TTC After a Loss

Can I ask your advice? D&C

So my MC was discovered on 10/2 and I took cytotec that Friday.  It didn't work and took another dose on Monday 10/6.  The dose on Monday was successful.  I went for a check up a week later and the dr said I had a small clot still remaining.  It passed that same day.  Went back yesterday for a two week checkup and the US showed some vascular tissue still remaining.  (Not sure why she didn't tell me this at the last appt., she made it seem like the clot/tissue would pass on its own within a week). 

Anyway, she offered another dose of cytotec and/or wait for it to pass on its own or a D&C.  My D&C is scheduled for Monday and I'm starting to chicken out.  She mentioned the small risks associated with a D&C, but I know tons of people have them with no complications.  I really was trying to avoid surgery and I don't know if I should try the medicine again.  But mostly, I just want this to be done and get back to TTC.  I feel like so much time has been lost already.  She says the D&C should be really quick and easy since it is only a small piece of tissue.  I'm also hoping that my levels have already started dropping and I might (FX) get a period in November.

I know I have to make the decision but does anyone have any opinions or experience they'd like to share?

BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                             BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                             BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                   BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      

Re: Can I ask your advice? D&C

• I'm sorry for your loss. I had a D&E with my loss and honestly the anticipation leading up to the procedure was way worse then the actual surgery. My recovery was a breeze. If I am ever put in the situation again I would choose to do another D&E/D&C.

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• I'm sorry you are faced with this decision. If I were in your shoes I'd probably opt to try the medication one more time. I've had 2 D&Cs and although the complications are rare I developed scarring from them which led to me being benched for over 18 months and needing additional surgery to correct it. I know there is no guarantee with the meds but I would try it and hope for the best. If it doesn't work then clearly the D&C is your only option and I would do that.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you are faced with this decision. If I were in your shoes I'd probably opt to try the medication one more time. I've had 2 D&Cs and although the complications are rare I developed scarring from them which led to me being benched for over 18 months and needing additional surgery to correct it. I know there is no guarantee with the meds but I would try it and hope for the best. If it doesn't work then clearly the D&C is your only option and I would do that.

This is what I'm so scared of. :(
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • I didn't have a D&C, but was presented the option to.   The fear of scarring was definitely a big factor in my decision not to.  I was also only measuring six weeks.  The night before I was supposed to go in for Cytotec, the natural process took over.  It was really painful for me, physically, and lasted for about 7 hours. 

When all is said and done, I'm glad I opted to not to a D&C due to the scarring risk, however, if I'm ever faced with the decision again, I can't say I wouldn't take it.  It was hard waiting all week for the process to happen.

Good luck on whatever you decide, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

***Siggy Warning - loss mentioned***

Pregnancy Ticker

*S15 Siggy January Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance*

ME: 32   DH: 38

BFP#1 - 7/18/14; EDD 3/23/14; MMC 8/11/14 (passed naturally on 8/17/14)

BFP#2 - 12/29/14; EDD 9/10/15 *PLEASE BE OUR RAINBOW!*

• I'm sorry you are dealing with this. If you do go with the D&C, will the doctor do a hysterocopy with it? Most initial D&Cs are done "blind." If they are doing this for the purpose of a bit of retained tissue, I would only do it if they are doing the hysteroscopy so that the doctor can focus just where they need to and so they can ensure they get everything. I had retained tissue after my D&C. Tried Cytotec and I still didn't pass everything so I had a second D&C with hysteroscopy.

Me: 34; DH: 38; SD: 9
    TTC #1 since November 2013

BFP #1: 2/4/14--EDD 10/14/14--CP 2/8/14

BFP #2: 3/1/14--EDD 11/15/14--MMC at 12w6d (baby stopped developing at 11w4d)
    D&C 5/13/14; Retained Tissue Found: Cytotec 5/30/14; 2nd D&C 6/20/14

BFP #3: 12/13/14--EDD 8/27/15--MMC at 7 weeks (no fetal pole and measuring 1 1/2 weeks behind)--Cytotec 1/9/15

January 2015: Off to RE for RPL testing

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAugust 4

• I would also try the pills again. On MC#1, I didn't even know about the meds (I ended up under "nobody's care"). When I finally went to the ER (bc nobody would see me), an ER doc literally just went in and pulled out the remaining tissue. Painless. Sounds like your situation is more complicated, but just wanted to offer this other sort of experience.

