October 2014 Moms

Reflux

DD was diagnosed yesterday. We've been advised to do probiotics daily, gripe water as needed and for me to cut out all dairy.

She's been having a pretty rough time with it. Any veteran reflux moms have any other things to try or do that seems to make the babies feel better? Or anyone want to just commensurate with me?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reflux

• I'm so sorry you're going through this! ((Hugs))

It can help a lot to keep baby upright for about 20 minutes after each feeding. Also, making her sleep surface slightly inclined and limiting her being in places that make her sit curled up, like her car seat, can help too. Good luck!
    imageimage
  • DS was diagnosed with this earlier this week. His was pretty severe though so he was started on Zantac. I also give him gripe water which does seem to help but doesn't alleviate all of his symptoms. The Zantac is starting to help a bit though. Today was the first day he's actually been his normal happy self and not crying when he's awake. The doctor told me to keep him elevated for at least 30 minutes after a meal, avoid car seat like positions as much as possible, and to avoid elastic waist bands and tight diapers. So far it seems to be helping. Hope that helps!
    O14 January Signature Challenge- Snow Fails

• Loading the player...
  • One of my twins is now on Zantac. We do gas drops, gripe water, and probiotics too. We are only on day two of Zantac but it seems to be helping..
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
  • savagek7 said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but when you say "upright" or "elevated" for 20-30 mins after a feeding, does that mean straight up and down, like burping position? Or can it be in your arms at like a 45 degree angle?

I'd aim for a bit straighter than 45 degrees. Generally, it's easiest to keep them upright on your shoulder or on your chest. Even in a carrier.
    imageimage
  • I've been keeping DS in his Moby if he's sleeping after feeding or just holding him up on my lap and interacting with him if he's awake. 

• Maggie6424Maggie6424 member
    edited October 2014
    DS1 had it really bad. Zantac was our saving grace, and similac sensitive.
    ETA: Keeping baby sleeping as upright as possible helps too. He slept in his bouncer or the swing for a month at least.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ROCK AND PLAY! Saved us ! My baby born premature in July has moderate reflux and was in nicu for two months, prior to leaving they suggested buying a wedge at baby's r us that goes under the crib mattress bought that but she won't sleep in it. So did a lot of research and joined a reflux mommy board they all suggested a rock and play for them to sleep in it's at an angle and looks like one of those co sleeper beds I highly recommed it. There about $50

My daughters on Zantac and a lot of reflux babies have a milk intolerance so because I couldn't bf she on Nutramegin formula helps reflux and fussiness.

Is your baby fussy? Hang in there hugs!

• DS has been really fussy, gassy and also was diagnosed with reflux. Basically if he was awake he was crying. Took him to the chiropractor today and he's like a new baby. Smiling and happy the rest of the day. He has not been that awake and content since birth. Hoping this continues!
  • I was wondering … babies who have been diagnosed with reflux … What are the symptoms? Does baby cry AFTER the feed too? Or just during. DS is SUPER DUPER fussy during feeds. He fights with himself to take the bottle and then spit the nipple out. It's like he wants it but he doesn't. He cries, arches his back during feeds and needs LOTS of breaks. He eventually eats it and is gaining weight. It makes feeds last about 1.25 hours. But because he is fine after the feeding, pedi doesn't necessarily think its an indigestion problem, he thinks he may just be a fussy baby. Nevertheless he takes Zantac but I don't think its helping. He said if that doesn't work, try a gerber gentle start but idk. 

Just wondering what all your reflux babies do when they eat I guess. 

image image image

• DS symptoms are a little different in that he doesn't actually spit up like most babies with reflux do. I think he's only spit up a handful of times since he was born. His symptoms typically happen after feeding. During feeding he is pretty content except with the occasional gag/choke that he does when it starts to come up. After feeding he starts to get really fussy and arching his back. He usually gets the hiccups and you can hear it coming up a lot of the times and then he starts to cry. The cry is definitely different than his normal hungry or wet cry. It's more of like a shriek or scream as if he's in pain. He also will stick his tongue out a lot after eating like he has a bad taste in his mouth and there are always some foam bubble around his lips. He's been on Zantac for 3 days now and there has been a mild improvement. Our pediatrician did say though that it takes about 2 weeks to really take effect. 

