Breastfeeding

bruised nipples (Updated in a comment)

NADA-HNADA-H member
edited October 2014 in Breastfeeding
Hi ladies,

I have had mildly cracked nipples when I started breast feeding and a tiny dark red bruise developed on the tip of my nipple at the time (first 4 weeks) I stopped noticing the bruises back then and was using lanolin. I had started pumping once my baby was 4 weeks at the time since I was going back to work when she was 6 weeks so that I would get my baby to start getting used to the bottle and my body getting used to the pump.

my baby is now 13 weeks old and I've been pumping daily at work 3 times and nursing in the evening and early morning, also sometimes in the weekend when I need to go get something done so that my baby would have a bottle. About a week ago I noticed blue/black bruises on the tip of both nipples and they hurt when I breast feed/pump. I think it might be because I recently tried using higher settings on my pump, they were comfortable to use at times and not comfortable some other times, when I felt uncomfortable I'd revert back to the lower settings. the size of the flange is ok, its the very tip of the nipple that's getting bruised and not the sides so this part mostly doesn't rub against anything.

Is there anything I can do to heal my nipples? I started dreading pumping and nursing. I can't nurse instead of pump because I'm away from my baby from 7am to 5pm inclusive of the commute and she needs to take the bottle at day care.
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: bruised nipples (Updated in a comment)

• I've beeb trying to lower the suction options on my pump for the last 9 days and giving my nipples time to airdry with milk on but the dark blue bruises are not subsiding... Did i damage my nipples for good? :(
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Have you tried the hot/cold compresses like Amy suggested?
  • Loading the player...
  • Never got to because i pump at work and have no access to a microwave to heat. Do i just do the packs at home at any time?
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • NADA-H said:

Never got to because i pump at work and have no access to a microwave to heat. Do i just do the packs at home at any time?

Can't hurt and I'm sure after a long day of pumping and nursing, it will give you some relief.
  • edited October 2014
    Everybody skin is different! Some women benefit simply from Lanolin, others dr newman cream and also Silverette! Also i would get checked by a doctor to look for thrush! The pump for me was almost more painful than breastfeeding!
  • yeah breast feeding is so much easier and less painful...I will try going back to lanolin as well and see if I get any progress
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"