MC#3, I did have a D&C and it was marvelous (bypassing all these other interventions that needed to happen, kind of like your experience). If I did have complications, I don't know about it. Good luck!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Thank you all so much for your responses.  I've got a call into my doctor.  I guess I'm going to try the medicine again one more time and D&C is still scheduled for Monday.  I want a D&C because I just want this to be over but I'm so scared of complications.  I just wish I could decide.  Ugh.

image  image                                                                      
  • scout336 said:
    Thank you all so much for your responses.  I've got a call into my doctor.  I guess I'm going to try the medicine again one more time and D&C is still scheduled for Monday.  I want a D&C because I just want this to be over but I'm so scared of complications.  I just wish I could decide.  Ugh.
    I hear ya.  I just took the meds last week and it didn't work, so I was agonizing over it all weekend.  Monday, the tissue finally came out, but this was totally luck and I was well on my way to the D&C.  Last time (different doctor) they just did a D&E (this wasn't offered as an alternative to the D&C, she offered another round of meds or that and just did it right there when I went in for the follow up).  Could you ask the doctor if a D&E would be ok?  It was much less invasive and I felt well enough to go to work afterwards and no general anesthetic needed.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.  There is no good answer.  I am of the exact same mindset, I just want it to be over, and the D&C seems to be the fastest way to get there, but surgery really scares me.  

I think you have hit on an elegant solution that minimizes wasted time.  Fingers crossed for you this weekend that it works.  (side note, are you taking the pills vaginally?  There is some evidence that this makes it work better, but there are side effects, so check with your doctor if this is an option.)
  • @McSarah1104, I need to research the difference between a D&C and D&E.  I don't know if a D&E is an option.  I have taken the pills vaginally and (thought) they worked well after the second dose.

image  image                                                                      
  • scout336 said:
    @McSarah1104, I need to research the difference between a D&C and D&E.  I don't know if a D&E is an option.  I have taken the pills vaginally and (thought) they worked well after the second dose.
    I tried to google it but it seems there is some confusion about the two, but when she did mine, she used hand suction tools instead of scraping.
  • @Sterling13, I'm not sure if there are other medicines I can take.  I have so many questions now that of course I didn't think to ask at my appt. yesterday.  I'm second guessing everything and I hate that. :/

image  image                                                                      
  • @Sterling13, I'm still waiting on a callback from the nurse.  We've already talked once today, she just needed to talk to the doctor again.

image  image                                                                      
  • If the meds don't work and you need to have a d&c can you ask them for the less evasive suction type ( mentioned above). I had this with my last loss, it was by far the best experience ( of experiences you never wish to have) than my others. Plus I was really scared of scarring too which is more common with the curretage form.
    Good luck with the meds
    Married to a wonderful man

TTC since 2001

4 losses - last one in september 2014 (9 weeks - male trisomy 15)

High FSH and low ovarian reserve

Ever hopeful that one day my dreams will come true
  • If the meds don't work and you need to have a d&c can you ask them for the less evasive suction type ( mentioned above). I had this with my last loss, it was by far the best experience ( of experiences you never wish to have) than my others. Plus I was really scared of scarring too which is more common with the curretage form. Good luck with the meds
    Just for the record, I could be totally wrong that the 'less evasive suction type' is actually called a D&E. But @kyliehopeful hit what I am referring to exactly on the head.

I felt like I should write this because I wouldn't want @scout336 to ask for something that isn't the thing we are talking about!!! 
  • For anyone still following this, the medicine did absolutely nothing.  I didn't even bleed last night.    So D&C is still on for Monday.  But I am very glad that I had time to try one more time.  My betas from Wednesday were 33, which I find very encouraging.  I'll stop being an AW now.  Thank you again for all your suggestions and advice.

image  image                                                                      
  • You tried, which is all you can ask of yourself!  So sorry it turned out this way, but fingers crossed for all to be over and done with before you know it.

xxoo
  • I'm so sorry that the cytotec didn't work for you. I hope the D&C goes smoothly for you on Monday.
    BFP #1: 5-14-2010, DD born 1-22-2011
    BFP #2: 4-20-2012, Natural MC 5-1-2012
    BFP #3: 7-19-2012, DS born 3-27-2013
    BFP #4: 9-13-2014, MMC discovered 10-27-14 at 10w, d&c on 11-6-14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"