
    Humidifier worked wonders for me!  It made a huge difference after the first night. We actually got a cute cheap one on Amazon that is an elephant and plan to move it to the nursery once the little one arrives.  I also have a eucalyptus rub I use in my shower every morning which clears up the little amount I have left even with humidifier.  

Also, for those who feel like they're drinking a TON of water but still dehydrated, I was with you just a week ago!  I now eat a spoonful of honey a day, which helps your body absorb water.  My doctor also said that eating an orange will help, as long as when you peel it you leave a lot of the white stuff on the fruit to eat.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"