3rd Trimester

Used toys for baby

My friend is a nanny and for my baby shower, she got me some used plastic toys.  They are very obviously used and they don't look like they were cleaned well, because I see build up on them. Would you sterilize and use the used toys?  I feel kinda gross doing that because I know these will eventually go into the baby's mouth.

Re: Used toys for baby

• I pretty much only buy toys at consignment stores (plastic toys, not chewer type ones) then clean them with bleach/clorox solution and then baby wipes on top of that. Never had any problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • Rainbow17 said:
    My friend is a nanny and for my baby shower, she got me some used plastic toys.  They are very obviously used and they don't look like they were cleaned well, because I see build up on them. Would you sterilize and use the used toys?  I feel kinda gross doing that because I know these will eventually go into the baby's mouth.
    I'd take a close look at them before I put any work into them - is this something baby will use in the next 6 months? Do all the bits and pieces look intact? Does it look like a toy that's worth keeping or is it just going to add clutter? 

If it's a plastic toy that's all in one piece, can be used in the next 6 months and looks like it'll be interesting, I'd keep it, if not, I'd toss it, but that's just me, I don't like clutter or keeping things that I'll only 'maybe' use. 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My step-MIL used to bring over used toys that were icky and I've thrown many of them away. One of them smelled like something had died and rotted on top of it and there was another (plastic music book) that had an entire nasty moldy crushed cracker inside one of the pages. They weren't even worth my time to try and clean. It's one of my pet peeves (not cleaning toys and then selling or giving them away).

• I'm not opposed to used toys... I grew up with them, but you have to do what you are comfortable with as the parent. I agree with sending the thank you even if you toss them.
    :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • do a preliminary sort- what are would you be interested in keeping if you can get them clean?
    Put your effort into those adn clean them up.  I have no issues with used toys as long as they can be cleaned and don't have any pieces missing.  

Seriously, baby is going to put a lot worse in their mouth.  And also if you think about it.  Toys at daycare are used and used and used, and they clean them and use them again.   So, as long as the toy isn't broken, rotten/disinigrating, then i would clean them and use them.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I got used baby toys from a friend and threw them all in the washing machine. They were all in great condition but if you
  • I am a big fan of consignment shops I usually only buy used toys that I can soak in bleach or throw in the washer. Even with my first born had of her first xmas come from a consignment shop. I just like a good deal but I would never gift used toys. I would offer them as a hand me down but not a gift. I find this odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"