• Thank you so much girls. It at least makes me feel better that I'm not alone. And all the info def helps a ton.

Baby is def fussy. Esp during feeds. I am starting to get anxiety before she eats these days. There is nothing calm and comforting about BFing her. She screams and cries while BFing. Like said above its a different cry. She grunts and groans. Arms are frailing and scratching my boob or digging at her face. Legs are kicking or being pulled up. Pulls off but still is looking to eat. Then will take 3 pulls and screams again. It's a vicious cycle that lasts the entire feed. Sometimes it's so bad she refuses to eat - which worries me about my supply. I have lots of BFing issues with the reflux. She spits up regularly after a feed. She threw up a ton on Monday and again this AM. So I've changed the sheets on the bed 2x already this week.

Then because she is all worked up going back to sleep at night takes forever. We realized in the hospital she hated to be flat. And I'm sure she's in a big deal of pain too. She has the hiccups all the time. And coughs a bit throughout the day.

It just all around sucks so bad. I hate to see her this way. So upsetting, stressful and stressful. DS is 17 months and was never like this. Plus dealing with him so busy and her issues are really starting to wear on me and my confidence as a mother.

I think I am going to see how things go with the gerber soothe drops, gripe water and dairy for a week maybe even two if I can handle it. If I don't see any improvements I'm def going to ask for the Zantac. She deserves to be more comfortable.

Dr also said months 2-3 are the worst and were not even there yet. So worried what the next month brings.

• Based on how you're describing it it does sound like reflux to me too. I don't know if you're pumping at all but I found pumping and giving him a bottle (or DH feeding him) has reduced a lot of my anxiety at feeds. That way I know I'm keeping my supply up even if he is refusing a feed and I can monitor how much and how quickly he's getting at each feed which is helping him. 

• We just started on Zantac yesterday. Ds3 has silent reflux. We see him coughing on and swallowing after eating. He will not sleep flat and has been super fussy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @swise22‌ I'm not pumping as the LC said I have a good amount of milk - which further complicates reflux things - so she said not to start pumping til at least 6 weeks or so to let my supply regulate to meet baby's needs and not make it worse.

I would love to do a bottle - might let me get more sleep at night and help my anxieties. Plus I'm worried that if I don't do a bottle soon it'll be a hard transition as she'll be older and accustomed to BFing.

• DS1 would arch his back and fuss/cry during feedings. It was awful because he was hungry but didn't want to eat. We'd have to take tons of breaks to let him calm down. He spit up a lot early on, but that lessened with age. If we laid him flat, he would just cry and cry. He was fussy after feedings as well, and before the zantac the binky was the only thing we found that helped.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had an oversupply issue at the beginning as well which made nursing with the reflux 10 times worse. It has slowly adjusted though to his needs and is now much more manageable. I think once you are able to pump and introduce a bottle it will help to make your life a little easier too. It has helped a lot to know that DH can get up during the night if I need a little sleep. Especially with having a fussy baby from the reflux. 

• With DS, we were prescribed ranitidine for his silent reflux as gripe water and cutting dairy did very little. We also propped his crib mattress with a crib wedge or there were a few nights he slept in his vibrating seat.

DD has reflux too, we are going to see pedi GI in a week or so. Her pediatrician saw her this past week and said with certainty that she had it. I'm hoping ranitidine will help her too.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Our pediatrician told us yoday to add a probiotic along with the Zantac. He said it's been shown to help with the reflux and colic. He mentioned Culturelle probiotic kids packets. One packet mixed in a bottle once a day. We'll see how it goes.
    DS born 7/5/2001
    Married DH 2010
    TTC since 2010
    8 IUI and 2 IVF cycles
    BFP - TWINS! - Lost twin A at 17w5d 
    Still pregnant with Twin B!!!! Due 10/16/2014
    Hospital bed rest 5/10-7/20
    William born at 27 weeks and 3 days

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"